It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Does God lead into temptation ?

page: 2
2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack
 



Originally posted by icepack
How does God tempt ? In this prayer it says "Lead us not into temptation". Or am i misunderstanding this verse ?

Lord's prayer.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom,
the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever.
Amen.



You misunderstand. Consider the following:

James 1:12-15
13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: 14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. 15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

1 Corinthians 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Psalm 23:
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and
thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup
runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.





edit on 1-3-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul
 




well i guess god got somethig right --- lucifer! look how god let him have his way with job!

are you sure that lucifer is satan ?



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pica13pica
 


the ONLY reference to lucifer in the bible is isaiah 14:12
'how art thou fallen from heaven,o lucifer,son of the morning.
how art thou cut down to the ground which did weaken the nations.
for thou has said in thine heart
i will ascend INTO heaven
i will exalt my throne above the stars of god.'

this sounds like venus 'falling' as the winter star,and 'ascending' into heaven as the summer morning star!

all other references to lucifer being the devil are from jewish mythology,or christian fear mongering!



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by reficul
 




well i guess god got somethig right --- lucifer! look how god let him have his way with job!

are you sure that lucifer is satan ?



God gets NOTHING wrong...

Satan is a fabrication.

Lucifer is the angel of light, an entity on the higher 'echelons', who exercised the function of FREE WILL, but could not be made to 'incarnate' (as a function of FREE WILL) having passed this level, but was relegated to a commensurate 'lower' level...hence his/her 'fall' from grace...the grace given by the function of FREE WILL.

Akushla



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff
 




I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man

i see, thanks for explaining.

but these are two different authors, Matthew and James, maybe one says god does not tempt and the other says that god does.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99
 


well most of the biblical scholars i've read says the christians got it wrong,and lucifer is a reference yo the king of babylon,who enslaved the jews.
god didn't write the bible,MAN DID!
phosphoros --- greek venus
helel ben shahar --- hebrew for phosphoros
lucifer -- latin for venus
get it?



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99
 


i'm not sure where you studied ancient jewish beliefs,but i think you should ask for your money back!!!



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by akushla99
 


well most of the biblical scholars i've read says the christians got it wrong,and lucifer is a reference yo the king of babylon,who enslaved the jews.
god didn't write the bible,MAN DID!
phosphoros --- greek venus
helel ben shahar --- hebrew for phosphoros
lucifer -- latin for venus
get it?


I have little care for biblical scholars...
Christians have got it ALL wrong...
Correct...GOD did not write the bible! (translations of translations of translations...)...

Therefore, debating the ins and outs of translations of translations of translations will render NO elucidation of anything original...

"Lucifer - latin for venus...get it?"

Me...a name I call myself...

Get it?

Akushla



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by akushla99
 


i'm not sure where you studied ancient jewish beliefs,but i think you should ask for your money back!!!



You have no idea how comical this sounds from where I am standing...

A blind man, accusing the sighted?

Akushla

edit on 1-3-2012 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by akushla99
 


fa, a long long way to run!!!

my eyesight is as good as my insight thank you!
i think your charming!



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
reply to post by akushla99
 


fa, a long long way to run!!!

my eyesight is as good as my insight thank you!
i think your charming!


You're most welcome...

I think you are gracious...
...and you're 'in' sight is in perfect working order...
But, the workings of a 'vehicle' can be in 'perfect working order'...just needs someone to 'drive' it, as it should be driven...

Akushla

edit on 1-3-2012 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
i appologize to any that i may have offended, but i get terribly frustreted when most people just take the word of their priest as 100% accurate! this is a false hood!
shed the years of religious training you have endured,and research the truth! its out there.
i do believe in the teachings of the christ,along with many other prophets.
there is no 'correct' religion,only personal experience.
even the christ said the kingdom of god is on earth,in you!
peace



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
i appologize to any that i may have offended, but i get terribly frustreted when most people just take the word of their priest as 100% accurate! this is a false hood!
shed the years of religious training you have endured,and research the truth! its out there.
i do believe in the teachings of the christ,along with many other prophets.
there is no 'correct' religion,only personal experience.
even the christ said the kingdom of god is on earth,in you!
peace


I second the motion!

...and it is true...

Akushla



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff
 




I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man

i see, thanks for explaining.

but these are two different authors, Matthew and James, maybe one says god does not tempt and the other says that god does.


You shouldn't edit out words from scripture.

Too, scripture isn't interpreted by one verse but we must put them all together. You've misunderstood the verse you quoted.

Deny ignorance.
edit on 1-3-2012 by HeFrippedMeOff because: better message



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HeFrippedMeOff
 




Matthew 6:13 "And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

i didn't know it was from Matthews, BeneElohim posted:


Matthew 6:13 "And do not lead us into temptation" should be rendered "into time if testing" The request "do not lead us into temptation"is not to suggest God causes temptation, but is a rhetorical way to ask for His protection from sin. Many times in the New Testament we are told to perservere through our trials/temptations/testings, even rejoice in the fact James 1:2 My brothers and sisters, count it all joy when you fall into various trials/temptations/testings, 3)knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience/endurance. 4)And let patience/endurance have it's perfect effect/work, so that you will be perfect and complete, not lacking anything.



edit on 1-3-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack
 


Yes, I thought for a moment you were claiming that the spliced scripture you misquoted was supposed to be from Matthew. I myself attempted to rectify my own misunderstanding by editing the message with a better one.

Nevertheless, I provided this thread with more than enough scripture to help clear up the misunderstanding from James, Matthew, Paul, and David but if you still don't understand, calling on our Father to not lead us into temptation is not a concession that He does.

We call on our Father to not lead us in, but instead lead us out.

Correctly read, it's a cry for help. Not an accusation on our Father's character.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul
 


No need. I guess we share a certain vision. People just might fear the lightbearer and run and unknowingly hide satan in their Shadow.



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack
 



How does God tempt ? In this prayer it says "Lead us not into temptation". Or am i misunderstanding this verse ?


Yes, you're misunderstanding it. It's just a colorful, poetic way to say "God, shield/protect us from temptation."



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


english is not my native language, but shouldn't it say "don't let us be led into temptation"?



posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


english is not my native language, but shouldn't it say "don't let us be led into temptation"?


You could say that if you want to in English, it means the same thing. Think of sheep and a Sheppard. Imagine the sheep saying to the sheppard: "Don't lead us near the wolves today please Mr. Sheppard." It would mean the same thing as if the sheep said: "Protect us from the wolves today Mr. Sheppard please."


edit on 1-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join