It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did a Java update make my sound stop working?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I was just doing a new Java update and it caused my sound to stop working. I almost started to think something was wrong with my computer's sound! It stopped working when I started the download. I have never had any download do this. I have had slight issues with Java esp when in chat or other sites like FB. I restarted my computer and the sound worked fine.

What would cause this?

Oh I use Safari and I have Mac OS X 10.6.8

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
restart your computer.

edit on 1-3-2012 by lacrimosa because: speelng

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

I did... I stated that in the OP

It worked fine when I started it. I want to know why an update would do that. I have never had an update do that and i already have some issues when it comes to Java.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I want to know why an update would do that.

it's nothing to be concerned about, a lot of software updates cant be put in place without a reboot.
ps. everyone has issues with java.

edit on 1-3-2012 by lacrimosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 1/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Read it all wrong

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Not sure exactly how it happened, not a mac guy in the least, but im glad that its working again

The only guess I have is that there was a bug issue in the initiation with the download...(I'm guessing its the newest java update 31 i think it is)...

Sometimes if the developer wasnt perfect in his/her code across all platforms/os/etc...you get a little issue like that...But like I said, glad its not permanent!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Did it come back on after the update? Before reading take note this is a worst case scenario thing. Your problem is probably NOT this. Your computer has to be really messed up and retarded before this will happen. But it's just something I've seen before.

If it came back after the update finished, check if your CPU is running too high or the system is overheating. Java updates can be large. Seems odd it would be a Java update. Usually Windows updates are worse CPU wise, but whatever.

Anyway, back to topic. A large update can cause a lot CPU usage. It could just be maxed out and not have anything left for sound processing. It also could be overheating, and if so, the CPU may slow itself down to cool off, and therefore it will get maxed out way easier than it should. It can't run at full speed.

If so, I've seen the sound go out on some systems. Why? Maybe because sound is a lower priority to the OS so it's the first thing it shuts off. Or maybe the CPU just doesn't have anything left to push the audio out to the card.

Also, was the audio you were playing off the hard drive? Updates can also cause a lot of disk access. Perhaps your computer couldn't buffer new sound data off the drive fast enough. The update was using all your disk transfer speed. A faster drive or more ram may fix that.

Another reason was maybe because Java was doing/updating something sound related that caused your sound drivers to simply crash. Happens, sometimes drivers crash. Reboot, drivers restart, everything is fine.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Did it come back on after the update? Before reading take note this is a worst case scenario thing. Your problem is probably NOT this. Your computer has to be really messed up and retarded before this will happen. But it's just something I've seen before.

My computer is not messed up, I just got it in September and I"ve always had issues with Java but this was new. After looking it up online it has to do with my OS X and Java.

If it came back after the update finished, check if your CPU is running too high or the system is overheating. Java updates can be large. Seems odd it would be a Java update. Usually Windows updates are worse CPU wise, but whatever.

I have a Mac so I have no Windows programs...no way would I ever do that...well I have Silverlight for Netflix but that never gives me problems but other than that no Windows programs on my computer. Java gives me issues when I come to ATS chat too. Never did on my old lap top just this one.

Anyway, back to topic. A large update can cause a lot CPU usage. It could just be maxed out and not have anything left for sound processing. It also could be overheating, and if so, the CPU may slow itself down to cool off, and therefore it will get maxed out way easier than it should. It can't run at full speed.

If so, I've seen the sound go out on some systems. Why? Maybe because sound is a lower priority to the OS so it's the first thing it shuts off. Or maybe the CPU just doesn't have anything left to push the audio out to the card.

Also, was the audio you were playing off the hard drive? Updates can also cause a lot of disk access. Perhaps your computer couldn't buffer new sound data off the drive fast enough. The update was using all your disk transfer speed. A faster drive or more ram may fix that.

Another reason was maybe because Java was doing/updating something sound related that caused your sound drivers to simply crash. Happens, sometimes drivers crash. Reboot, drivers restart, everything is fine.

I find it kind of funny how it's only Java that i have problems with but like I said after reading a bit online and going in some Mac forums it seems it's my OS X and Java. It only did it the one time but it freaked me out! I have to have sound!!!

Thanks for the response!!

new topics

top topics

join