It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan finishes 'Sky Tree' world's tallest communications tower, 2nd tallest structure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I didn't think they'd finish so soon, but here it is. Today the world has a new second-tallest structure called the Tokyo Sky Tree. It's 2,080 feet tall (tallest in Japan), has observation decks, cost $806 million, and its construction employed a whole lot of workers. I think it looks pretty cool because of the contrast it creates with the average level of the skyline. And, obviously, it was built (by Obayashi, the same person who plans to build the crazy space elevator!) to withstand a powerful quake.

While the world's tallest man-made structure remains the Burj Khalifa in Dubai at 829 meters (2,720 feet), the Sky Tree tops the list of the tallest free-standing towers at 634 meters (2,080 feet).

Tourist bosses in the country hope the 634-metre (2080-foot) tower will be a big draw for foreign visitors, whose numbers have plummeted in the aftermath of the disaster and the nuclear crisis it sparked.

The Tokyo Sky Tree is expected to overshadow landmarks in the capital's upscale western parts, including the 333-metre Tokyo Tower, which was built in 1958 and became a byword in Japan for the country's rapid post-war growth.

Full Story at Cnet
Full Story at PhysOrg

Apologies if I did this wrong, first thread since I've been back from a long hiatus

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Attract tourists....?

I'm running to visit the tallest tower in the world, situated on earthquake riddled land.

Dont get me wrong its a wonderful feat of engineering, I just would be caught dead up there after seeing the video of constant documented earthquakes off the coast of Japan since a year ago.
edit on 1-3-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
that's a really big tower, i see visions of a tokyo from the begining of akira, maybe this is the start of the real neo-tokyo (in a purely architectural sense) who knows? cool post.

edit on 1/3/2012 by josephamccoy because: ()

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by el1jah

Hehe. I agree, aside from my fear of heights, the not-so-little earthquake factor would probably keep me out of ANY tall building there. But for those people who live with that danger every single day, I'd imagine they wouldn't pay the risk any attention, don't you think? But it did seem that they meant tourists outside of the Japanese. Then again, perhaps people would be interested to see how it fares in a quake, you never know. I'm sure they see it as a sort of triumph against the earthquake, like a showing that they won't be brought down that easy?

Either way, it's pretty neat. I love seeing the alteration of the skyline when new buildings are added.

And to the poster above me, I thought the same about Akira! :p It's for sure not the prettiest thing I've seen built, but it's definitely different!

edit on 3/1/2012 by SpaceJ because: added

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
My what a big tower they have..................

I struggle to comprehend a structure that tall. Especially considering it's location. Earthquake proof??! Seeing is believing. Don't think I'd ever take the tour.

new topics

top topics

join