It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the culprit is B-12??? C'mon guys...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I'm going to link this is another post as I don't want to take away from the importance of the other. I'm referring to:

A Little Quick Help on Vitamin D, Please

So as I explained in my reply to the OP, I too had a Vitamin D deficiency and the protocol they prescribed (same 50,000 IU's) made me feel no better (although my blood levels increased to 10 from 2 - should still be between 30 and 100 ngs) so they ran another whole slew of tests and now they're telling me that Vitamin B-12 is probably the culprit. They've dropped the Vitamin D concern and they're now prescribing B-12 injections1 X per week for two months and then 1 X every other week. What is going on here? Anyone else have similar experiences? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Timidgal

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

if your not absorbing Vit D have your Gall Bladder checked.
To much Vit A can block absorption of D
Take your D with Magnesium for best absorption.
Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I saw that happen with a patient of mine. Her doc gave her Vitamin D2, ergocalciferol. Her D2 levels went up just fine, but her D3, cholecalciferol levels barely nudged upwards. I suggested to her to just take Vit D3 from the drug store and take about 5,000 IU a day for a month and retest. It worked.
I'm not saying you don't have B12 anemia, but I'm just saying that if they gave you D2 and it didn't convert to D3 then maybe they should give you D3 instead/also.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Im sorry I don't know per se what the issue health wise could be as I am no Dr and can never claim to be one, and I have NO KNOWLEDGE of this type of bodily function,

I will say this however, it sounds like your Dr just doesn't know what they are doing and are taking shots in the dark, I hope this isn't a life threatening illness as Dr are employed to further health science just as much as they are to help you. If they are changing treatments it is because they don't know exactly what to do and they are experimenting.

If they help you I am glad, either way what they learn from you will could save life later.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

I had absolutely no clue and this is great advice. I'll mention that to my doctor and ask him to check. Great suggestion and much appreciated!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AutomaticSlim

Well, the Vitamin D was in prescribed form so I have no idea whether it was D2 or D3. Another very useful bit of info and I'll be sure to check this with my doctor as well. Thanks for the advice!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sykonot
I will say this however, it sounds like your Dr just doesn't know what they are doing and are taking shots in the dark, I hope this isn't a life threatening illness as Dr are employed to further health science just as much as they are to help you. If they are changing treatments it is because they don't know exactly what to do and they are experimenting.

This was my initial concern also but thanks to some of the other posters who knew a bit more about the mechanics of Vitamin D, I now have something solid to go back to him with.

I couldn't agree with your concerns more - very well said!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
For what reason did your dr do this test? Do you have any symptoms? Do you have any other health problems?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by timidgal

go to the vitamin d council website all research info is there.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Perhaps you are suffering from Pernicious Anemia!
This illness is a result of the body's inability to absorb B12 and usually only affects older people,very rarely young people.
This disease used to be a killer pre 1920's,but is treatable nowadays with a monthly B12 injection for the rest of the patients life.Unfortunately there is at this time no cure for this disease.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-3-2012 by scobro because: inlude link

new topics

top topics

join