It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The shift to the use of unmanned military systems and the future of drone warfare in the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

War by remote control

Brookings Institution senior fellow Peter W. Singer in discussion with Steve Paikin earlier tonight about some important points of discussion in relation to the current massive change in warfare from traditional methods to unmanned military systems. Call it evolution if you like, but it needs some serious consideration.

The following really interesting video explores and exposes many points of much needed discussion about this current shift to the drone warfare that is now taking place. It is therefore timely. Emphasis is placed on the the urgent need for discussion concerning all aspects of this shift. For instance, the US military has a chain of command system with someone responsible to give the orders and assume responsibility. It includes a court-martial system. Who is ordering these attacks exactly since someone is bypassing Congress to conduct attacks without a declaration of war? And why is it happening?

I won't give it away the other discussion points, but the attacks in Pakistan raise some serious contrasting questions that everyone ought to be really concerned about. No chain of command system there and no court-martial system, so this drone warfare action is answerable to whom exactly? What, if any are the consequences? The lines are very blurry in this evolving process.

Canadians and other citizens of US allies most probably will be shocked to learn that our militaries are also using drones according to Singer.

I found the discussion riveting and most informative, as it is timely and it really made me think. I trust you also will find that the video is well worth the 22 minutes viewing. I encourage you to listen to it and to comment on the various points raised. I am against war but we seem to be heading into another one.

Here is the interview

edit on 2-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
these programs are a waste of money.They should be scrapped.CNG stations are needed in America for natural gas. Also Alaska has massive oil reserves.

Also ,investment in energy storage and biomass methanol should be done. This will totally liberate us from foreign oil.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It's happening on most countries that want to "matter" internationally. I see it aswell in my own country that the shift is taking place.

I think it will lower the threshhold for going into war or not, because you minimize the casualities on your own side and war will become even more unpersonal and easier to do, sort of speaking..

Next phase is only sending in droids and uav's instead of real soldiers..

I fear the worst..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

I understand your sentiments for sure. However they are moving in this new direction, pressing forward relentlessly, still attacking. Did you watch the video?.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

frankly I am fed up with communist america and capitalist Russia.How bad times must be that such things have happened.If we don't cease being communist and keeping attacking other nations ,I might start supporting the nuking of america.

I supported the nuking of communist russia and communism anywhere.If America continues on the fascist communist path ,I will support the nuking of commie USA.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

I am not dismissing your feelings at all, because we all understand them. However Americans and its allies ought to be asking the questions raised in the video. Did you bother to watch it?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Elexio

Thanks for your reply. Is Canada the only place where its citizens are not aware of their country's involvement in the drone warfare? Does the shift really signify the worst? Or does it mean less casualties overall and less damage to the planet? Could they be choosing the lesser of two evils?
edit on 2-3-2012 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join