It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful detailed Jupiter flat map

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Five hand drawn sketches of Jupiter were used to create this beautifully detailed flat map of the ruling gas giant's turbulent cloud tops. Made with colored pencils at the eyepiece of a 16 inch diameter telescope, the original drawings are about 5 inches (12.5 cm) in diameter. The drawn planisphere map dimensions are 16x8 inches (40x20 cm).
Observing on different dates in November and December of 2011, astronomical artist Fred Burgeot has relied on Jupiter's rotation to cover the planet's complete circumference. Digital animator Pascal Chauvet has also translated Burgeot's drawings into an intriguing video (vimeo), synthesizing a telescopic view of the rotating planet with a tilt and phase appropriate for the observing dates. The video includes the Galilean moons moving along their orbits, beginning with Ganymede and Io casting shadows as they glide in front of Jupiter, followed by Europa and Callisto passing behind the planet's banded disk.

Source: APOD

A true-color image of Jupiter taken by the Cassini spacecraft. The Galilean moon Europa casts a shadow on the planet's cloud tops.

Jupiter, the most massive planet in our solar system -- with dozens of moons and an enormous magnetic field -- forms a kind of miniature solar system. Jupiter does resemble a star in composition, but it did not grow big enough to ignite. The planet's swirling cloud stripes are punctuated by massive storms such as the Great Red Spot, which has raged for hundreds of years:

Jupiter and its moons
edit on 2-3-2012 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thanks for the post! I think Jupiter is one of the coolest planets in our solar system!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Awesome stuff-The flat image reminded me of snakeskin!

Last year I got a look at Jupiter through my scope,and I could see a bit of detail,and some of the moons.
Now I have my camera set up,I can't wait to have another crack at it-although I won't get anything like the detail of your images.

One day...

join