It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

google chrome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
hi all i just wanted to make sure google chrome is worth downloading? I've read all over about how google is collecting data ect and then i read people advising others to use google chrome?

I may be missing something but wouldnt that be the last thing to use?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by intuitive

Depends on what you are using it for.
Chrome is a good browser. It has it's bugs but so do other browsers.
For my money Firefox is the best.
With ie9 second.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Im a long time firefox user and while im conserned that im being targetted and tracked ive never changed my browser choice unless there was an urgent problem, like being suseptable to data stealing virus etc which Internet Explorer suffered time and time again.

Firefox is still my fave and i tryed every other browser at some point as a part of my job in IT.

edit on 2-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I like Chrome. I use it for everything.

Sometimes there are sites with features where you have to switch to Firefox or IE. But mostly it works for everything.

Firefox is good also.

You might also consider Ubuntu to replace your windows opsys.

You can run it from a thumb drive to try it out so you don't have to wipe your c drive. Oh, and look a new beta version.

www.ubuntu.com...

'K

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Google collects all the data it needs from Google Analytics and the +1's everyone seems to be using anymore. I use them on my sites, and I can tell you I see about everything I could want to know about my visitors....and that is coming after Google has collected, parsed and sorted that data in their own servers. I'm sure they got more out of it than I did. lol.... So not using their browser won't make much difference. Google's hoover for info gets you from all directions.

I've found Chrome to be the best strictly for it's smaller memory footprint and lack of related issues I had no end of problems with on FireFox. I still have FF for Tor and a couple other things...but it's just too resource ...unstable.. for lack of a better description. Especially when I'm really going on something and have a couple windows open with a dozen tabs each. FireFox all but crawls for me there and memory usage shows it...where Chrome still flys.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
thanks guys for all the replys,

At the minute im using IE9 on W7, And im not the most savvy lad on a laptop lol, I do understand what some are saying but not other's and i also dont have the OS disk either which stops me from using other OS or fixing mine if i go t#ts up. But i do like my OS so i dont need to change that.

But i just read of people using multiple browsers ect i've always stuck to 1 and i dont wanna be missing out on making the most out of my lappy lol.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I go with firefox because of the real time spell check.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Now this is something i most certainly can do with ! lol

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Chrome is fast and capable. I use it all the time. As for googles privacy policy, they collect serch data sure but if you have an account and sign in you can turn this off so no data is recorded....... So they say

Its in your account options. Give it a try, whats the worst that can happen?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Chrome has this feature too I think?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I use Chrome for everything except for a few company websites that require IE (I use version 9). Chrome is fast and uses less resources than other browsers. I find Firefox and Safari use a lot of memory and since I typically have many programs/browser tabs on the go at any given time, any resources I can save makes my whole system run better. Chrome does have spell check built in as a previous poster suggested.

As for privacy, I don't think using Chrome is going to give up any more info than Google has already gotten from you. When you search in Google, view videos on YouTube or have an Android phone Google is busy collecting and storing all of that info anyway. I certainly wouldn't rule out using Chrome for any privacy reasons.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I haven't used firefox but I've only heard good things.

I now use Chrome after years of using Internet Explorer, it's a lot better!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Actually Google just put out a challenge where you get up to 60,000 if you can hack chrome at the 2012 edition of pwn2own. That kind of confidence in a product is reassuring. As far as the privacy concerns I do not like the policy of Google, however if you use g-mail or you tube you are already using the privacy policy of Google. If you are concerned about privacy issues maybe a vpn is in order. As far as IE goes i would never recommend it PERIOD! Firefox or chrome FTW.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Well im going to download chrome guys, Thanks for the help and im sure it may help others to
Its always better to ask first! lol

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grifter81

Chrome has this feature too I think?

I think you're right.

I use Chrome almost all the time, but I use Firefox whenever something won't open in Chrome. I definitely recommend getting Chrome over Firefox. It's fast, smooth, and has a lot of customization options!
But then again, so does Firefox.
You could always try them both and just hang on to the other for whenever the other doesn't work for some reason :]

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Google Chrome has a built-in spell-checker that uses the dictionary to automatically checks spelling in web forms and text fields, Google search engine has even better spell-checker, Chrome dev channel released today integrates Google online spelling service into Chrome, this is a opt-in service which you need to select “Ask Google for suggestions” from Spell-Checker Options menu located on the text box context menu.

Enable Google Spell-Checker Service for Chrome to Provide Smart Spell-Checking
You can right-click on search box on Google, from Spell-checker options menu select Ask Google for suggestions and click Enable button. All these typed words will be sent to Google servers from Chrome for spell-checking technology used by Google search, this may take a while for suggestions to appear.

techdows.com...

Chrome apparently has a spell check as well as firefox, I will definitely give chrome a try.

edit on 2-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

top topics

join