It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shooting Star from Jupiter [CWC]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I always go out on my trampoline at night, ever since I was a child. Jumping and flipping into the darkened sky was my way of easing the stress of the day. The headphones would blast whatever music I was into at the time and I would lose myself in the reverie my mind created as I moved.

Tonight was no different. I had just pulled into my driveway after a night out with friends: dinner, a few drinks at the bar, and some embarrassing karaoke solos. It was only 11:30 and I still had the energy from the last few hours coursing through me so I unplugged my iPod from the center consol of the car and made my way inside the house.

My dogs greeted me as I came in; and after the customary dog-fest that occurs every time I enter my house, I went to my room to change into more trampoline appropriate clothes (it was February, so they needed to be warm as well as form fitting). I ended up going with black pants and a black bouclé turtleneck sweater.

Gently placing the ear buds into my ears (and maneuvering the right ear bud around the tragus piercing), I stepped outside into the cold, dark night as my dogs followed gleefully through the doggie door. I crawled onto the 14 foot diameter trampoline and then walked up and down the length of it as a way to center myself before I started jumping. It’s much easier for my body to follow a straight line as it twists and flips through the air, so then my muscles are aware of where I am on the trampoline even though my mind isn’t paying attention.

I scrolled through my iPod before beginning to jump. Tonight I began with Space & Time by VNV Nation. The cold air ripped through my lungs for the first few minutes as I adjusted to the frigid winter night. And occasionally I would notice a slight illumination from an airplane flying directly above. But, being so close to Logan Airport, I’m used to seeing planes overhead.

The sky tonight was exceptionally clear. I had noticed it earlier in the night while standing outside the bar with my friends while they smoked. But now, alone on the trampoline, farther away from the city, the clarity was more distinct than ever. I stopped jumping for a minute, just to look up into the sky and soak up all the celestial bodies that I could see.

I had noticed in the past few months that Jupiter has been more prominent in the sky than usual. At first it alarmed me because I hadn’t made the connection between the gigantic new star in the sky and Jupiter. My curiosity of what that new star was wasn’t quelled until my boyfriend downloaded the Google Sky App for his phone and pointed the camera at the new star. When Google told me that it was just Jupiter, my conspiracy-filled mind calmed down some. Although tonight, Jupiter looked brighter than usual. I just chocked it up to the unusual clarity of the sky.

Returning to my original jumping routine, I didn’t notice the shooting star which traversed the night sky above me until it disappeared over the horizon and resulted in a bright flash of light.
I stopped jumping.
In the past thirteen years of being outside at night, I had never seen a shooting star create a dawn-like brightness in the west. The only thing I could think of was war. What other explanation could there be?

I jumped off the trampoline, pulled out my ear buds and was about to run inside to check the news until I noticed another “shooting star” which appeared as though it originated from Jupiter. So I halted and reversed my steps. I even got back up on the trampoline in order to aid my vision. The whole time, I never took my eyes off of that bright star that Google told me was Jupiter.

Meanwhile, my dogs had all run inside. Apparently they knew something I didn’t. Whereas I was still on the trampoline looking up into the night sky, finding myself grateful that I had kept my contacts in so that I could at least see what was happening clearly. Another light was expelled towards the earth seemingly from Jupiter. The frequency of the “shooting stars” was increasing. But none of them created the same kind of effect as the first one. I reasoned that it was because these subsequent ones didn’t hit us. I couldn’t have possibly known what was really happening outside our little island: Earth.

I stayed on the trampoline and watched another dozen or so “stars” fall from Jupiter before I decided to go inside and check the internet. As I walked in from the backyard, the dogs didn’t greet me. I made my way into my bedroom and heard my phone going off. Deciding to check the phone first, I diverted into the living room. I had multiple texts from my friends in the city telling me that there was something in Boston Common and everyone was going to meet there. My lack of responsibilities and sense of adventure kicked in, so I grabbed my camera and ran out to the car.
Knowing that I wouldn’t be the only person heading into the city to see what was happening, I opted to travel down back roads rather than take the main ones. I think that was the only reason I even made it into the city successfully. I parked my car on some obscure side street that wasn’t Resident Permit Parking Only (which seemed like a miracle in itself that I was able to find such a street in Boston). And I ran down Commonwealth Ave towards the Common.

(continued below)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I was only able to get so close before I encountered road blocks. Helicopters were flying in from various news organizations and I saw multiple black armored vehicles parked around the Common itself. As I stood there among the other onlookers, I checked my phone. Apparently, one of my friends had another acquaintance who happened to live in an apartment adjacent to the park and the two of them were with a group on the roof overlooking the very park that I wanted to get a glimpse of.

I did a little victory fist-pump and then made my way down a side street. But I found that everywhere I went there were people like me wandering around trying to figure out what was happening. It took me about ten minutes to get to the apartment and as I walked I was able to listen in on snip-it’s of conversation. And what surprised me the most was that practically everyone was talking about aliens! Despite the smog of the city, these people still saw the same shooting stars that I did. And according to some of them, one of those stars landed in the Common. Whenever I heard these pieces of information, I just kept walking, trying to get to the apartment quicker.

Finally arriving, my friend came down to let me in. He looked concerned and completely sober (which was concerning in and of itself since he had been drunk at the bar a few hours before). We made our way up to the roof where I was greeted by a bunch of other college-aged kids. One of whom handed me a pair of binoculars and pointed to a specific area in the park. He said, “That’s where it landed” as he handed them to me.

I apprehensively took them in my hands and placed them up to my eyes. I saw military personnel walking around what appeared to be a platinum cylindrical “ship”, of-sorts. As I watched them, I couldn’t help but feel that I, also, was being watched by something. The kid who handed me the binoculars seemed to notice my paranoia and he asked, “You can feel it too, right?”

I needed more information before I could respond, so I simple inquired, “Feel what?”
And he huffed as he said, “Like there’s something else here. Ya know, on the roof. With us.”
I looked over at my friend to try and get confirmation that this kid wasn’t insane. And then I replied, “Well, I guess I feel a bit paranoid. But I wouldn’t go as far as what you said.”
Then a girl over by the door with a laptop spoke up, “Apparently paranoia is being reported all over the place.”
She unplugged her laptop from the extension cord and then walked over to us and pointed to various headlines that illustrated her point. It was the first time I had a chance to glance at the news and I was disappointed to find out that no one knew any more than we did (or at least, no one was reporting it).

Suddenly my friend jumped up and pointed towards the Common. We all turned around to see what he was pointing at. The cylindrical structure had cracked in vertical lines and appeared to be opening. We could hear people shouting and all the military guns being cocked as we watched in mixed terror and curiosity as the “shooting star from Jupiter” began to peel itself apart. I glanced down at the laptop to see another headline pop-up that said, “Landers Opening All Over Globe.”

The blinding light returned.

And then… unconsciousness on Earth.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I don't really get this thread??

Are you a Sci-fi writer?

If this would really be like what you said, then where are the photo's, links, vids of all those people you describe. You talk about headlines, yet you don't provide links!!!

It has pottential to become a nice book if you would try to make it like 200 pages long, or maybe even a nice movie, who knows...

Still don't get this thread..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Woo hoo, what a ride. Had to flag it. Such details, such suspense. It all was wrapped together in a twisted ending.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bauwser

Are you a Sci-fi writer?

If this would really be like what you said, then where are the photo's, links, vids of all those people you describe. You talk about headlines, yet you don't provide links!!!

It has pottential to become a nice book if you would try to make it like 200 pages long, or maybe even a nice movie, who knows...

It's for the short story contest, silly!

A.K.A. Fiction.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Bauwser

SHORT STORIES sorry for shouting

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by xFloggingMaryx

love it, it sounds as thou you actually
experienced that maybe write a book

got to be a s+f

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
Woo hoo, what a ride. Had to flag it. Such details, such suspense. It all was wrapped together in a twisted ending.

Originally posted by maryhinge

love it, it sounds as thou you actually
experienced that maybe write a book

got to be a s+f

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to read it!

When I started to write, I figured I'd start out with something that I normally do, and then veer off into fiction.

Apparently it worked, although it took me a little while to get there.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Very descriptive style, flagged for the ride.
well done.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You had me with Space & Time by VNV Nation.
Will be seeing Ronan this Sunday,my Birthday!
Very good story.Always had a fascination with Jupiter,and it would be spectacular to see that Planet shine a little more......

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I thought this was real. Then I got to where you were describing what you were wearing and I said this has got to be a woman because only a woman would be reporting a UFO but first describe what she was wearing. Then I realized it was a short story SciFi. It was a great story and I enjoyed it. I was hoping there was more. Well Done!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

from what i remember about short stories is the less words the better, im no English prof but i remember when the teacher told me that i was able to add stuff to the story while trying to make it smaller, talking about it make me want to right a story, i gotta check this out good stuff though i liked it it felt real for a little while cause im used to reading first hand acounts, u got me

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Love the creativity...but, you would never be able to hear the "military guns Being cocked". Unless this was cowboys vs aliens.

Besides that, I love the story.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bauwser

Are you a Sci-fi writer?

Hello? This is in the short stories section.......honest mistake, I hope. Jeez.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bauwser

Left brain thinkers
Open your mind!

OP, I enjoyed your story..S&F
Kinda started as a 2012 Nibiru story, then led into a "The day the earth stood still". Your detail made it feel as if you experienced this.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone for the replies so far! And heck, thanks for actually taking the time to read it!

This was the first time I actually decided to sit down and write something out for one of these writing contests (although I've been contemplating it for the past few months/opportunities)
So needless to say, I was a little nervous about how it would be received (I'm one of those people... I'm too conscious of what others will think, I think it's my biggest character flaw.)

Either way, thanks again to everyone for all the comments, advice, and encouragement!

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I like. It kinda reminds me a bit of War of the Worlds (old school version) with that whole villagers round the common thing happening.

Actually probably any story could benefit with a bit of this type of music playing in the background...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by xFloggingMaryx
So needless to say, I was a little nervous about how it would be received (I'm one of those people... I'm too conscious of what others will think, I think it's my biggest character flaw.)

Don't be. This is really good work. Very in depth, great detail, especially the small stuff. That makes the difference in a good story.

S&F and good luck

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

I'm glad the details and the small stuff were good for the piece!

Haha, the first thing my boyfriend said when he read it was, "What was up with all the detail about the trampoline. That's not new... I want to find out more about the aliens!"
Then he realized that the whole trampoline section would be new for practically every one else reading it, so he retracted his statement. xP

new topics

top topics

join