It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DC Metro Ad - "Go to Hell Barack"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yahoo News

But one ad at a DC Metro station -- which starts off criticizing Obama's health care reforms and ends up telling the president to "go to hell" -- goes beyond the pale, says Jim Moran, a Democratic congressman from Virginia.

The advertisement is for "Sick and Sicker: When the Government Becomes Your Doctor," a documentary that interviews Canadian doctors and patients in the hope of showing how dangerous "Obamacare" is for the American people. "Barack Obama wants politicians and bureaucrats to control America’s entire medical system. Go to hell Barack," the ad says.

There was a complaint sent to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority by the congressman. The response he got wasn't what he was looking for.

It turns out that such language is within the accepted limits of American law and such advertisements are protected under the First Amendment of the US constitution, guaranteeing free speech. "WMATA advertising has been ruled by the courts as a public forum protected by the First Amendment of the Constitution, and we may not decline ads based on their political content," the Metro authority said in a written statement.

It's protected free speech. But is it something Americans should be doing to a POTUS?
Or is the POTUS fair game when he does stupid and/or illegal things? ATS - THOUGHTS???
edit on 3/2/2012 by FlyersFan because: add sentence

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A governmental agency actually protecting free speech??? :Looks out window for flying pigs:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Victory for the first amendment! If we can not publicly criticize the president then we are living under a tyrant.

I am sure those people who complained about the ad would have had no problem with an ad that said "Go to Hell George W." back in 2008.
edit on 2-3-2012 by jrod because: yep

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It's been proven that Barack Obama is a liar who has associated, and continues to associate with, the most vile people in the U.S; terrorists and hate-monger masquerading as "Academics" and "Preachers." He has shredded our Constitution, murdered our citizens, and plans to destroy this country so that he can set up his idea of Utopia.

Barack Obama has done more to sully and denigrate the Office of President of the United States than any President before him, including Bush Jr. (Now that was quite a feat), and he deserves nothing but scorn and contempt. I don't think this ad comes close to revealing what many Americans are feeling.

Besides, it said "go to hell Barack Obama" and not "go to hell Office of the President." (Hey, if he can play semantics, so can I.)

I'll chip in for an ad that shows nothing but a middle finger to put on a bus that will circle the White House all day long if anyone wants to go in with me.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

These ads are what will help Obama win a second term

All they are doing is creating sympathy for Obama...and they don't even know it. The more you guys focus on absolutely hating and outright disgusting acts...the more support Obama will recieve.

Keep it up Obama haters...you are pushing him right back into the White House.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I'll chip in for an ad that shows nothing but a middle finger to put on a bus that will circle the White House all day long if anyone wants to go in with me.

This thread presents some topsy turvy stuff, so I would tell you to apply for a govt grant for funding to pull off the bus trick! I like the idea.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here's the trailer for the movie Sicker and Sicker which the ad is referring to I believe...

I don't find it anymore offensive than all the other crap on TV.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I support the free speech aspect. But at the same time it makes me sad. Sad because in America the 'ideal' would be to have someone in office that the people can trust and it's obvious that Americans can't trust the POTUS. "Americana" says respect the POTUS, even give 'em a holiday. We simply can't show the respect or trust that we want to because of those who have been in office. That's sad.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

This guy, Logan Darrow Clements, is soliciting money on Kickstarter.
www.kickstarter.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I still think it's tasteless.

Sounds to me like another fringe group working for the best interests of Big Pharma. Oh wait, doesn't Obama's plan also do that?

What a bunch of dolts.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by QueSeraSera

Oh, and all of his 16 backers for the project are listed, too.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
"Go to hell Barack"

Been saying that for the past 3 years and will continue to say it if people have a problem with free speech then why my how fascist of you.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The office of president is not some protected species.
One of the great things about America is that we CAN say what we feel.

S&F for bringing this up!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Sure. I agree. I just wish we had people in office that were better so that Americans could have some pride in putting their best forward. But instead look at what we've had in office. It's just sad sad sad ...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

These ads are what will help Obama win a second term

All they are doing is creating sympathy for Obama...and they don't even know it. The more you guys focus on absolutely hating and outright disgusting acts...the more support Obama will recieve.

Keep it up Obama haters...you are pushing him right back into the White House.

Not only that but the ad essentially reads (paraphrasing here): "Obama wants to take medicine out of the hands of private interests who ensure that your body is just a commodity and hand if over to (le gasp!) PUBLIC SERVANTS! Go to hell, Barack. How dare you try to suggest that a poor person's health is as important as a rich person's."

With enemies like that, he doesn't even need friends.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by beezzer

Sure. I agree. I just wish we had people in office that were better so that Americans could have some pride in putting their best forward. But instead look at what we've had in office. It's just sad sad sad ...

Well with congressional approval at -138% (
) and a presidential approval at something close to that, it'll be a while before we can have a politician we can be proud of.

Pity.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

You ever been to a VA (government run) hospital?

Not all that nice, actually.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I swear on everything I love if we can set that up I am game. I will pack my sleeping bags and stuff now.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

If this creates sympathy I will be surprised. If you support him you don't like the ad. If you know jack squat about the issues, unfortunately many Americans will think about it and say: "Wow, he really has somebody stirred up." If you're a little old lady who doesn't like the phrase "Go To Hell" but is wise enough to know the difference between truth and fiction you're wishing you could sign your name to it, too.
edit on 3/2/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/2/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It's not a direct threat against his wellbeing. Therefore, whether we "should" be doing it or not is irrelevant. It's free speech.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join