It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

A computer the size of a credit card now thats revolutionary. And their coming out with a even cheaper $25 model in the next couple of weeks. Do you just plug it into a tv then plug a keyboard into the device? Pretty amazing though, might have to get one and see how it works.

And heres the link to the actual company if your looking to get one www.raspberrypi.org...
edit on 2-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Thats awesome, old school with new stuff!

I had to see just what the components are, which are:

HDMI!! Man, I only noticed the rca at first, nifty!

and cheap, I'm happy to see things like this still coming about, things to get the mind thinking and out of the windows...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I'm having trouble grasping how this would be used in everyday life.

Help me understand

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Throw a small distribution of Linux like the Ubuntu netbook edition and that thing would probably be pretty decent for a remote application.
Nice find

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Full specs of it:

Features
    Broadcom BCM2835 700MHz ARM1176JZFS processor with FPU and Videocore 4 GPU
GPU provides Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, and 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode
GPU is capable of 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure
256MB RAM
Boots from SD card, running the Fedora version of Linux
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket
HDMI socket
USB 2.0 socket
RCA video socket
SD card socket
Powered from microUSB socket
3.5mm audio out jack
Header footprint for camera connection
Size: 85.6 x 53.98 x 17mm

I had a $80 Android tablet that had less specs than that. And from one of the retail sites, there are programming tutorial videos.

I could really get into this

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

It can stream HD video, connect to the Internet,serve as a programming platform, and pretty much what most people use their computer for. It does not support Ubuntu, yet, but a distribution is slated. Uses a few other forms of Linux at the moment.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Help me understand

Have a read through this thread:

What's your Pi Plan?

Gives you an idea, it's at the moment more a hobbyist thing, but given that it elicits the imagination as shown in that thread, then I see every day applications around the corner.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Im gonna have a blast playing with this can't wait to get one, today was the launch date and both the sites crashed from the traffic looks like this might be a new hit.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Well once support for Ubuntu is there then I see a nice remote unit for a Mythtv setup for dirt cheap. Provided it can netboot.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

Originally posted by amongus

Help me understand

Have a read through this thread:

What's your Pi Plan?

Gives you an idea, it's at the moment more a hobbyist thing, but given that it elicits the imagination as shown in that thread, then I see every day applications around the corner.

Wow! Thank you! The implications and uses are endless....and the price tag? Can't beat it.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Brandon88

Same here, I don't get paid till next week, and I just hope there are some still in stock

I could handle that to fit my hdtv usb dongle in and tape it to the back of my monitor, and with a switch box, I wouldn't need to PC on to watch hdtv (I dont own a television).

Or as someone else mentioned, a NAS setup... or knowing me, just program it for the sake of it

Great thread btw, I'd have never seen this. Kinda feels like the old days again having something so fun to play with !

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
an email from the suppliers confirmed my interest. due to traffic, the boards are limited to one per customer. i'm gunning for the 'b' model. a patient wait is required.
f

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
it has less then even half a gig of memory...what are you going to do with that? I think it would be pretty cool to have something that small to carry in my pocket but I just dont see it as being practical. Hell, my droid phone can do pretty much all the same stuff.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

I think its more about the price range though im sure my iphone can do most of that stuff too, but my iphone was $300 this thing at $35 opens up the market to alot of other people that can't afford the more expensive stuff.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brandon88
reply to post by dizzie56

I think its more about the price range though im sure my iphone can do most of that stuff too, but my iphone was $300 this thing at $35 opens up the market to alot of other people that can't afford the more expensive stuff.

the above plus the programming factor. to teach the youngsters simple functions is in itself very appealing.
2nd line
f

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I am a big fan of the pi, and working on a project which plans on using one.
I aim on building an online radio station in 45 days for under £45 (and thats for all costs, hardware, software, web space, etc etc. )
The basics of everything are in place at radioshoestring.co.uk and the next stage is to get my hands on a pi.
The station is currently running an automated test stream on the site, and we just need to get the "studio" built to connect to the streaming server.
So far, our budget has been around £6.20.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Great things come in small packages, eh?

Minimalist here, and i think with the circuitboard covered it would look/function awesome!

Lookin forward to hear of any ATSers who got or plan to get this new Pi thingy,

and what they do with it!

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
Thats awesome, old school with new stuff!

I had to see just what the components are, which are:

HDMI!! Man, I only noticed the rca at first, nifty!

and cheap, I'm happy to see things like this still coming about, things to get the mind thinking and out of the windows...

I wrote a thread that you may be interesting since you obviously posted the image above without looking at the sysmbols, one of which is the USB symbol, the same symbol for Neptune and also what i feel also connects to my other thread regarding Saint Helena.
Do you, like me believe that there is a connection between the symbols we use for terms in technology are connected to symbols of the past? I do. I also think i can prove it.
Probably easiest way do doing this is posting the links rather than a thread since i have stated that i cant write threads,,.......that make any sense

Anyway
Take the Symbol for USB you can connect it to Neptune, here is my thread here if you are interested however there is also a connection that i feel points to why and how exactly ancient civilizations failed.
Take a look at these images taking into account what you have just posted.

The way i see it is that if you take into account the symbol that is clearly evident on this image

I see a connection to possibly what led the ancients to ruin.

I would like you also to be aware that technology must have been used by the ancients.
1 The symbols match todays
2 Could explain the precision in their buildings and pyramids.
3 There is paintings of lighbulbs and what would only be explained as aircraft.

I took the blog down but you can still look at the images.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
My neighbor has had these things for the last few months. He is a software dork for a living and often gets stuff far in advance to work with it.

I need to bother him tonight and ask him what he came up with for this thing, and what niche he thinks it fills best....that and to get my cordless impact driver back that I lent a few weeks back...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

join