It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA discovers gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall at center of milky way.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+86 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
This image was created using the NASA's Fermi Gamma-Ray Space Telescope:

NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Image of Fermi all-sky map (with bubbles outlined) courtesy of NASA/GSFC/DOE/Fermi LAT/D.Finkbeiner et al.

Scientists have discovered gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall ballooning above and below the Milky Way. Within each curved lobe, extremely energetic electrons of unknown origin interact with lower-energy light to generate the gamma rays that define these bubbles. The galactic-scale structures could be remnants from a burst of star formation or leftovers from an eruption by the supermassive black hole at our galaxy's center. Scientists aren't sure yet, but the more they learn about this amazing structure, which may be only a few million years old, the better we'll understand the Milky Way. While not immediately visible to NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope, these unexpected features were brought into sharp relief by a group of scientists who processed data from Fermi's all-sky map. The visualization below shows how artists imagine the lobes would appear if gamma rays were visible to the naked eye.

NASA

It's amazing how beautiful our universe is.

Every day science is discovering something new, and beautiful.

Go NASA!!!

It's really about the only arm of the government I approve of right now. Of course I'm biased I grew up as a NASA brat as dad worked for NASA.
edit on 1-3-2012 by pianopraze because: added video

edit on 1-3-2012 by pianopraze because: typo light-years, not light-tears...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Awesome! Looks powerful doesn't it? Bet you had some great discussions around your dinner table! Great post, makes me feel very very small.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
simply beautiful!!! the divine knows no boundaries!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
wow ! that's really beautiful

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Gorgeous, I would love to live in one of those bubbles.

Assuming of course I could breathe, not be burnt or frozen to death.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker11
Gorgeous, I would love to live in one of those bubbles.

Assuming of course I could breathe, not be burnt or frozen to death.

lol...

It's hard to comprehend the size. The whole earth would not be one pixel in this picture:

NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center
Image of Fermi all-sky map (with bubbles outlined) courtesy of NASA/GSFC/DOE/Fermi LAT/D.Finkbeiner et al.

link

edit on 1-3-2012 by pianopraze because: ...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Yes of course, I wonder what treasures a bubble like that could be holding. I love thinking in terms of limitless and sometimes completely ridiculous possibilities.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Amazing.
That is really beautiful!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Xcellent... Love to hear about new data gathered or inferred from actual instruments. Seems the singularity or "black hole" or whatever you call it at the center of the Milky Way has a kinda corona too. Just like the sun. And (hotter)...

Cool, thanx for bringing it.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
Awesome! Looks powerful doesn't it? Bet you had some great discussions around your dinner table! Great post, makes me feel very very small.

We did... some of them I was of course told not to tell.. but those things are insignificant now as that was in the 70's- 80s.

But I try to keep up on news about all things NASA...

On topic...

I wonder if this has to do with the fact that the milky way is eating another galaxy:

The Milky Way is indeed cannibalizing another, smaller galaxy. The MW is bigger, and so its gravity did rip the smaller galaxy up, turning into a long ribbon or stream of stars. It does intersect the MW, and the Sun is in fact near this intersection point.

Discover magazine

But we are not from that other galaxy despite claims to the contrary on ATS:

Studies of the Sun’s motion relative to the plane of the Milky Way (using the stars, globular clusters, other galaxies, and many other sources) make it a rock-solid certainty that the Sun’s orbit is in fact in the plane of the Milky Way. It’s not plunging through the disk at a high angle at all. So right away we see that the claim that the Sun is alien to the Milky Way is complete rubbish.

ibed Discover

Astronomers now believe that this galaxy is slowly being torn apart by the vast gravitational forces of our Galaxy.

NASA
link
But if the Milky Way is "cannibalizing" another galaxy, and we have a black hole at the center as scientists think... this might explain the rays... but that is a guess, nothing more.

edit on 1-3-2012 by pianopraze because: added pic

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
At times, the term '[color=FFE694]structure', can be very deceiving.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I wonder if these circular (I assume spherical) structures intersect at the central black hole's event horizon and are 'active plumes' (for lack of a better description), or if it's a leftover shell of an explosion like is suggested in the article.

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Looks an awful lot like the 3d electron orbit in an atom. More and more circumstantial evidence that nothing changes but the scale.

Another pic of the 3dz2 orbital.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

My first thought: They're eggs. Witness the birth of a new universe. ...I may be influenced by the fact that my cockatiel is laying now, but really, the structures DO look like eggs.

GREAT find. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It looks like the milky way has the biggest pair of testicles in the universe lol absolutely astonishing

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Looks an awful lot like the 3d electron orbit in an atom. More and more circumstantial evidence that nothing changes but the scale.

Another pic of the 3dz2 orbital.

Yes, and it's all fractals:

From sub atomic particles to galaxies... all phi/fibonacci... amazing.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here's a few other threads on the subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These were predicted and match the homopolar motor (Faraday disc) galaxy model.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

thank you my thoughts exactly.

just like every other title on ATS... really getting old.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
It is humbling when we see animation of our "Home" and realise that we are just a small cell of a giant organism....our Galaxy the Milky Way. (what a gay name, about time they changed it to Gorgon!! or Romani!! or something, isnt it??).

I would expect it wont be long before they Discover the Space/Time Super Highways throughout our Galaxy and the Universe.......

Still shows, Humans Havent really got a clue,..... we are just fumbling around searching for the meaning of life.

The Sceptics better have a good close look at that Galaxy Animation again, before they make any more, stupid childish statements, that we are alone in the Universe......
Truth is Undeniable....Our Galaxy is teaming with life,.... most of us just are not aware of it...Humans need to open their minds...
The Dolphins are probably already communicating with our Galactic brothers.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

thank you my thoughts exactly.

just like every other title on ATS... really getting old.

NASA's word, not mine guys... no hyperbole at all in the title. Take it up with NASA if you have a problem.

Scientists have discovered gigantic structures 25,000 light-years tall ballooning above and below the Milky Way.

NASA

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join