It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Contact Writing Contest [CWC] [Winners announced]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Currently hacking away. Stay tuned

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   
OK, here it is, the second entry.

I dedicate this to my idiot cat

Must Love Cats. [CWC]

edit on 12-3-2012 by 74Templar because: pic edit

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
"based solely on the number of flags their story receives from your fellow members." is pretty unfair as some members are pretty well known here and are more likely to attract flags than others.

Technically that could be a popularity competition not a writing one.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
"based solely on the number of flags their story receives from your fellow members." is pretty unfair as some members are pretty well known here and are more likely to attract flags than others.

I think the stories stand on their own. I have posted some that received a number of flags, and some that are lucky to get a few. Popularity may play a small part, but good work should be able to overcome someone's popularity.

Not that far off from the real writing world though. I'm still trying to figure out why Dan Brown sells so many books.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

As the general new guy here, I could agree with you in the beginning. But, having put some of my own work out there for others to see, it has opened a door I was not expecting. My work has been exposed to others who share my passion for writing, and I have gotten some great feedback and some great confidence from the community in general. In the end, although winning would be nice, to me this contest has become more about connecting with my true calling in life and doing something I love than about gaining the most S&Fs, and sharing that with like-minded people.
Every S&F I have given is based on the story written, and you have to admit, although the regulars have the leads atm, their stories truly deserve it.

Besides, jump in by all means, the water's actually quite nice

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Scope and a Beam

It's not that this concern hasn't been previously aired, believe me. I've heard it both in pm's and also in related threads.

There used to be 'judging panels', which, after much reading and juggling, would eventually come up with winners. It was never an easy go. For one thing, those who volunteered to sit as a judge needed to read all the stories after the contest closed. Some of us would try to read/rate them as they were posted, but a very good entry on the last day could upset everything, so back to the story list it was. Often, it would take weeks or even more than a month of pm's back and forth before the panel could agree.

Another problem which came up during the times we asked for panel volunteers from the membership was that some never came up with their picks. I remember one contest where zero volunteers came through. Even trying to get the mod staff to form a panel was tough going simply because it's such a time consuming project.

So... it was decided that a new way was required and we came up with the flagging strategy.

Interestingly, this allows for contests to end with winners announced immediately and new contests to be formed within 24 hours. With judging panels, we were lucky to have 3 or 4 contests a year. This way, we can have 12 at the very least... once a month, which is what I'm trying to do now.

What I hope to see grow is that the ATS membership will get used to seeing contest entries get posted with the usual [?WC] in the title, know that they are judged by flags and perhaps hand one out for the stories they like. Since the first contest was formatted in this manner, I've noticed a growing interest across the membership, with many new members jumping in with posts or stories of their own creation. That's wonderful because I've noticed some members didn't even know there were contests for years.

I agree that an older member's popularity may play a part as this contest judging method starts out, but hope that will give way as the contests themselves get more popular with readers. Going back over the many years I've been involved in writing contests, it's obvious that it IS getting a positive reaction... more stories are submitted and the number of flags received are growing.

The bottom line is this... if we can't organize judging panels we can count on for prompt choices they can all agree on, without 101 pm's and weeks of wrangling being involved, the alternative is going to be what we have now. Either that or no contests at all and I certainly don't like that idea.

edit on 12/3/12 by masqua because: spllng

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I think you guys are doing a fine job at running the way it is now. And one thing I should mention, is that two stories I posted in the short stories forum a long time ago, (as a new member) received a number of flags, (more than some in this current contest) so in that respect, I think it shows that it's possible to earn flags whether or not one is known on the board.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'll admit that the flag system doesn't seem fair, and that stories get judged more by the hookline of the title than by the content therein. I'll also agree with masqua that the SS forum has been getting more interest of late, and that monthly writing contests are very feasible to maintain. (All hail masqua for all the hard work he does for keeping stories bumped!)

I've been thinking of alternatives to voting, but alas, none come to the forefront.

However, with more participation, more members are freely flagging entries, once they know what it is about. If they are not tricked into thinking a story is a real post, they leave their flag without a bitter taste in their mouth. Such is as it should be. I have spoken.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 74Templar

As the general new guy here, I could agree with you in the beginning. But, having put some of my own work out there for others to see, it has opened a door I was not expecting. My work has been exposed to others who share my passion for writing, and I have gotten some great feedback and some great confidence from the community in general. In the end, although winning would be nice, to me this contest has become more about connecting with my true calling in life and doing something I love than about gaining the most S&Fs, and sharing that with like-minded people.
Every S&F I have given is based on the story written, and you have to admit, although the regulars have the leads atm, their stories truly deserve it.

Besides, jump in by all means, the water's actually quite nice

I have to agree with Templar.
It doesn't matter to me if I win, I just enjoy being a novice with an audience. Those who frequent SS always seem appreciative of the author's work. It's kind of funny to see a wayward soul enter a thread thinking it was a true story only to be told later about the short story forums. As for the flag system, there is a degree of popularity involved, but most threads overall are a popularity contest. Hell, I've been here every day for years and have no fan club, but I still like to contribute. Good work to all members here!
edit on 12/3/12 by shadow watcher because: mind the goats

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Very well said !!

I also believe that S&F's come regardless of "popularity". I give mine for the well written work,regardless if I have entries in the contest or not. I have entered this one,and regardless of the word "winning" I believe that I already won,by having my work out in the open. I just wished I would have taken a bit more time on my story.....

Theres always a part 2 though......

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Always remember, writing is like life. It's always a work in progress, and your work is progressing very nicely.

Can't wait to read some more, so keep at it for sure.

At the end of the day I see this forum as a good way to get connected with like-minded souls who appreciate the effort involved in the creative process.

And of course, my hat goes off to Masqua who allows us all to play in his sandbox.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
And one more just for fun.

I'm hoping this story made it past t&c restrictions..

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
I'm hoping this story made it past t&c restrictions..

Yes, you are flirting (pun intended) with the T&C's. Let's see what they actually spell out:

15b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums on the Websites, and will neither Post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content. You will also not use common alternative spellings or net-speak alternative for profane words.

Well... I know what I think, but, more importantly, what do you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I'm sold.

Fully understand where you're coming from and if it makes writing competitions more lively with more people involved than that's great.

I'll be entering within the next few days.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by masquaWell... I know what I think, but, more importantly, what do you think?

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

But I'm not going to say what I think until you say what YOU think. A moderator is secondary to members in my book... we only volunteer to make this a place worthy for all members, young and old, but it's what the general membership prefers that's the bottom line here.

As you've likely heard before, we are all responsible for what we post. How responsible to all of the membership is your short story? Are you fine with a 12yo member reading it(?), because I know there are members that young. If you have young children of your own, would you want them to read it?

Another point would be the old 'foot in the door' thing. If it's fine to post that story, then does it offer temptation for others to post something a little racier?

Ask yourself these questions and then post your thoughts.

I'm not angry or upset over this. Too long in the tooth for that
, but I really want your honest opinion (and any other member if they wish to chime in).

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My honest opinion is that I think it borders on what is acceptable for this site but nonetheless does not cross a line for general public exposure.

There are plenty of literary works out there that are far more descriptive and suggestive which are considered acceptable reading for teenagers. Although most are not free from controversy. Catcher in the rye is one that has been through the ringer.

I was keeping this all in mind when I wrote it, and did rewrite quite a few paragraphs to filter out words and actions that I felt were unacceptable.

The moral of the story though, was that the MC began with a strange resentment towards women that finally changed after he experienced a woman from outer space. Hopefully that wasn't lost on the readers.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Haha I see this is a popular one, who'da think it on ATS? I look forward to reading all the entries.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

IMHO, if you're wondering if your story stays within the T&C.....some part of it probably did cross the line.

Sexual innuendo, sexually suggestive.....once you start pushing the envelope....someone will try to push it a little further.

I'm all for allowing a bit more leeway in creative writing, but I think this is not something appropriate for ATS.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

NVM

I misread your post.

edit on 13-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

I agree, creative writing forum should have a tiny bit of grey area. You have to remember that even at public library you can pull a number of books off the shelves that would murder the t&c here. While that isn't a justification to bypass it, it does give context to what is available to everyone at all ages.

-I don't like this subject-make it go away-please-Boncho goodbye...
edit on 13-3-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join