It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vets feel abandoned after secret drug experiments

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Vets feel abandoned after secret drug experiments

edition.cnn.com

From 1955 to 1975, military researchers at Edgewood were using not only animals but human subjects to test a witches' brew of drugs and chemicals. They ranged from potentially lethal nerve gases like VX and sarin to incapacitating agents like BZ.

He was told never to talk about his experiences at Edgewood and to forget about everything he ever did, said or heard at the Maryland base
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Actually it's a pretty sad story if you read the entire article.

In his mid-50s, Josephs was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, a progressive neurological condition that forced him to retire early. Medications cost $2,000 a month, which he was paying for out of pocket

Josephs says he now takes two dozen pills daily.

His entire life has changed because of the tests, he won't even have children because of it.

A complete change in life is what he got
And he seems like a pretty good guy as well

What I also found interesting is what he spoke about regarding how things were a long time ago:

"I really felt a duty to my country to go and serve," he said. "Things were different back then. You believed in your government. And you just wouldn't think they would give you something that would harm you intentionally."

How much times have changed, today many people do not trust government
Of course still many people do
But the truth of the matter is if you look beyond the facade it is quite a sad reality

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

My friends father is a Vietnam vet and the US Gov't secretly ran projects on those vets, such as you have posted, and a few years back the US Gov't owned up to their mistakes and have begun to pay my friends father compensation for whatever it is they did to him during that time.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
An interesting addition to your OP... www.abovetopsecret.com...

It appears that there is always someone, somewhere who can justify the kind of acts that decades later seem entirely "out of control" and "inhumane."

... and unless I am completely mistaken... it's always based on some fabricated fear, or notional gain - except for the subjects of the test.. who are apparently; just pawns to them.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I miss those old cotton utilities cause they press up so nice and are so comfortable. But why do I always turn left at a door way?
Glad I joined in 79 I guess

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
You join the military, you are basically becoming a "pawn" controlled by your leader, in his/her global game of chess. Are people really that surprised that they would sacrifice "pawns" for the "greater good"? I am not, in chess people will sacrifice anything but the queen, probably in the leader's mind themselves, to achieve victory....

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
While unconfirmed, I remember when my husband came back from the first gulf war, he told me a lot of stories of the drugs that were given to him and many others that supposedly were experimental, to help them fight back whatever chemical or biological warfare they could face while US was attacking Iraq, the drugs were manufactured for the soldiers in the field only.

My husband said that they will come two times a day to give them their pills and it wasn't just one but several, they never were told exactly what was in the pills, but he stop taking them when he started to have reactions to them.

He said he spend weeks with urinary track problems that he never experienced before in his life.

Still the pill pushing stopped and the ones he kept at his desk while station in Saudi, disappeared.

Now we all know the big deal about the gulf war syndrome and while the government keeps telling that is not such thing my husband have a page in his military health records with references of the gulf war syndrome and the months that he spend in Saudi.

I thing that the drug testing among the military is still going on.

Now that my husband is retire he said that the thing he do not miss at all is all the darn vaccinations and injections he used to endure every year.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You're correct in the fact that when you join the US forces you become Gov't property. That said, we are all still humans who deserve the right to know what the Gov't, we swore to protect, is doing to us.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

As a Vet myself, I only have one response.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S+F for you

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Oh I agree, but the ones pushing the "pawns" could care less how anyone else feels about it. If the pushers looked at the "pawns" as real people, and actually had any compassion, 99% of wars never would have happened.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
You join the military, you are basically becoming a "pawn" controlled by your leader, in his/her global game of chess. Are people really that surprised that they would sacrifice "pawns" for the "greater good"? I am not, in chess people will sacrifice anything but the queen, probably in the leader's mind themselves, to achieve victory....

Except that it is not just military personnel being exposed .. apologies to dilute the OP with extraneous data - but if it were "only" military folks (as if that made it OK) there could be some argument behind - "you signed up for it - quit complaining." Truth is 'signed up for' or no - exposing someone to long term toxicity and or debilitating infirmity is not 'acceptable' military doctrine...
edit on 2-3-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
A lot of this army testing took place under MK-ULTRA.

Our government has a long history of such testing without knowledge or consent... even to the point of killing people. Here's an official ats thread delineating a lot of it: link.

Here's a list of many of the drugs used in MK-ULTRA I posted in another thread on the subject: link.

Here are some videos in a congressional inquiry describing tests with radiation on civilians from Operation paperclip doctors (radiation tests were done on both civilian and military as part of MK-ULTRA:

Here is an official army video where the chemical corps (at the heart of the Army branch of MK ULTRA) experimented on soldiers:

MK ULTRA was done on all branches of the military and the unknowing civilians:

I have an extensive list of videos in my youtube playlists for more information: link.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Now we all know the big deal about the gulf war syndrome and while the government keeps telling that is not such thing my husband have a page in his military health records with references of the gulf war syndrome and the months that he spend in Saudi.

The gov is now admitting Gulf War Illness (not called syndrome anymore) is real, it's just not admitting to any cause.

I was officially diagnosed with GWI by the VA, after fighting them for 12 years.

WASHINGTON — The Veterans Affairs Department says it will look again at the rejected claims of veterans who say their Gulf War service caused a mysterious illness, the first step toward potentially compensating them nearly two decades after the war ended.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

The panel “identified chronic multi-symptom illnesses, sometimes referred to as Gulf War illness, as a group of illnesses that is clearly associated with deployment,” said report committee chair Dr. Stephen L. Hauser, professor and chair of neurology at the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine.

healthomg.com...

I went through GWI testing 12 years ago with the UCSF and they said I had symptoms, but the VA at that time refused to listen. But as my symptoms got worse over time, with the docs unable to find a cause for my numerous health problems, they finally had to admit what it was.

Yes military personal are used as guinea pigs for all sorts of testing.

The Anthrax Vaccine: Why You Should Be Concerned

FMRI reveals abnormal central processing of sensory and pain stimuli in ill Gulf War veterans.

You husband should not give up, every time he sees the doctor mention GWI. I was starting to feel like a crazy hypochondriac for awhile, and I thought I was being ignored when I mentioned it, but out of the blue my doc tells me based on an exam I had in 2001 with Environmental Health, and my condition since, they have diagnosed me with GWI. Don't give up.

edit on 3/2/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Piano Praze, something you may be interested in...

CIA mind control victims win cash claims

HUNDREDS of mentally ill patients who were subjected to barbaric CIA-funded brainwashing experiments by a Scottish doctor could be entitled to compensation following a landmark court ruling.
Doctor Ewan Cameron, who became one of the world’s leading psychiatrists, developed techniques used by Nazi scientists to wipe out the existing personalities of people in his care.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

This most be recently because I remember that my husband got a letter a while back that it was not links to any gulf war syndrome.

But occurs as a retired marine my husband already have Veteran's benefits. What the government doesn't want to give is more benefits to those that are sick but can not collect veterans benefits.

I guess changing the wording will keep the government from becoming under more scrutiny due to what went on during the first gulf war.

I wish somebody would have some example of the pills they were given to them, but also my husband sign a paper in relation of divulging information on the matter.

Ain't the government deceiving, dirty and corrupted?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Experimental Drugs Linked To Gulf War Veterans' Ills

Senator John D. Rockefeller 4th, chairman of the Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee, said his panel's staff had spent six months looking into possible causes of the ailments reported by the veterans and had found a link with drugs given experimentally to more than 400,000 of the 700,000 troops who served in the war.

That is a lot of possible liabilities to the government if they were all to receive government benefits from illnesses due experimental drugs

Some of the symptoms, including nausea, cramps, vomiting, skin rashes, breathing difficulty and short-term memory loss, are similar to side effects seen in studies of some of these drugs, Mr. Rockefeller said. One of the drugs, pyridostigmine bromide, was taken in pill form by more than 400,000 military people to help protect them against nerve gas

Sadly is an ugly side of our own government we people tend to never think about it because it robs them out of their dream ideology of what a freedom loving and trusting government is all about.

www.nytimes.com...

"For more then 50 years, hundreds of thousands of military personnel have been involved in human experimentation and other intentional exposures conducted by the Department of Defense (DoD), often without soldiers' knowledge or consent. Our May 6, 1994, hearing examines the extent to which these exposures endangered individuals who are now veterans, and explores the implications for soldiers and veterans today...

"U.S. troops [in the Persian Gulf War] were intentionally exposed to investigation drugs and vaccines... In still other cases, soldiers were exposed to biological agents or other dangerous substances that DoD was studying; the goal was to study the substances, not their effect on humans...

thinktwice.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by ANOK

This most be recently because I remember that my husband got a letter a while back that it was not links to any gulf war syndrome.

Yes it is all very recent. I got the same thing as your husband the first time I applied for benefits. I had pretty much given up on ever being taken seriously, was being told it was all in my head.

Did he do the Gulf War registry exam? That is the starting point. That is done by environmental health at the VA, it took them 12 years but they finally diagnosed me. They are taking it more seriously now. Even Veterans Services told me they have changed how they treat GW vets now.

Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses 2011 Task Force Report

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Some of the symptoms, including nausea, cramps, vomiting, skin rashes, breathing difficulty and short-term memory loss, are similar to side effects seen in studies of some of these drugs, Mr. Rockefeller said. One of the drugs, pyridostigmine bromide, was taken in pill form by more than 400,000 military people to help protect them against nerve gas

There is more than that to it. Brittle bone disease and other degenerative joint problems, pancreatitis and other unexplained gastro problems, inflammatory bowel disease, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression/anxiety, even Lou Gehrig's and Parkinson's disease.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Yes is more to the side effects that is been posted, but as usual just like big pharma drug side effects the worst of it you can only find it on internet sites that talks about the issue.

Like I said my husband been a retire marine with benefits never received the latest news of the gulf syndrome but he received a questionnaire at work to fill in (he works for the defense department) so any news he gets them on secure sites in the military base he works as a civilian.

I hope everything goes well with you, all the veterans from the gulf war deserve the care they were promised by our government, sadly now veterans every where old and new are having to fight now with reduce benefits under the Obama Administration targeting the defense budget.

My husband is doing ok so far, but he was also exposed to the smoke of oil fields burnings, as the persian gulf veterans start to age more medical problems will keep coming out.

A shame if you ask me.

edit on 2-3-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I wasn't trying to say it's ok, but it is how it is. Would you join a company that has a track record of this kind of thing? They do have a track record of all kinds of horrible things, as does all military forces, that is why they gun for people right out of high school. They really don't know any better yet. They still have what I refer to as immortality syndrome.

Kind of offtopic, but my great uncle(he was in the navy) was pushing me towards joining the military when I was younger, and talking to him actually is one of the major reasons I didn't. One of my qualms, is that I really didn't want to have a part in killing people. He said boot camp would knock that out of me. I really didn't think it was a good idea to have my moral compass knocked out of me lol.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join