I'm Confused.. What is the governments stance on herbal medicine?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So, I love anything free. Who doesn’t?
I am always signing up for free samples and have an email alert I receive for them. So, one day there is a free herb guide on the list so of course I sent for it.
“herbs at a glance A quick guide to herbal supplements”

Well, it arrived in the mail the other day and imagine my surprise when I notice it is put out by the U.S. Department of health and human services. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicines.

What?
I was under the impression that the government did not want you using herbs for medicine.

Here’s how the booklet reads.
The herb
Common names
Latin names
What it is used for example: stomach ulcers, bronchitis, sore throat.
How it is used: how it can be purchased
What the science says: Studies that have been done and results
Side effects and cautions

I was surprised by some of the honesty in what the science says section, as they do say that not a lot of clinical trials and studies have been done. They of course have the NCCAM funded investigation results as well. There is also a bit of contradicting in it as well.
Example: There is scientific evidence, then, for the same herb, there is not enough scientific evidence.

Overall it is a pretty neat little booklet, and I recommend it as another guide to herbs.

I was just surprised by whom it was putting out this booklet.

For more information:
nccam.nih.gov
nccam.hih.gov/health/supplements/

So, what is/was your impression of the governments stance on herbal medicine?

The more I read, I am curious if anyone has any idea why they would even bother putting out this booklet?

edit on 2-3-2012 by chiefsmom because: question

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
governments stance: if its not from Big Pharma, then its not good for you.

which means its most likely look down upon and would be illegal if their wouldnt be such a huge public backlash

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

That is what I thought too. So why put out this booklet? I mean it is actually informative.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

Here is an interesting article for your information.

FDA ourlaws nearly every natural supplement
(NaturalNews) Yesterday we reported on the FDA's new scheme for outlawing nearly all nutritional supplements formulated after October, 1994
. That was just the beginning of this story, because a detailed analysis of the proposed new regulation reveals extremely disturbing revelations that would absolutely gut the nutritional products industry if these regulations are put into practice.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Glargod

WTH??? After reading through a lot of that article, with this little booklet on my desk, just proves the government is apparently not even aware what is going on within it?

Heck, maybe this booklet is a warning, to go get the plants now and grow them yourself because they won't be available much longer. IDK!!!!!

Thanks for adding to my confusion!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There stance is if we (meaning government) don't own it, you can't buy it. It's not about what is best for you or what heals you, it's about treatment and not cures, money over health. The medicine that brings in the big money wins.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Again, I believe that too.

So everybody, WHY would they send this out?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

If they can't make money off of it, or if they can't control it then they want it eradicated. This goes for drugs, medicine or people.

top topics

join