It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two-thirds of Israelis oppose attack on Iran: poll

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Iran: Low Support Among Israelis For Solo Attack, New Poll Shows

NEW YORK -- A new poll of Israeli public opinion found surprisingly low levels of support for a military strike against Iran -- and especially if Israel has to go it alone.

Just 19 percent of Israelis believe that Israel should strike Iran's nuclear facilities if it must do so without American support. A significantly higher number -- 42 percent -- support a military strike if Israel has American support. Thirty-four percent do not support a military strike at all.

The poll comes at a time when Israel seems increasingly primed to take military action against the nuclear installations of Iran, an action the United States has repeatedly indicated it does not support.

An Israeli parliamentarian recently told Reuters that he feared Israelis were not prepared for a war with Iran, which could possibly include a massive barrage of rockets and asymmetric attacks from Hezbollah and Hamas.

The poll, conducted by Shibley Telhami, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution and a University of Maryland professor, measured the opinions of 500 Israelis, with a margin of error of 4 percent. The opinions of Israeli Jews alone did not markedly differe from the broader Israeli views.

Asked about the likely outcomes of a military strike, most Israelis believed it would have a significant impact, with 44 percent believing it would lead to delays of three or more years to Iran's nuclear program. American military officials have said that military action is unlikely to fully prevent Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon, but some Israeli officials have said that even if the program was delayed, the action would be worth it.

Thirty percent of Israelis polled said they believed a military strike would either accelerate Iran's nuclear program or have no effect at all.

The poll also offered a glimpse of Israeli views on American politics, something that has received some attention during recent Republican presidential debates. When Israelis were asked about their preferences in the upcoming election, only former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, of the possible GOP nominees, had support equal to President Barack Obama. Twenty-nine percent of Israelis said they supported each of them.

Obama outpolled both former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich by wider margins: 32 percent to 25 percent versus Gingrich, and 33 percent to 18 percent versus Santorum.

Source: Huffington Post

Looks like the majority of Israels citizens is against an attack on Iran. What a disaster for the Zionists and their warmongering and lying shills. They have no proof for a nuke, no proof that Iran builds one, the "wipe off the map" comment is a proven lie and 25.000 Jews are living in Iran, who don't even want to leave for money offered by the Zionist regime...

Moreover General Dempsey repeated is argument for a non intervention and a different approach towards Iran. The problem is warmongering politicians and the MSM, who want to start WW III.

Chairman Of Joint Chiefs Of Staff Stands By Assessment That Iran Is A Rational Actor

Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Martin Dempsey are facing increasing hostility from the right wing for their views, backed by IAEA reports and U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, that sanctions and diplomacy are effective tools in preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon. Just last week, Newt Gingrich slammed Dempsey, saying “I can’t imagine why he would have said [Iran is a rational actor].”

Rep. Tom Price (R-GA) challenged the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff’s assessment of Iran’s intentions yesterday during a House committee hearing:

PRICE: I want to visit a comment you made recently regarding the nation of Iran and the statement, and I think have the quote correct here, that stunned me and many of my constituents. And that is your quote, “We are of the opinion that Iran is a rational actor.” Do you stand by that statement and maybe you wanna explain a little more?

DEMPSEY: Yes, I stand by it because the alternative is almost unimaginable. The alternative is that we attribute to them that their actions are so irrational that they have no basis of planning. You know, not to sound too academic about it but Thucydides in the fifth century B.C. said that all strategy is some combination of reaction to fear, honor and interests. And I think all nations act in response to one of those three things, even Iran. The key is to understand how they act and not trivialize their actions by attributing to them some irrationality. I think that’s a very dangerous thing for us to do. It doesn’t mean I agree with what they decide by the way but they have some thought process they follow.

Price wasn’t persuaded by Dempsey’s explanation and went on to question the “rationality of an assassination attempt on the Saudi ambassador in our territory” but Dempsey pushed back that while he wouldn’t justify Iran’s alleged actions, he stands by his assertion that Iran engages in calculated, rational actions.

Right-wing hawks are taking a noticeably hostile tone towards the U.S.’s top military officer following his February 19 comments to CNN’s Fareed Zakaria that: Iran has not yet decided to pursue a nuclear weapon; it wouldn’t be “prudent” for Israel to attack Iran at this time, and “we are of the opinion that the Iranian regime is a rational actor.”

While the IAEA has expressed serious concerns about possible military dimensions to Iran’s nuclear program, neither the IAEA nor U.S. intelligence reports have asserted that Iran has restarted its nuclear weapons program.

Thinkprogress

edit on 2-3-2012 by ALF88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

When asked "should Israel alone attack the Iranian nuclear installations,"

Duh! Why would they want to do that?
Take away 'alone' and lets see what results we get...

ps:

(AFP) – Dec 6, 2007

edit on 3-2-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n

(AFP) – Dec 6, 2007

My bad, fixed it. But it shows that it didn't change from 2007 to 2012.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Not every jews are delusional
but 2/3 ? i though that 80 % in Israel agreed to attack Iran
guess a few of them changed their mind .. because they dont want any retaliation
if Bibi is mad enough to attack Iran

S&F

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Awesome find!

Guess Israel's citizens are not the war-mongerers their leaders make them out to be. Seems the only real boogeymen are our officials.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I love how these stats appear,is that just a guess? Was there a door knock?a phone poll,a vote,I highly doubt it! And at the end of the day Its not up to the people trying to make do with the situation they were born into,its those Zionist fags making these numbers up. No one wants war,especially two thirds of the population that have had bullets wizzing past the front of there homes for god knows how many years. LEVEL ISRAEL AND RENAME IT PALASTINE!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ALF88

Ah cool. Thanks for the new link.
It's a shame to see that they want either Obama/Romney to be president. So much for not wanting to go to war

It looks like a majority vote "Strike only if Israel gains at least American support."
Just as I thought...

I don't know though, surveys like this never seem really accurate to me. They only base it on 500 people. I think that's too few to attribute to an entire nation. I'd buy it if they sampled more people.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Israeli 7yr old
Dear YHWH, please dont let Iran have the bomb, please dont let them make war.

American 7yr old
Dear God, please let Pete Rose into the Base ball Hall of Fame, and if its not too much to ask can the Raiders please buy a good football team this year.

How many Cubans do you think TRULY supported Castro letting Russia park Nukes in their front yards.......yeah,,,nobody wants war in their country
edit on 2-3-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Pretty much the same here, yet it is their government that is pushing them and the USA to this tragedy. Obama may not start the war but the zionists will try to get their picks in the white house for the next election cycle and get the job done. The zionists are selecting our presidents.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I truly hate when they do this.
There is ZERO possibility, that this poll is accurate.

You can NOT get the view of an entire country, by polling 500 people.

Any poll under 2000+ is flawed. I laugh at their 4% margin of error....
edit on 2-3-2012 by ScarletWitch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ALF88

Seems on EA*RTH there are 2 mindstates the care takers and those who are to be care taken and it seems the caretaken disagree across the globe with the many present EA*RTH OVERLORDS. Sometimes I wonder if there will be new overlords and if so who places them and what of the current overlords are they graded somehow
Its nice to hear the voice of the care taken sharing their true feelings outside the conscious barrier. Maybe the LORD sent or came and appeared as a SHEEP to see how they are really treated to GATHER FULL EVALUATIONS* instead of accepting the HERD reports FROM THE CURRENT OVERLORDS as TRUTH! Imagine if the came and was placed in all levels of the worlds caretaken --- now imagin the LORD being implanted in say the 3RD world WHAT DO MANY FEEL THE LORDS PLANS ARE NEXT?!?!?!? Would the LORD not gather a better data of whats going on?

edit on 3/2/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Just like any country, most of the population has no desire for bloodbaths that are not necessary. Most people I have palavered with both here and in NY, think the only reason to go, and send their children to war is if someone is invading.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I find it scary that according to the title of this thread, a whole 1/3 of Israel's population wants to attack Iran.

This is crazy!

top topics

join