It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School shooter suspect charged with murder as victims' parents speak out

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

School shooter suspect charged with murder as victims' parents speak out

www.cnn.com

T.J. Lane was charged Thursday afternoon on six counts -- including three counts of aggravated murder -- related to this week's fatal shooting of three students at an Ohio high school, according to court documents.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
We all have heard of the tragedy that took place earlier this week in Ohio. The suspect who is 17 will be tried as an adult which i think is appropriate with everything that has happened. Now i know people will disagree with me because you are not considered an adult until you are 18 and are legal to vote, but i think sometimes circumstances dictate how a person should be tried. When you take age into consideration take the West Memphis Three, all three of the teens were tried as adults but only one of them was over the age of 18.

Now i understand bullying is a big thing now a days that drive people to do these things but from what i have read from witness statements this person was not the subject of bullying, and even if he was there are much much better ways to go about dealing with that then going to the school with guns on the intent of killing people.

there were reports from a witness that said, Lane who is the shooter went into the cafeteria and started shooting, when one of the victims went ot hide under a table Lane just "unloaded" on him.

I know that this will not be the last shooting, but i really hope that people find better ways to deal with there problems then just killing innocent people.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Are you sure? The information I saw has him charged with 3 counts of murder as a juvenile. The PA did not try to get him certified as an adult.
edit on 1-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Beating a judge-imposed deadline to act by about an hour, Geauga County Prosecuting Attorney David Joyce filed the charges in juvenile court. The prosecutor, however, has said that the 17-year-old Lane will most likely be tried as an adult

its not for sure yet, but with what he did i can't see him not being tried as an adult

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
Are you sure? The information I saw has him charged with 3 counts of murder as a juvenile. The PA did not try to get him certified as an adult.
edit on 1-3-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

Well this story is from today and was updated about an hour ago

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I kind of think parents are more to blame for not being aware of the mental state your child's in and I'm not sure where he got the gun (haven't read the whole story) but in other cases the parents guns was used and were not in an inaccessable place where the child couldn't get to it. Bullying is a problem as well but to take it to this level of revenge is absurd. Kids remember high school is only 4 years of your life, 4 years after graduating you won't care about that place and probably never see, remember or associate with those people, do your time and move on.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I would hardly call a person in their mid teens a "child". A stored gun is just as accessible to a 50 year old than it is to a 14 year old.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

Foxnews - Ohio teen charged with 3 juvenile counts of aggravated murder in school shooting

Cnn has the same listed, but states the PA will most likely go down the certified as an adult charge.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
I would hardly call a person in their mid teens a "child". A stored gun is just as accessible to a 50 year old than it is to a 14 year old.

Proper storage for a gun would mean that your 14 year old doesn't have access to it. Pretty Simple.

Safety experts recommend storing all firearms unloaded in a locked cabinet and storing ammunition in a different location, also under lock and key. These safety measures have been shown to reduce the risk of unintentional injury or suicide attempts, and are especially crucial in places where children live or visit.

Read more: Proper Storage Conditions for a Gun | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

For example my guns are stored in a locked gun safe.

BTW - Everyone under the aga of 18 is considered a Juvenile

ju·ve·nile   /ˈdʒuvənl, -ˌnaɪl/ Show Spelled[joo-vuh-nl, -nahyl] Show IPA
adjective
1. of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or suitable or intended for young persons: juvenile books.
2. young; youthful: juvenile years.
3. immature; childish; infantile: His juvenile tantrums are not in keeping with his age.

dictionary.reference.com...
edit on 1-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I was bullied beyond belief as a kid, went to 5 different grammar schools and each one was worse, ended up going back to the one I was bullied the least. I have a lazy eye and those kids never let it go, it was torture.
Now this was grammar school and I never once thought to myself to hurt anyone like the kids do now, I did think of beating people up though, but I didn't. Now in high school I was never bullied, strange because adults are pretty rotten now some people cant not say things like "whats wrong with your eye" or "are you looking at me".

so I don't know, was this kid on meds?, what is happening now with young teens and this goes for the crazy kids in columbine 13 years ago to even imagine grabbing a gun and doing this, is it a gender thing?, if I were a boy would I of been more aggressive in grammar school?, I also have three big brothers who stuck up for me, did that help?, I just can't fathom the violence kids are turning to now and my heart goes out to all involved, bullying is bad, really really bad if I were to put down half the stuff that was done to me I would probably bring people to tears.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Proper storage for a gun would mean that your 14 year old doesn't have access to it. Pretty Simple.

Safety experts recommend storing all firearms unloaded in a locked cabinet and storing ammunition in a different location, also under lock and key. These safety measures have been shown to reduce the risk of unintentional injury or suicide attempts, and are especially crucial in places where children live or visit.

Yes...Because a kid that is determined to go to school and kill people is going to be stopped by a small lock.
1.Go to google
2. Search "how to unlock gun safe"
3. Be amazed how easy it is.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by PageAlaCearl

Yes...Because a kid that is determined to go to school and kill people is going to be stopped by a small lock.
1.Go to google
2. Search "how to unlock gun safe"
3. Be amazed how easy it is.

Really?
Yea that looks easy to get into. The silver handles unscrew as well making impossible to turn the locking mechanism.
edit on 1-3-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab
I was bullied beyond belief as a kid, went to 5 different grammar schools and each one was worse, ended up going back to the one I was bullied the least. I have a lazy eye and those kids never let it go, it was torture.
Now this was grammar school and I never once thought to myself to hurt anyone like the kids do now, I did think of beating people up though, but I didn't. Now in high school I was never bullied, strange because adults are pretty rotten now some people cant not say things like "whats wrong with your eye" or "are you looking at me".

so I don't know, was this kid on meds?, what is happening now with young teens and this goes for the crazy kids in columbine 13 years ago to even imagine grabbing a gun and doing this, is it a gender thing?, if I were a boy would I of been more aggressive in grammar school?, I also have three big brothers who stuck up for me, did that help?, I just can't fathom the violence kids are turning to now and my heart goes out to all involved, bullying is bad, really really bad if I were to put down half the stuff that was done to me I would probably bring people to tears.

You're absolutely beautiful! Kids can be idiots -- I'm in High School and thankfully got out of that institution into a home-schooling program because of a bullying teacher.

My guess would be he was on medication of some sort, or his dosage was recently changed. Just a hunch.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well, I guess it's time to install body scanners in all the schools now, Oh and I guess we'll need some contractors to man them and maintain them. While we're at it maybe a 1-800 line so students can call in and report whose parents have guns in the house and students who are acting weird. A homeland security type ROTC is a good idea too..They can have brown shirts and dobermans and march in all the parades. Maybe an anti-bully squad. (under cover of course.) Then lower the voting age to 14 for "good students". We have to do something...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Yeah that's a real nice safe. Won't see me blowing no 3 grand on a gun safe though. Besides, my girls have their own guns already

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NurzeChris

they don't know if he got the firearms from his parents or from a 3rd party, yes because of this people will probably push for not boby scanners like you have at the airport but most likely metal detectors, a lot of schools began to impliment them after columbine happened

this is also really going to hurt people who are pro 2nd amendment like myself

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yeah.. that is what I thought too.
I think charging anyone under 18 is completely stupid.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

i agree to an extent, how could you not charge this person as a adult, he knew what he was doing and had the intent to go to the school with the firearms and murder people

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Either you are an adult or you are not. You can't have it both ways, although some people think it is great to be able to pick and choose. I disagree completely.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Either you are an adult or you are not. You can't have it both ways, although some people think it is great to be able to pick and choose. I disagree completely.

If I had to guess they went with the juvenile charges to get the ball rolling, since certifying a minor as an adult takes some time and involves multiple agencies / divisions. The PA can always refile after he is certified as an adult.

Either way I wish our laws in this area were a bit more concrete.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join