It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Australian PM plans anti-terror flying squads, threatens overseas strikes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Australian Prime minister John Howard has announced a plan he claims will help protect his country from the threat of terrorism. The plan called for a fast reacting police force designed to stop attacks in Australia and the rest of the region. In a move similar to the Bush Doctrine and that which was recently proposed by Vladimir Putin of Russia, Howard has gone on the record that he would not hesitate to use pre-emption overseas in the war on terrorism. The plan envisions six teams of Australian Federal Police. Two of the teams would be based outside of Australia in high priority countries. The teams would be equipped with state of the art communications, surveillance gear ,and other technology to spy on and identify terrorists. They also would establish two counter-terrorism criminal intelligence teams and two counter-terrorism surveillance teams. These teams could also be deployed abroad if needed. Howard pledged up to 100 million dollars (Aus) to fund the five year plan.

story.news.yahoo.com
SYDNEY, (AFP) - Prime Minister John Howard unveiled a plan for "flying squads" of police to stop terrorist attacks in the region, stressing he would not hesitate to order a pre-emptive strike overseas if needed to protect Australia.

The idea was condemned as "clumsy foreign policy" by opposition leader Mark Latham, who said it would make Australia less safe, rather than more safe.

With security one of the top issues for the October 9 election after this month's bombing of Australia's Jakarta embassy, Howard pledged nearly 100 million dollars (70 million US) to the plan if reelected.

"We will not wait for a terrorist threat to eventuate before we take action," he said in an official announcement.

"In close co-operation with our regional neighbours we will ensure that we take every measure possible to disrupt and destroy the terrorist networks at their source."

The six new teams of officers from the Australian Federal Police would include two based outside Australia, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Terming the plan �clumsy foreign policy opposition leader Mark Latham, went on record as saying the plan would make Australia lees secure . Security has become a big issue in the Australian elections scheduled for October 9th. Latham goes on to point out that Australian citizens would be outraged if another country used the same policy to initiate an attack on them. Howard however stated that the teams would be used in close co-operation with their regional neighbors in an effort to �disrupt and destroy� the terrorist groups. The Australian Foreign Minister Alexander Downer agreed with Howard�s approach and said the other countries in the region would welcome such a plan.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Boy oh boy "Prime Minister John Howard " does not have a clue really this is going to nothing but upset the whole region. As a rule anything "downer" says is a good idear is 100% not

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   
So who is winning right now?

Terror =3

Democracy =0

U.S., Britain, Australia and Russia will be next.

Russia admits to getting rid of democracy- will the other three?

What is/was Bin Laden and his sort after?

Australia now joins the U.S. and Britain in sending government assassination teams out into the world. While this nothing new for Britain and the U.S. I believe this new for Australia. What is say, Canada, going to do when heavily armed Aussies and Brits descend in MooseJaw to remove a terror cell? Or the U.S. and Australia launch a joint operation in Mexico at Cancun will the Mexicans turn a blind eye?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The PM said that if they had concrete evidence of a terrorist attack against Australians then they may act preemptively - he clearly stated this was a last resort. I agree 100% - what good is a government if it's unwilling to protect its people.
Whereas Latham wouldn't do anything without cooperation, even if hundreds of Australian would be killed due to inaction. latham is a weak leader and a gutter thug - his true personality is starting to come out.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:15 AM
link   

The PM said that if they had concrete evidence of a terrorist attack against Australians then they may act preemptively

This whole thing is starting to get really scary. Not that it's not scary
already.
I hope the hell Howard knows what he's doing, messing around in
other nations (while I can understand where he's coming from).
Sticking your nose into Asia I think is going to have some dangerous
ramifications.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by dwh0
Boy oh boy "Prime Minister John Howard " does not have a clue really this is going to nothing but upset the whole region.

I think every western democracy should have the ablity eliminate terrorists in neighbouring countries. There is a big differnce between Bushs policy of invading countries for navie reasons and disposing of terrorists that plan attacks on Australia or other democracys.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
What is/was Bin Laden and his sort after?

The re-establishment of a the caliphate no? They could give two you knowwhats (well, don't you know?) about how people in the west comport themselves.

Australia now joins the U.S. and Britain in sending government assassination teams out into the world. While this nothing new for Britain and the U.S. I believe this new for Australia. What is say, Canada, going to do when heavily armed Aussies and Brits descend in MooseJaw to remove a terror cell?

Canda would probably have destroyed a terror cell in their country before any team from anywhere else could get to it.

Or the U.S. and Australia launch a joint operation in Mexico at Cancun will the Mexicans turn a blind eye?

If mexico [or canada, or denmark, or switzerland] won't do anything about it, why should anyone care what they think?

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Given that Australia is facing a federal election in a couple of weeks, Howard might be voted out and this plan may never come to fruition.

I have a nasty feeling though, that wont happen and this will be actualised..........

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
Given that Australia is facing a federal election in a couple of weeks, Howard might be voted out and this plan may never come to fruition.

I have a nasty feeling though, that wont happen and this will be actualised..........

The country will be in a hole if Latham ever gets into power - the guy is hopeless. He's already trying to instigate a class war in Australia.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The old saying goes, "you fight fire with fire" and that is exactly what a few western nations are planning to do. The plan of attack is a fluid offence using the title "preemptive strikes".
It is evisioned that these strikes will unbalance the terror orgainizations world wide.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I like the idea of the new Tom Clancy book "The Teeth of The Tiger" Where a side organization of the CIA recruits several well experienced government officals (marines, CIA, FBI) to go out and run anti-terrorist assasinations in Europe.

I am sorry but this time we are going to have to start getting people overseas to conduct operations to kill off known terrorist leaders. Europe simply seems to appease these people.. now only a few nations have the guts to go out and destroy these terrorists before it's too late.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I believe that what we may be seeing here is the gradual globalization on both economic and military levels. The internet is making it more and more difficult to enforce international laws (such as online drug sales), the larger nations are out-sourcing much of their labor, and many nations are working together on global policing policies. This has been happening for decades now.

If we are ever going to be able to seriously focus on space and beyond as well as ending things like hunger and disease, then we must first organize ourselves as a single species and not a confederation of many (mostly disagreeing) nations. This kind of unification cannot and will not be easy, and there will always be some who are tread upon in the process.

If we do not unite as a species (whether by choice or by force) then our own squabbling war-like nature may bring us to extinction. Technology progresses every day, and if it is to keep progressing then we must put an end to war completely. Otherwise, eventually any tiny political or religious extremist group would have the potential to cause destruction on a global level. And some of you still wonder why governments may hide world changing technologies lol.

The fact that the U.S., U.K. and Australia (amongst others) are willing to openly push for this kind of progress does not frighten me any more than any of the other issues directly related to the rapid developement of human civilization (for example... genetic engineering, nanotechnology, antimatter/plasma experiments, etc.).

Even if all of this frightens you, there's little to be done about it besides dealing a crushing blow to modern civilization. If we as a people begin to stagnate... then it may mean the end for most if not all of us. If you were forced to choose between the New World Order and oblivion... what would your choice be?

Forgive me for the rant, but I feel much better now.
I try to look at the bright side of every situation, otherwise I might lose my mind.

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When I was 11 or 12 a kid kept picking on me so I said, " Do you want to talk or do you want to fi#@$%POW!" The kid took my head off before I could say "fight".

These people should just keep there mouth shut and do what they need to do instead of running their mouths and telling the whole world. By them talking about it the terrorist will be looking closer toward them in the future more than if they just kept their yap holes shut. The quiet dog is the one that will bite worse. Oh well I guess they had to spout off something considering it's election time.

top topics

join