It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christie Now Says he'd Consider Being Romney VP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Coulda' predicted this change of mind. In fact, I'm sure I did at some point.

News Max

Christie said he would consider being Romney’s running mate, if the former Bain Capital LLC chief executive asked him. The New Jerseyan has endorsed Romney and made campaign appearances on his behalf since ruling himself out of the race last year. Romney won primaries in Michigan and Arizona Feb. 28.

Christie said he doubted that running for vice president was “something I would want to do.” Still, he added, “I won’t rule it out.”

“I owe it to Governor Romney, if he were to ask me the question, to sit and listen to him as to why he thinks I would be the best person to be vice president,” Christie said. “From my perspective, if you’re a betting person, bet on me still being governor of New Jersey in January of 2013.”

He was very clear that he wouldn't run for POTUS. Then he was very clear that he was uninterested in being VPOTUS. NOW .. he's been bitten by the bug .. and says he'd take the job. Honestly, I think it's the only chance Romney has of winning.

Side note - Christie said he thinks he'll still be governor of New Jersey after the elections. I'm wondering if he thinks Obama will be elected. I'm wondering if that was freudian and that he wasn't really referring to him being VPOTUS but that Obama would be reelected. We'll never know for sure .. but it tickled my brain the way he said that.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Side note - Christie said he thinks he'll still be governor of New Jersey after the elections. I'm wondering if he thinks Obama will be elected. I'm wondering if that was freudian and that he wasn't really referring to him being VPOTUS but that Obama would be reelected. We'll never know for sure .. but it tickled my brain the way he said that.

I had the exact same thought when I read his words! If I were a betting man, I would bet on him still being governor also!
Even if he does accept a VP slot, they aren't going to be elected.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
They are not gonna win against Obama. My vote is for RP, but even if R-money gets the nomination, Obama is still gonna win.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Interesting...

There was talk from the GOP Establishment of throwing new hats into the ring if Romney lost Michigan.

Well Romney won Michigan, but not by a big margin, so they are back to grudgingly having to ride it out.

If they can't make Romney more likable in time...and like it or not they have to accept him as the nominee...then that leaves a CRITICAL VP choice in hopes of salvaging thier chances.

Christie has been talked to in this regard. I have no doubt. He would rather sit this year out and take a swing at 2016, but if he takes the VP slot, he would have to agree to wait until 2020 since if Romney won he'd certainly want to run again...does he want to wait that long? Romney would have to really sell him on it...convince him that it is VP now vs. possibly POTUS never.

VP now (certaintity if Romney wins) with not a shot at POTUS till 2020

And if Romney loses Christie will have had a chance to practice for 2016, air his laundry, polish his game.

OR

Possibly (maybe yes maybe no) Potus in 2016.

The field is up for grabs in 2016 without an incumbant.

That is what Christie is weighing.

From a strategic view I don't think Chritie is as a good a choice as many think..

For one he is a bit of mini-me of Romney...well maybe I have that analogy reversed...romney might be a mini-me of Christie

They are both white, moderate, middle-aged governors from Northeastern states.

Christie doesn't satisfy the far right base, doesn't shore up Romney's foriegn affairs credentials (which is a critical role of a VP)

Romney will likely be driven to try and find a game-changer rather than a more likable version of himself.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
when i read the thread title the first thing that came to mind was Laurel and Hardy.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So the best the Republicans can come up with is a car salesman and an overweight sellout?

Nobody but Ron Paul 2012.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I don't see Romney picking Christie as VP, I don't believe Christie would offer all that much to Romney. I mean he will give Romney more of a chance to win New Jersey come election night, but not much else. I also get the feeling that even with Christie on the ticket, New Jersey will still turn blue come election night. I also think that Christie will not fire up conservatives, he comes off to me as more of Romney's ilk, not somebody tea partiers are craving for.

I get the feeling that Romney is looking more towards a possible ticket with Ron Paul or Marco Rubio. They both will benefit him in different ways.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Christie is a piece of #, Im from jersey and everyone I know thinks the same thing. He should be Romneys vp so Romney can lose jersey.

top topics

join