It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severe Weather Forecast for Friday 3/2/12

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Take care!! let us know you are ok after xx

Antar- we are awaiting to hear from redneck, power may be out,

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by RumET
reply to post by eriktheawful

But what made this outbreak an outbreak and not just a regular winter thunderstorm? Though Tstorms are not at all regular in winter. There might be lift and instability, but is it enough heat? As mentioned above somewhere we in Moscow rarely see a thunderstorm at +20-+22C. Just some weak rain showers. And I believe we have the same amount of lift and instability as anywhere else in the world (on our coordinates)? Those storms are just not normal at all for a Russian, so forgive me if I ask those questions. How can what is supposed to be a meager Tstorm evolve into something that produces over fifty tornadoes and goes through half of the United States?

In word? Geography.

The United States is situated in North America in such a way, and the topography of the United States actually compliments so that the formation of Super Cell Thunderstorms are very common. Super Cells is where most (but not limited to) tornadoes are spawned from. Take a look at this link here that talks about what we call "Tornado Alley" here in the US:

Tornado Alley

We have cold air that comes down from Canada, and is met by warm moist air that comes up from both the Gulf of Mexico and off the south Atlantic. Add in the fact that most of the terrain east of the Rockies is flat (relatively speaking, no mountain ranges is what I mean), that cold air comes down and is able to push the warm moist air up over large areas of the US. This situation is what helps develop what we call Super Cell thunderstorms.

Worse, because of how we are situated, during the right times of the year, we get what we hand yesterday: Multicell Line Storms.

Thunderstorms can form all over the world of course, and tornadoes also happen all over the world. It's just that the mid-west and SE part of the USA is in the right place to have these very strong storms form during the warmer months.

As to it happening in the winter: March 21'st is suppose to be the first day of spring, however many meteorologist will tell you that the "calander" season dates and the actual weather dates don't normally match up. December 21'st is the first day of winter according to the calender, but I can tell you that we get below freezing well before that, back in November where I live, and up north, they start getting those temps in October, which is Fall.

I won't come out and say thunderstorms in Feb. is strange, because I've had them before, but I will say that for several years now, it's felt like our seasons are "off" by a few weeks, like all 4 seasons seem to be starting earlier each year. But that's just a feeling I'm having. I've done NO research into it, and have nothing to back that up with (if there is anything to back it up with).

And I may have just opened the door for the Polar Shift people, or something with that statement, sorry about that! But it does seem like the seasons have "shifted" a little bit to me.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Oh goodness this just breaks my heart

The little girl that was found in a field appears to be the only survivor of her family

www.wlky.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IwasOnceHappy

I went to bed, I think we only got some lightening and that was it.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Oh goodness this just breaks my heart

The little girl that was found in a field appears to be the only survivor of her family

www.wlky.com...

sigh.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Aww that is sad. Hope she is okay and they find her parents.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Well we made it out ok. When the sirens go off my heart beast sooooo fast! Man am I glad that threat is over.

So sad all the people that suffered or lost loved ones. Breaks my heart...

My Uncle shot a video of the one by his house, ten or so miles down the road. It was crazy weather....I wonder what spring will be like? Not looking forward to it at all!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Will someone please tell me this is CGI, PLEASE? There is no way that could be possible right. This picture was shared on my FB page by one of my friends. The quote underneath it,

"Taken in Rome, GA last night... I got this off fox fives website go look...to me that doesn't look like a tornado, more like Hell..."

I couldn't find the picture on any Fox website I tried. I ask ATS minds for a little research help.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

This looks for real to me, what is unusual is
that the lightening is in the funnel cloud itself.
From images I have seen most of the time
the lightening comes from the wall cloud.

I will see if I can find an image for
comparison.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Looking at this,it's hard to tell where it originated from,but my guess is that it was not just taken at all.

www.tineye.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The rain was coming down hard with hail and the sky was dark like the night.

Made my bed on the floor in the hallway and snuggeled up with my dogs.

Woke up a few minutes ago and the house is still standing.

Just before I retreated to the hall I received a recorded call telling me to seek shelter.
Never had that warning by phone before.

Hope everyone else is safe.
We did have at least one death here in Georgia that we know of right now.

Love and peace.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Funnel cloud with lightening -
just got this from images, not
sure when or where it was taken.

They do look like something not
of this world.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

reply to post by On the Edge

Thanks for the help. When I saw this on my FB I about jumped off my seat!

Then, I calmly thought this can't be real. I don't want my friend to think that this monster was really in his "backyard" if it isn't true. I just sometimes stand in awe of what mother nature can produce when she wakes up grumpy in the morning.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Deity! Of all things sacred! I am speechless, I couldn't look at the image for longer then a few seconds. Then some primeval fear gripped me and I had to close the tab. That is the scariest thing I have ever seen in my life. I don't think it is CGI, but I do think it's the nastiest, worst nature phenomena I've ever encounter. And usually nature phenomena seem to be beautiful and inspiring. Even a volcano erupting I can look on with awe. This... This is just pure, raw Fear. May it never happen near me, or anyone I know. I am one hundred percent sure that if I saw that unfolding in Real Life I would have become the most faithful Christian on Earth in a Nanosecond.

edit on 3/3/2012 by RumET because: Minor spelling corrections.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RumET

Agreed! This surely looks like Hell on Earth to me. If I saw that thing coming at me I would have dropped dead from shock before it ever got anywhere near me. I can't imagine just standing there taking pics of that beast. I would have needed a change of pants at the very least.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

This has been making the rounds on the webbeez, it's not from Rome Ga. I live near Rome. It's a volcanic lightening episode photoshopped into various backgrounds to make it look like from someplace local.

Original photo and story at link...
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Des
edit on 3-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thank you, thank you! Now I can tell him to calm down.
He has everyone all shook up on FB. Why do people have to scare others like that?

Appreciate all of the help.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Your right Des, I posted the wrong image,
this one is from the volcano. My bad

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Sorry I forgot the link to original photo and story. Have added it to my post, and here so you can send it to your friend....

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Des...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Greetings all:

What a night! Glad all are safe.

And now for something too real: from the front lines in Murphy, NC, after tornadoes and high winds left a path of destruction through parts of Cherokee County on Friday night. All photos by the author, permission given.

Southwestern NC Tornado Coverage

FOR YOUR INFORMATION:

The Cherokee County Cooperative Extension Service is reporting that most of the damage occurred in Hiwassee Dam, Grape Creek, Murphy and Peachtree. Cherokee County Emergency Personnel are accessing the damage and doing door by door searches. Personnel from neighboring counties and states also will be helping with any potential rescue operations, damage assessment and cleanup. Damage assessment is underway.

A command center for operations is at the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office. A shelter has been setup at Peachtree Volunteer Fire Department, 155 Upper Peach Tree Road, Murphy, NC 28906 by the Red Cross.

Brian Scoles with the American Red Cross said that an emergency shelter has been opened in Murphy, North Carolina, after several storms passed thru the area causing extensive damage. Scoles said that seven families were at the shelter after their homes were either heavily damaged or destroyed. In addition, several communities are inaccessible and expect the number of people in need of assistance to grow.

The Red Cross says they will remain on the job until all those affected by this storm have been helped. Currently, the area is still being impacted by the storm and according to the Regional Response Coordination Center, most of the county is without power and 911 services are down.

[color=Salmon]For residents who wish to learn of the status of their loved ones who were affected by these disasters can log onto www.REDCROSS.ORG/safeandwell [color=Salmon]to locate their loved ones.

This was a close call. Ingles Supermarket (on back left out of picture) was missed
by maybe 75 feet as the tornado proceeded west, scouring the ridge to the right.
This parking lot has been somewhat cleaned already.

This semi-truck trailer overturned in the field was parked next to the other one
in the mid-background next to Sears. There are no scrape marks on the ground -
airborne for 200 feet!

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join