It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: (Update)Tropical Storm Jeanne Kills Over 600 in Haiti

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Not even a full blown hurricane, Tropical Storm Jeanne which has been lingering in the Caribbean dumping torrential rains over the islands of Puerto Rico and Hispaniola has now claimed the lives of over 600 Haitians. The massive flooding of the island of Hispaniola was especially felt in the city of Gonaives, Haiti, where swollen rivers destroyed homes and swept away entire families. Dozens of people are still unaccounted for and the death toll is expected to rise.

www.miami.com
Some 500 bodies have been brought to the morgue in Gonaives and another 56 died in the northern coastal city of Port-de-Paix, said Toussaint Kongo-Doudou, a spokesman for the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Haiti. An additional 17 died in the nearby town of Terre Neuve, officials said.

Dieufort Deslorges, a spokesman for the government civil protection agency, reported another 49 bodies recovered in other villages and towns, most in the northwest.

Much of Gonaives was still under waist-deep water Sunday, and aid workers were having trouble evacuating all the people in need, said Dieufort Deslorges, of the Haitian Ministry of Interior.

Residents told journalists the floods caught the town by surprise Saturday night.

Jean-Baptiste Agilus, 46, said he watched the water engulf houses in his neighborhood, filling some with 13 feet of water. He saw one neighbor run from his house, saying his wife and two children, ages 12 and 15, were swept away in the flood. ''The water rushed into their home, all the homes in the neighborhood,'' said Agilus, a teacher. ``It destroyed everything.''

United Nations officials said they were planning to send trucks and helicopters into the flooded areas today to assess the damage and deliver water and food.

The Associated Press reported that Prime Minister Gerard Latortue and his interior minister toured the area in a UN truck, but could not reach many areas because of flooded roads.

''We don't know how many dead there are,'' Latortue was quoted as saying. ``2004 has been a terrible year.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tropical Storm Jeanne is still lingering in the Caribbean over the southern Bahamas. The storm is not expected to impact the U.S., but meteorologists are monitoring the storm as it seems to be making loop in a forecast filled with uncertainity. T.S. Jeanne is trapped between the flow of a weak mid-level trough and a ridge of high pressure.
Update: The death now stands at over 600. The landscape of Haiti has been so deforested that the heavy rains of Hurricane Jeanne caused massive flooding and mudslides.

Related News Link:
More than 600 bodies found in Haiti
Tropical Storm Jeanne Kills More Than 620 In Haiti
Related ATS Discussion Threads:
Island of 26,000 missing for 2 days now - (La Tortue, Haiti)

[edit on 9-21-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Jeanne's Uncertain Path
Forecast by Accuweather

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Karl is frickin' huge...and one big nasty storm... That's the one I'm watching with a weary eye. Doesn't seem like it will get near us, but a LOT of time left with that one.

Finally got around to unboarding, etc. from Charlie, Fran, then Ivan. Might be putting them back up though, who knows? At least I'm still pretty stocked... Been slowly going through some of the canned goods, etc. though, so may need to bulk up. This time though, it's got to be pretty damned close before I start spending more $ though....

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i share your sentiments, I am strapped for cash since preparing for Frances, I have kept my shutters up on the second story of my house but took off all of the downstairs ones, I can't stand living in the dark.

As for Karl, even though he is a monster, he's too far off and the general consensus is that he won't be visiting the US, but Jeanne worries me, just meandering around right off shore, even if she doesn't become a strong hurricane, the potential for flooding is there.....oh yeah and now we has T.S. Lisa to watch. what a busy season

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I called my mother when the storm was over the Island in PR. and they were without electricity for 2 days, now the Island of PR, is different in the structure of their houses, they are block and cement and that stands the hurracanes better.

Places like Dominican Republic, Hiti, and most of the caribean Island, houses structures are made of wood and many of card board due to the poverty in the Islands, cement and block is mostly for the ones that can afford them. It's very sad that the death toll from these places is always higer.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Update:
Over 300 dead in Haiti...

Jeanne Kills 300

"Aid workers in Haiti say more than 300 people died from flooding and mudslides triggered by Tropical Storm Jeanne last week.

U.N. workers say most of the deaths were in the northern capital of Gonaives, which remains under water."

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Oh no...

Now I came across this article.
It�s worse, ...much worse.
They say at least 570 and the toll expected to rise...

Floods Kill Hundreds as Storm Ravages Haiti

"Bloated bodies and weeping relatives filled mortuaries today as Tropical Storm Jeanne killed more than 570 Haitians with the toll expected to rise."

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Death toll now stands at over 600 people....

From a tropical storm!!!???

Perhaps bamboo and reeds aren't preferred home building materials?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   
thanks for the contributing to the story, I have updated it to reflect the current numbers.

[edit on 9-21-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
(400,000) Haitian-Americans try to get news from flood-stricken home (4 days and no photos yet)
www.miami.com...

Why after 3 days of hearing that there was no contact with Tortue island, do we hear that in the Island "nothing happened" ?

Why didn't we get any footage from the main impact area (Tortue island, Port au Paix), 4 days later ?

How is it possible that it takes 4 days to find out that "floods and mudslides had also gutted at least one-third of the homes in Port de Paix, an impoverished northern coastal town of 35,000," ?

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
She's not dead yet. She is on her way back to the states. She is a Cat.2.
Could make land fall by monday.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
death toll is currently over 700 dead with over 1000 still missing according to the latest news. I am still wondering about La Tortue too, perhaps the island was so devasted that they still havent been able to get word out, but you would think we know what happened there by now.

[edit on 9-22-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
She's not dead yet. She is on her way back to the states. She is a Cat.2.
Could make land fall by monday.

Considering how "well" their predictions have been so far with the different hurricanes, I won�t be surprised if she�d go for Haiti again...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
death toll is currently over 700 with over 1000 still missing according to the latest news. I am still wondering about La Tortue too, perhaps the island was so devasted that they still havent been able to get word out, but you would think we know what happened there by now.

"Chuck Stevenson" posted the following link in Island of 26,000 missing for 2 days now - (La Tortue, Haiti) :

(Link here):
Rebels seize Haiti's Tortue Island

Quite interesting, and it might explain the silence maybe...

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Quite interesting, and it might explain the silence maybe...

Not really ... I added the explanation in the thread.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I guess it�s time for an update...

Official numbers are now:
1.050 dead
1.250 missing

NDTV: Haiti floods: Death toll rises

new topics

top topics

join