It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does God lead into temptation ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
How does God tempt ? In this prayer it says "Lead us not into temptation". Or am i misunderstanding this verse ?

Lord's prayer.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.
Amen.

Jesus was led by the spirit into tempation, and he's basically asking God to spare the rest of us the same ordeal.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

No, the Spirit led Jesus to the wilderness. The temptation was of the devil. The Spirit led Jesus there for a test, the Spirit didn't do the tempting, lucifer did.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

My point is the same, that we not be led into a place of temptation. His situation was unique, and that test was part of his journey, but he seemed to prefer that we might avoid being led in the same direction, to be tested or tempted.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pica13pica
reply to post by reficul

You say man was given free will after the temptation of Eve by satan. This implies that Eve had no free will before.
This implies that God planned the temptation of Eve...

I haven't read the remainder of this thread yet..so I am sure there are many answers.
God knows all from beginning to end. Right? So God knew Adam and Eve would fail before He created them. He is omnipotent. And..a test in the Garden was not going to change that condition. Humans always had free will. The test proves that. Either they will or they won't disobey. If total obedience was there, God wouldn't need to test them. .., Adam and Eve would always obey God for all eternity, or for as long as God wanted them to.
Since God KNOWS ALL....it stands to reason that their failure was part of the plan. Everything was already known in advance, even the serpent's entry was known..He's GOD.
To say God didn't know .......well..would just mean He doesn't know everything.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

No, the Spirit led Jesus to the wilderness. The temptation was of the devil. The Spirit led Jesus there for a test, the Spirit didn't do the tempting, lucifer did.

Again..this goes back to God knowing all from beginning to end. Do you really think God would send Jesus into temptation with Satan, if He did not already know His Son would not fail!? Another question is..why would Satan even attempt the temptation of Jesus, especially Knowing the Almighty authority of GOD. Satan had to know that was destined for failure. How did anyone know of Satan's temptation of Jesus?. I am sure Satan didn't want to broadcast that failure him self.
Satan can't do anything that God doesn't allow him to...take the story of Job...
edit on 1-3-2012 by ellieN because: added

edit on 1-3-2012 by ellieN because: to clarify

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by icepack

the original wasn't writ in english either! ancient hebrew/aramaic.
english translations don't do justice to any ancient language!
there is an earlier version of this prayer int the egyptin book of the dead,along with the commandments(egyptians had a few more than 10!)
guess wher moses came from!? guess what religion he stole!!!

The Decalogue has only 10 commadments, and those are to be kept even to this day. The list of ordinances Jesus saved us from were the other 603 jewish civil laws which are impossible to keep and ridiculous. Under the jewish civil laws in the old days picking up a stick on the sabbath was punishable by death.

Naturally man would create similar laws as God, since the flood we all came from Noah's line and Enoch taught men the ways of God but after he ascended things slid downhill once the fallen ones began making Nephilim babies who were destroyed by the flood and became the demons of today.
edit on 1-3-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

I have only read your thread title....
G-d does not tempt us,He tests us!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

God's will transcends the duality of good and evil. Take a look at the cross of Jesus Christ as a set strandard of the height of Justice, and Mercy. It's an extraordinary resolution to the paradox of human sin and evil.

The problem all along was about man taking on the role of the judgement of good and evil, and the duality and separation which is the cause of that fatal flaw and the swallowing of the lie.

God never did answer Job directly, about why, or the wheretofor of his ways.

Yeah, he knew we'd fall away, and then made a way, for a return path of reconciliation, from God by God and through God and through the love of the son of God in the person of Jesus Christ, reborn from above, and thus from heaven sent.

It makes sense if you think it through all the way.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by icepack

I have only read your thread title....
G-d does not tempt us,He tests us!

God can do whatever God wants and determines in accordance with his perfect will. He could pretend to be Satan if he really wanted to, he can bind, unbind, create, destroy, give, take away, whatever suits God's fancy, and so when we look around, and see that his "way" is that of VIRTUE, whereby virtue may be defined as power restrained, then we are brought to our knees in awe. But far be it for us to tell God what God can and cannot do, being transcendant of the duality of good and evil.

I trust God, because God has proven to be trustworthy and true, particularly in the person of Jesus Christ as the lamb of God.

We are free, and are responsible for ourselves, there is no devil making us do it.

Typically though God is the perfect gentleman who waits on us, except for the rare chosen person who is very actively goaded by fate, circumstance and thus by God to follow a certain path, the buck stops here with you and me, and that too is a magnificent gift of God, that freedom, the freedom to freely love and be fully and authentically self expressed, to have life to the full even to overflowing.

It's a sin not to accept it, that life. That's the greater sin.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Religion is the temptation for the weak and lost,god is just a character in a STORY,and a damm good selling story that's been changed from its original draft,that was written by men that never walked,talked,sat or even looked upon god or his son,the gospels Matt mark luke John MAY have indeed wrote them BUT THAT WAS 30 or 40 years after christs death. DON'T TAKE THE GOSPELLS AS GOSPEL they are spells for you mind the whole bible is! JESUS AIN'T COMING BACK,THE ILLUMINATI JUST USED HIM TO FURTHER THEIR AGENDA WITH BS RELIGION

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Which one are you weak or lost? Infact don't answer hear ask your heart and keep it a secret between you and your make believe characters

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Most modern religions are theological amalgamations of each other or older polytheism practices. Here are just a few examples of the many available.

Noah-Flood / Surippakite-Epic of Gilgamesh

Satan / Hell Set / Underworld

Messiah- Jesus Christ, Chrishna, Quexalcote

Serpent deception- Adam, Meshia(Persian)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BULLETINYOURHEAD
Religion is the temptation for the weak and lost,god is just a character in a STORY,and a damm good selling story that's been changed from its original draft,that was written by men that never walked,talked,sat or even looked upon god or his son,the gospels Matt mark luke John MAY have indeed wrote them BUT THAT WAS 30 or 40 years after christs death. DON'T TAKE THE GOSPELLS AS GOSPEL they are spells for you mind the whole bible is! JESUS AIN'T COMING BACK,THE ILLUMINATI JUST USED HIM TO FURTHER THEIR AGENDA WITH BS RELIGION

Ooo..hmmm...that was harsh!!
I was a Sunday school teacher when I was young...but being an ancient now..and doing much research on the Bible ..of the history of the times and the politics. I spent a lot of time in the libraries, but now I can do it on the internet! Nice!!
There is much in the Bible that is truly horrific, but there are some very beautiful things too.
This Universe is so amazing, it is just beautiful! Of course, it is very violent, too. One day our sun will die and the Earth will have been extinguished a long time before that happens.
God, was the Chemist, the Physicist, Mathematician, Biologist, the Scientist, and a whole lot more to put together something so magnificent. There are no words that do justice to this creation. It is perfect.!!!!

As one said on a post..God can do whatever he wants to...His personality in the Bible is exactly like ours. We are truly in his image. Violent at times, with much killing, and truly compassionate, too. This is very baffling, but being a God of such a vast Universe and no telling how many other civilizations out there to deal with just may have its pressure. You have to remember ..there are more stars in the Universe than there are grains of sand on all the beaches in the world. That is a lot of stars.
Take a look at humanity. We can create many beautiful things that are breath taking...amazing to look at too..In every field on work there are astonishing things we are doing. We can do some truly evil things that is just staggering to the mind. We can be the best and the worst.
edit on 2-3-2012 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellieN

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Again..this goes back to God knowing all from beginning to end. Do you really think God would send Jesus into temptation with Satan, if He did not already know His Son would not fail!? Another question is..why would Satan even attempt the temptation of Jesus, especially Knowing the Almighty authority of GOD. Satan had to know that was destined for failure. How did anyone know of Satan's temptation of Jesus?. I am sure Satan didn't want to broadcast that failure him self.
Satan can't do anything that God doesn't allow him to...take the story of Job..

Because Jesus came in the flesh. He way able to be tempted in the same manner Adam would have been able to be tempted in the garden, Adam also has no inherited sin nature. And Jesus passed the test.

edit on 2-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
to clear something up: i am not a religious person, i am not trying to defame god, but in a common sense, if someone "begs" not to be led into temptation, it must have happened before, otherwise it makes no sense. if god leads humans and a believer asks not to be led into temptation, it basically means god sometimes leads into temptation. imo.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff

to clear something up: i am not a religious person, i am not trying to defame god, but in a common sense, if someone "begs" not to be led into temptation, it must have happened before, otherwise it makes no sense. if god leads humans and a believer asks not to be led into temptation, it basically means god sometimes leads into temptation. imo.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by BeneElohim

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MentalDrip33

i'm sorry. i don't know exactly what your trying to say. please elaborate.
i dont recall the myths of quexalcote,or krishna being the anointed one
jesus was anointed by mary,which made him the messiah,which in greek is the anointed.
meshia is the hebrew pernounciation of this.
the magi (magicians today) where the star gazers for zorastorism,who would predict the future with events in the sky.
yes i agree that all religions share a certain theme,grat floods,second comings,gods from the sky etc.
i'm not trying to be a dink,but i don't get what your driving at!
any response will be welcome
peace

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

totally off topic,but i love your avatar! celtic knot work & skulls are my favorite things to draw and tattoo!
cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join