It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF is going on with the History Channel?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
reply to post by ReadyPower

Those gators are delicious when cooked right. And make good belts/boots/etc.
They also reach levels of overpopulation that necessitate the month long alligator season (top of the food chain except for that month).

Is it true they taste like chicken?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Just wanna say I agree wholeheartedly. A couple years ago, I used to really enjoy the History channel. But sometime in the past few years, they just kinda started ignoring history. Even modern marvels is annoying most of the time. I understand that they show the history and development of things, but isn't "modern" an antonym of "historical"? It seems like that show belongs on the discovery channel. Or maybe science channel... I want to learn about historical events and people in a well put together fashion with neat graphics, reenactments, and charts/timelines. That sort of thing. I was also dismayed tonight at the hairy bikers on h2. It's bad enough with all the other crap. They got Only In America with the has been Larry the Cable guy who used to be funny for like 2 seconds back like 7 years ago. Swamp people about people in swamps. Ice road truckers, about the dangers of driving semi trucks on a road made of ice. American Pickers, where they show old items but focus on the haggling and process tag, and every once in a while they flash a tidbit about the company associated with the item. Deadliest Catch, was about crab fishing in Alaska. The universe is pretty cool, but probably belongs on science channel. Ancient aliens is ok. Pawn Stars has old items and at least they go more into depth than American Pickers, but still not enough to be designated as a "history" program. It's like eating Top Raman, every once in a while you find a tiny morsel of meat half the size of a pea.
edit on 2-3-2012 by 3n19m470 because: not top raman, i meant cup o noodles... top raman is actually meatless. but i see history channel going in the direction of top raman more and more every year. p.s. i heard history channel is owned by disney.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I like Swamp People, Pawn Stars, American Restoration and American Pickers. This is history being told in a different way. I can't watch the major networks anymore. I can't stand most of the live TV shows on just about all the networks, but because this is history for some reason I can watch them.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

What does swamp people have to do with history?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have been saying this for YEARS!

The History Channel is no more just like every other network. Every networks seems to cater to reality show CRAP! I can't stand Pawn Stars or any other reality show on there. American Pickers annoys me as does Ice Road Truckers. WHY is that on there?!

I remember when they showed all kinds of documentaries and things on science and the planet. Now it's just regurgitated crap and people with no self respect on tv. Most of those reality shows all have drama and it's just pathetic to watch! I'd never shop or deal with any of those people with how they act and this isnt just HC its all of them.

I love my Netflix because at least on there I can get all the old and even new History Channel documentaries. I have founds ones on there from as recent as 2010 and I don't remember them being on tv. It's cheaper than cable and i can watch anything I want. Im not subjected to the crap they play.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chevy369
I like Swamp People, Pawn Stars, American Restoration and American Pickers. This is history being told in a different way. I can't watch the major networks anymore. I can't stand most of the live TV shows on just about all the networks, but because this is history for some reason I can watch them.

Please explain to me how this crap is relevant to history?

The History Channel for as long as I can remember always had programs about our history, history that one should know and it was on many different topics. I learned about many different places on HC and I also learned about different cultures. Now I learn nothing but how ridiculous people will act to get on tv.

I want to watch something where I learn something useful and none of these shows show me anything useful.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
reply to post by ReadyPower

Those gators are delicious when cooked right. And make good belts/boots/etc.
They also reach levels of overpopulation that necessitate the month long alligator season (top of the food chain except for that month).

Pretty much. Like just about everything else.
Supposedly people taste like chicken too. And chicken tastes like people....waitaminute

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I was thinking this a few weeks ago and why is this called history channel was one of my exact thoughts. I wanted to watch some historical doumentaries & they have all this reality show crap on. Why not call it reality TV if they must bombard the channel with such programs. I want a History channel devoted to just that History. What the heck is the deal?

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Wow I haven't checked this out for awhile as I didn't know that it would get much replies. I do respect southerners and Cajun or Creol mixed heritage. But for those of you Southerners you are defending my deregatory remarks towards the current "stars"... Don't you guys think you could represent you guys better? And don't you think the killing alligators and looking for underwater logs enough by now? HC personally picked out these guys because they know're trying to create a stereotype about Southerners which I imagine most are picking up because it's funny to watch teethless meth addicts run around like idiots ( sorry if I offended you).

Why can't HC actually cover this history of you creoles and other Southern people. I personally love the music that comes from the appalachians. I don't know if you've seen the movie Cold Mountain but Jack Black played as one of Southern Deserters and their music is lamentable and beautiful... But instead they don't show your good aspects.

I had the author of a D.B. Cooper Book called Into The Blue that I know that was on Brad Meltzers and I got to hang out with him and help setup his presentations for Auburn Good Ole Days. Anyways I would rather learn more history in the NW than watching lumberjacks bumbling around all day cursing at each other.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The only History Channel show I enjoy is Pawn Stars. The rest of it is just pure #.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Be quiet, Beauregard.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

One channel I use to enjoy myself, and recommend to others, especially nieces/nephews/children interested in historical content.

Occassionally you will catch a glimpse of the *old, better* network, but more than likely it is going to be airing one of these irritating and/or offensive reality shows...:down:

Good call, OP; I hope they read this and CHANGE....yeah, right

But your post gave me a chance to rant. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think they moved all their good programming to H2 so people will subscribe to the next higher cable/satellite package.

Money. Nothing else.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Wow now that I think about it I firmly believe because of the recession and the cheapness of reality T.V. HC is doing for ratings and survival.

I was watching something on the news how that guy from Mad Men made a derogetory remark to Snooki because he actually has to put effort in his films called ACTING... Whereas preggo Snooki just gets paid to run around and get f*cked up.

Oh yeah and I as far as southern culture I mean Jack White from the White Stripes. He was a character on Cold Mountain and they remade some old confederate songs the soldiers would sing with a fiddle around the campfire which really pulls on your heart strings... If anybody wants to read an excellent book read Cold Mountain or watch the movie because the director made a good adaptation and it has a lot of stars in minor roles that would surprise you... and I suggest you watch it with a member of the opposite sex...

posted on Mar, 21 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Done right, gator tail can taste like lobster almost....

It is the most horrible thing to smell cooking though. Don't ever cook it in the same place you plan on serving it.

I've only had it a couple of times, and I'd much rather have chicken or lobster thanks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join