It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Hackers Took Over NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab!! (you gotta read this)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Chinese hackers gained control over NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in November, which could have allowed them delete sensitive files, add user accounts to mission-critical systems, upload hacking tools, and more -- all at a central repository of U.S. space technology, according to a report released Wednesday afternoon by the Office of the Inspector General.

That report revealed scant details of an ongoing investigation into the incident against the Pasadena, Calif., lab, noting only that cyberattacks against the JPL involved Chinese-based Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

Paul K. Martin, NASA’s inspector general, put his conclusions bluntly. “The attackers had full functional control over these networks,” he wrote. JPL is a jewel in NASA's space technology crown.

“In 2010 and 2011, NASA reported 5,408 computer security incidents that resulted in the installation of malicious software on or unauthorized access to its systems,” his report states. “These incidents spanned a wide continuum from individuals testing their skill to break into NASA systems, to well-organized criminal enterprises hacking for profit.” Other incidents “may have been sponsored by foreign intelligence services seeking to further their countries’ objectives,” he noted.

Source: www.foxnews.com...

Well now, that may explain how the Chinese program took off so fast lately. Better start taking Rosetta Stone's How to Speak Chinese" course.

They did this AND they were able to take over the drone and land it onto a Iranian base..... We, the USA and ALLIES better be stepping up their playing skills becuase it is about to be GAME TIME>

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
well i only agree with one thing and that is, i should indeed buy a Rosetta stone on mandarin

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I wonder just how long it would take China to crack whatever encrypted files they took out in their raid, if any. I can't imagine that they would have the really sensitive # just sitting out in the open and unprotected.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I agree the U.S. and West in general are getting far too dependent on toys and gizmos where men with brains used to be there to do things. It sure is leaving us vulnerable where you mention the embarrassment with the drone capture.

This is interesting about JPL though. I'm constantly amazed at how Government networks and sites are so easily compromised. JPL is no Taco Stand or High School grade hack... Wow.

Perhaps....Uncle needs to look at the NSA on his right...and the rest of the Government on his left...and use the two. I'll just bet the people at the NSA could Red Team every other Government system right into oblivion. The process of destroying everyone in an exercise might just prevent a real enemy from doing it. Sure..nothing is 100%..but c'mon.

This is just shameful from one of America's leading centers for Space and Technology. Perhaps I WOULDN'T want to volunteer for a long space flight after all. I'd hate for my death to be nothing more than some hacker's latest conquest and bragging right to his buddies. Time to secure our systems like we're serious about it!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Six NASA servers exposed to the Internet had critical vulnerabilities that could have endangered Space Shuttle, International Space Station and Hubble Telescope missions -- flaws that would have been found by a security oversight program the agency agreed to last year but hasn't yet implemented, according to a report by the agency's inspector general.

www.networkworld.com...

Now im no rocket scientist or anything , But why would you have anything nasa connected to the internet. You should have your own private network . closed circut. Keep your internet computers one side , and v.i.p computers on the other , leave a physical empty gap lol.

I'm sure this is happened far more then they admit , or report. The second you are connected to the internet , i don't care what security you put up , people get through that .

Untill they come out with some quntum entanglement hacking , then they need to keep the servers off the internet. Or else they are just saying he come on in !

"In 2010 and 2011, NASA reported 5,408 computer security incidents that resulted in the installation of malicious software on or unauthorized access to its systems,"

yea right , Installing of various software , for later uses . They just installed some crazy programs , so when the cool missions go off , they can later sleeper cell that software , and gain access . Which other hacker can say i controlled the next mars rover! from my bathroom , on my iphone ! lool

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

...JPL manages the Deep Space Network, a network of antenna complexes on several continents that monitors both outer space and planet Earth.

Tactically that is a bummer for the US military. They would of course depend upon that network of earth observation antennas to keep tabs on the communications of other countries (and their military).

So, now the Chinese can see how we see their world thru our "eyes" and "ears".

If I was an enemy laying plans I would want to know the opposing forces methods of spying on me. Not that the US has any enemies or anything.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Read somewhere that NASA had a laptop stolen and had all the ISS code

Maybe it had a bit more than they are saying

Ya Never A Straight Answer

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Isn't SOPA supposed to stop things like this?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Think the Iran thing in the gulf now add to this rubber subs that pop up next to Nuclear powered armadas including air craft carriers and .... Voila we just might not have a war in the Persian Gulf......

I for one am pleased to read this if infact it is true.

Somebody in the world just might have made a check mate and for the good of us all here.
Regards, iwinder

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just beware: to fake an IP isn't rocket science *NPI*
Accusing the Chinese solely on that is at least... naive.
Computers...what a "magic" tool.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeinthematrix

I hear what you are saying but I would have to believe they-NASA etc-have more evidence to be so public about this matter.

Oh wait... it is the Gov't. a.k.a the Obama Administration... a.k.a. China's Money Maker..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
And, I just remembered a story I saw last week about the Chinese Space Program preparing for Space Warfare.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the moment they can strike us, they will.

And, sadly, they may not have to fire a single bullet.

Well, no bullets to take the gov't over... but I dare say there would be some bullets flying. Like a Red Dawn thing.

With some many Preppers and the attention that topic is getting, people will be ready-all over the place to do resistance operations.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Man, where are the ATS Spaceperts? I was hoping to get someone that may know more about the system etc.

I really can't believe more people are concerned about this.

Maybe if Linsey Lohan was involved or the alike.

We are going to be like a big punching bag for a lot of enemies... real soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
When you say space warfare, are you referring to ICBMs, or disabling satellites? The way I see it, warfare in space is still launched from the ground, unless there is some particle beam weapon that can generate power vicariously in orbit, maybe the weapon used to bring down the world trade centers?

I don't think China or anyone else is going to launch a 'space warfare' against a space infrastructure with a 50-year head start. Anyway, the US military can hit anywhere in China without using space as a means of transport. Besides the articles have a lot of 'ifs', 'potentials', 'mays', and 'could haves' sprinkled throughout but I clearly like the leap FOX took by stating 'gained control', LOL!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The government has standards for IT Security.
It boggles my mind that JPL would not be following these.
SSAE 16, SAS 70 define your policy for security as well if your private sector.

There's gotta be more to this.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

That is exactly what I am afraid of. That there is more to the story that we aren't being told.

Again... I feel like two hands wrapping around the USA's throat...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Not really a surprise when you consider that they make our hardware , firmware and not to mention that we outsource our development services to them and other foreign countries.

I posted this a while back in another thread of mine.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The real threat:
What should be considered a BIG threat is the fact that chips, memory, and virtually all computer hardware and software devices are being manufactured overseas. IMO this is a bigger threat than Iran having nuclear power.

1. Foreign governments like China are making our chips and virtually all the hardware devices that go into our computers that are used by our goverment including cia,pentagon,nasa servers, and drones.

2. Even if you use an American company like IBM its still a threat. IBM is no longer a true American company but rather a multinational corporation with multinational scientists and engineers.

So when Iran goes to fire that nuclear weapon and we retaliate don't be surprised if our nuclear weapons become deactivated just like that drone over IRAN.

3. We are giving them our schematics to build our chips and memory and all other devices.
We are outsourcing our control system (brains) and data storage devices

So why aren't they talking about the real threat:
a few Speculations or conclusion that you could make based on the fact that the topic is really not discussed by the MSM:
1. You can assume that the gov't thinks nothing can be done about it and if we don't say anything the bad guys wouldn't think of putting any hidden ports or code to hack the device. Not likely.

2. The gov't hasn't thought of this scenario. Not likely.

3. The gov't top secret agencies already makes their own hardware and software to ensure this doesn't happen. Recent hacks against our weapons such as the drones could indicate that this might not be the case. However, you could assume only the most top secret data and systems use the domestic parts and software.

4. Its not really a threat because we already have NWO?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
its time for the US government to set up tar traps and fake sites to give the Chinese something to hack that would cause them big problems.

I could see rocket plans that would cause the rockets to blow up on the pad or go the wrong way when launched.

With a number of fake site that are easy to hack it might be easy to ban many of the hackers from ever getting to real sites
Just run a system where once identified the hacker is automatically redirected to fake sites when he tries to access a real site.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Excellent reply.

Gives me a few things to think about-and I like that in a response.

STAR!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Does anyone besides me think China is the real threat? I suppose one day China will make it's move, considering all hacking that has been done by Chinese geeks I guess they will be well prepared. I really do love sesame chicken and potstickers, so at least my tummy will be happy. It sucks China banned everything dealing with time travel. Back to the Future 2 and sesame chicken make a great Sunday night. BTW "China" is on the list of words TPTB keep tabs on whilst monitoring the internet, in case you did not know......China China China.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join