It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society and Age issues--- Teacher Leaves Wife, Kids for High School Student---

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Teacher Leaves Wife, Kids for High School Student

Last year, Jordan Powers was just another student from Mr. Hooker's class. Now she's his live-in girlfriend.

James Hooker -- the 41-year-old married father who left his wife and kids for his 18-year-old-student -- might be the worst teacher ever. Last week, he resigned from his job at Enochs High School in Modesto, California over the scandal that's shaken up a community and pit one mom on a crusade to save her daughter from a man she calls a "master manipulator."

I could have posted this in breaking news, but I decided not to. I feel it is more of a social issue. It is something that needs to be discussed.

Jordan met her teacher as a freshman, but both maintain nothing physical happened until she turned 18 this past September. Hooker claims he saw Powers as "just a student" and had no romantic feelings toward her at first, but when her most recent birthday came around, things changed.

They changed so much, in fact, that Hooker, left his wife and three kids (one of them a 17-year-old Enochs high school student as well) so that he could move in with Jordan.

If this all sounds suspicious to you, imagine how Tammie Powers, Jordan's mom, feels. She's launched an official police investigation to find out if Hooker's relationship with her daughter began before Jordan was of legal age. Tammie is convinced it did, citing a photo of her daughter on Hooker's lap and text messages, emails and phone records exchanged between the couple that predate her daughter's 18th birthday.

the skinny

ex-teach and student hook up

both say nothing happened before she turned eighteen

mother says there is evidence that it started before eighteen....

well the mother has not accepted this..

Desperate for her child, Tammie has turned her own Facebook page into a "most wanted" profile for Hooker. She's plastered his photo all over her wall warning neighbors about the man she calls an "arrogant pig". She's also made her wallpaper a photo of a prison cell, sending a message to Hooker should he dare visit her site.

Since the story has been picked up by national press, she's been flooded with messages of support from strangers. Tonight, she'll be taking her crusade against Hooker to Nancy Grace. "Nancy's always been a victims advocate and fights for justice," Tammie wrote on Facebook. "That's the goal here, justice."

I personally do not like Nancy Grace... she pretends to be for justice, while as a prosecutor withheld evidence....

so Before I go further I will not be doing:
1) finding the facebook page...

it sounds distasteful, and is not part of why I am mentioning this

Youtube video

Society Age Issues

1) What is the basis for cognitive abilities to self determine as fully able to choose?

Age of Consent....

I can hear the arguments now.

2) With this in mind, when is someone able to be held responsible for making those decisions...

Children and teens tried for murder as adults....

12-Year-Old To Be Tried As Adult For Dad's Fiancee's Death

Dr. John O'Brien, a psychiatrist for the prosecution, testified at a hearing earlier this month that Brown is not a good candidate for treatment as a juvenile and is evasive, resentful and refuses to accept responsibility.

Read more: www.wtae.com...

Where and when do rights go with responsibilities...

What criteria is to be used...

If a child can be accused & tried of murder as an adult, due to the cognitive ability to make adult determinations, what other determinations can a child be eligible to make?

I will list sex as one...

Example-plenty of young males teens dream of getting with the older woman- I still remember my English teachers legs and long blonde hair

How about drinking?

example- I wanted to learn to drive drunk so that if I ever had to I could safely get all parties home (yes I heard this class does exist... military and protection details)

How about working?

example- kid wants to work full time at fifteen because a parent is not there... full forty hours (law prevent allows only about 15 hours period a week)

How about leaving home?

example- what if a kid wants to leave home and not deal with the various crapola issues at home
example- I wanted to go to college the second my test scores enabled it,

How about joining the military?

example- African warlords use child soldiers....

I am just painting a slight point here.. some of them seem silly as wrote them others seemed dead serious

When is that point going to be set. Society can not have it both ways... either Their is a point a person is free and responsible... or their will be some serious issues... You can not refuse to give someone the responsibility for their actions and then deny them their freedom.... its anti-american

If you must include in response your point of view on violating a trainers ethos... the second point of this... I include it because we are discussing society setting a boundary..

(of note Texas differs then California, a teacher is registered as a sex offender, regardless of age, if they engage in a relationship with a student)

This also includes the state versus federal standards in the argument...

The main conspiracy seems to be a general look the other way as long as voters approve. Allowing overzealous prosecutors to decide what is right and what is wrong, not the law.... Otherwise why is it not a sex crime in California but is one in Texas (lead into this social issue)...

The destruction of the equal protection clause, state by state,due to a failure to establish where the line is for adult level cognitive determination line is.

Which is being manipulated to the advantage of the powers that be to control people... Otherwise this inequality would not exist and the law would have straightened this out...

After all, an 18 year old high school student can not make up her mind on a man who is manipulating her, but an eleven year old can make an adult level thought process determination and kill someone...

edit on 2-3-2012 by ripcontrol because: spanglesh

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Wow, that is a long post. I got that she was 18 and in California the age of consent is 18. Its legal so, while it might be morally wrong to go out with a student, its legal. I got no qualms with it.

He did leave his wife and kids, but hey he got some nice young tail.

If I had the chance I would probably do the same.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

Well then, how about that....

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well a 41 year old guy going out with an 18 year old is just flat out creepy. The fact that he has an 17 year old daughter that goes to the same school is even worse. Plus he was texting her and calling her when she was underage, the guy is gross.

Plus it is repulsive to seduce a student regardless of the age anyway. A teenager can easily be coerced into doing things they really don't want to. This girl probably never had a real boyfriend other than this guy, so she fell head over heels with the first person that gave her attention. Everyone remembers their first love and how much of a grip it had over them. The part of the 18 year olds brain that controls impulse and emotions isn't even fully developed for a few more years.

Also, the video didn't say anything about the girls dad. Maybe he's out of the picture so shes trying to cope with finding an older man? Girls that usually have relationships with older men are usually fatherless with mental issues.

The girl isn't bad looking, she could do so much better. This guy must have a fat savings account or something.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
How disgusting - NOT!
My first wife and I split up in 1974. We had 4 children (now all grown up and married with families of their own - we are in regular contact).
Some 6 years later I met my current wife. She was 19 years of age whilst I was 42. Nobody (including ourselves) expected it to last but here we are still happily married 30-odd years later.
Wonderful world isn't it.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
They do this in Hollywood all the time. Actors in their 40's with chicks 18+.

So what?

In some states the legal age of consent is 16.

So what?

You are prejudiced against old guys!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Ugh, What a dirty old man. Simple as, the guy is a creep.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
Wow, that is a long post. I got that she was 18 and in California the age of consent is 18. Its legal so, while it might be morally wrong to go out with a student, its legal. I got no qualms with it.

cal,

People have forgotten God. It's bad catechesis or none at all for the last fifty years. If that teacher and student don't get right with God, repent and confess their sin of fornication and adultery before they die, neither one will see Heaven.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by colbe

cal,

People have forgotten God. It's bad catechesis or none at all for the last fifty years. If that teacher and student don't get right with God, repent and confess their sin of fornication and adultery before they die, neither one will see Heaven.

Folks, this is why the legislators wrote the law -- so we can have a guide.
Depending on your state, the starting line is 16, 17 or 18.
Like it or not.
It is the law.
The girls know it better than you do.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Be interesting to read what happens when we find out that students mother has a boytoy..........or not, I don't know either way, this is pure conjecture.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Fact is anyone (male or female) that's in a position of authority over a young person and then abuses that authority is nothing but a big reeking turd!

This guy could have been SO MUCH MORE for this girl - WITHOUT the sex and WITHOUT ruining the life of his family.

Have you ever seen the movie 'My First Mr'? - It goes far to prove my point and really worth the watch!

Bright spot of the story? When this girl grows up and matures and wants what a 50 year old can't give her? He'll be kicked to the curb faster than old news. (And no I'm not just talking sex).

I was 14 when I became involved with a man in a position of authority over me. I was absolutely the happiest person in the world - I can't tell you the joy I felt having HIM love ME. BUT - once I got older and my self worth grew? I was horrified by what this man had done to me. It took me YEARS to 'get rid of him' in my emotional life, my psyche, etc. I defended his actions for decades. Now? I know he was nothing. Not a man. Nothing but a ZERO.

peace

edit on 2-3-2012 by silo13 because: fix link

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

Originally posted by colbe

cal,

Folks, this is why the legislators wrote the law -- so we can have a guide.
Depending on your state, the starting line is 16, 17 or 18.
Like it or not.
It is the law.
The girls know it better than you do.

XXX777, hi, you remember I am sure,

God's laws do not change and are above man's laws. Look at the laws of men, some of them are evil.

True contrition and confession of your sins to God saves your soul. Why do people no longer believe this fact?

70 years here maybe. Your soul is eternal.

1 Corinthians 6:9
Know you not that the unjust shall not possess the kingdom of God? Do not err: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers,

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   
The mother said in that news story vid that the daughter received over 8,000 text message and received heaps of 4 hour late night phone calls....
Where the hell was the mother when her daughter was a minor while she was doing all this stuff?
Sounds like the daughter was left unsupervised and had no boundaries. So what did the mother expect would happen? No point in her crying over spilt milk now and feeling guilty about her negligence.
Having said that, the Teacher is no saint either.
His own daughter has to live with the fallout of him having done this and now it being broadcast all over America....She must be going through hell. So how much did he care about her to do this? Seems like an ego maniac whose only concern is for himself.
I don't agree with this no matter the sexual gender of the teacher involved but the circumstances of his own daughter being damaged this way makes it all the more ickier and makes it look so much more selfish.
I feel sorry for the student as she is going to find it very hard to break this off when she wants to.
I can just imagine the guilt trip and emotional manipulations she is going to cop to make her stay if ever she does want to leave.
edit on 2-3-2012 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
so,whats the big deal.

Frankly I believe polygamy should be permitted.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

I get the impression that you are more concerned with discussing the age of responsibility in various situations rather than the morality of this particular case.

Perhaps one line could be drawn be judgment age and physical age. For example, a child working at carrying groceries may not need much judgment at all, while a child leaving home would require a lot. If that's true, then the working age could be set lower than the emancipation age.

The military? I hate to say it, but I don't know how much judgment is needed there. Voting? That needs more.

Part of the problem is that we don't want to deny anything to people, so the age at which they're allowed to do things is pulled lower.

Just a start, maybe it's worth exploring.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I'm sure his Wife and kids would have rather he got himself a motorbike during his mid life crisis, but well, these things happen.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Ugh, What a dirty old man. Simple as, the guy is a creep.

His girlfriend doesn't seem to think so

Jealous much?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The dude's name is "Mr. Hooker"? Wow.

There's probably a joke about that above this post, but I could not help myself.

Anywhoo on topic.

Who cares?

Some 18 year old decides she wants to date an older man? Shame on her mother for giving her a hard time about it. That girl was probably "ready" for relationships, sexual and emotional since she was 15 or so.

Stupid laws. I don't know how we can allow over zealous and hurt parents to file lawsuits against people like this for no reason other than to appease society or to spite her daughter for not following her way.

In either case, pretty lame story; pretty lame mother, hopefully it gets thrown out of court.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

Technically from a medical point of view the brain doesnt mature fully either in early 20's or some time in the mid 40's depending on which google search terms I used to research the issue and which results I personally cherry picked and so I wont be linking any of them due to my own biases starting to creep in!

I recommend my fellow members do their own follow up research as they require ok!

Anyway .. in my country [aka Australia] there are several ages that are watershed moments at which things change dramatically for the person involved in a legal sence, such as ...

In my days as a young teenager I looked forward to turning 16yrs old so I could go buy cigarets!

Now one must be 18yrs old to buy cigarets!

At age 18yrs old I was entitled to vote ... but I was eligable to join the armed forces at age 17yrs old and they were recruiting yr10 students in the highschools who were aged 16yrs old.

I am unsure if that still occurs?

One used to be only able to vote and drink alcohol at the age of 21yrs old and now its age 18yrs old.

BUT amazingly one is considered a YOUTH legally until one is aged 25+yrs and that means parents can be held legally and financially responsible for the youths wellbeing and upkeep.

After the age of 26yrs old .. you are then considered OLD ... enough!

Conversly there are laws regarding the very old where one has to submit for medical exams on regular basis to either keep ones position in a profession or licences to operate certain machinary such as cars etc.

One used to be entitled to an old age pension regardless [I cant remember hearing that it was ever means tested] at the age of 65yrs old for women and 70yrs old for men.

I like the concept of youth ends at 25+yrs and it sorta is also backed by medical evidence [if you so choose to look for yourself
] and I think that is when one should in all ways be considered mature ... physically + mentally + emotionally + legally mature.

Personal Disclosure: But cheer up kids ... it gets alot worse ...

edit on 2-3-2012 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix spelling mistakes.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
As long as it's a healthy and fruitful relationship with no abuse, then it's none of our business. That girl is 18 now, when it officially started.

It's between his ex-wife, him, his new main squeeze, and that squeeze's family if they want to remain in the picture and spoil grandchildren.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join