It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA investing in "Avatar" robot surrogates for US soldiers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Are you saying that they finally cracked the Starship Trooper skeleton? Or are we talking more of a Miles Vorksgovian deal? I look forward to seeing some of that.

Galad - I think that you have a valid point about the state of the human mind. Capturing what we are requires far more room for ....crazy. Not only is the shell integral to the mythology of the inner human, but the fact that the brain is a composite of many brains is integral to our methods of thought.

Bootstrapping a mechanical construct all at once seems to be the ongoing preference, but fails to build complexity the way that the real human mind does.

When you remove yourself from your inputs, and replace them with different inputs, what are you? Can you be the same thing when the pleasures you take are based on sensory input which fails to be dynamic in nature?

That being said, perhaps there is the possibility of such an experience still managing to contain the human mind. A sort of x-referencing of sensorium. A way of referencing one sort of physical experience for a mechanical equivalent.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Oil and water Aeons, it just dont mix. But both can coexist.

Galad - I think that you have a valid point about the state of the human mind. Capturing what we are requires far more room for ....crazy. Not only is the shell integral to the mythology of the inner human, but the fact that the brain is a composite of many brains is integral to our methods of thought.

I know you do not believe it Aeons, but yes what the nutters are saying is true. We are one, just parts of a bigger picture, cogs in a machine that is not really a machine like you know it. Individuality only exists because we can not see the bigger picture..But that does not mean a bigger picture does not exist.

As above so bellow, were never one person from one moment to another, this is seen in our feelings which are never the same throughout the day. For me just right now in the span of an hour I went from all happy like to all sad like, and a multitude of fleeting feelings in between all that.

Just a function or symptom that the brain is a composite of many brains like you said.

Bootstrapping a mechanical construct all at once seems to be the ongoing preference, but fails to build complexity the way that the real human mind does.

We are analog beings, we exist only in comparison to other beings and things. I don't know are we really all that complex, is the human mind really all that complex, or do we just think that we are, so therefore we are. Can we compare and contrast that, what if we do it with an open mind that maybe we just might not be the greatest thing in all of existence...Can a human mind really register that concept.

These are just toys Aeons, just toys, children's toys, even the ones that go boom are still just toys for a game, there all toys for all kinds of different games.

When you remove yourself from your inputs, and replace them with different inputs, what are you? Can you be the same thing when the pleasures you take are based on sensory input which fails to be dynamic in nature?

When you change your inputs you change who you are. The output then so changes defined itself by it's input, nothing ever is ever the same, then once again it becomes a multitude gathering inputs changing itself its core. It can be expressed in a couple ways I think, you can even say that the real orderly the machines are, the many one. But it can also be, the many ones. And it can also be, out of many one. E Pluribus Unum.

Guess which ones we are. Or maybe were a bit of all three.

That being said, perhaps there is the possibility of such an experience still managing to contain the human mind. A sort of x-referencing of sensorium. A way of referencing one sort of physical experience for a mechanical equivalent.

I always wanted to be a tachikoma Aeons, since I suck at being human, I figure hey why not. Curiosity killed the cat they say, but one can only know when when tries it. But actually it can be done, digitalization of the human mind. I mean not now, but it can be done, there is one problem however, it wont be human once its done.

But I suppose there probably can be a way of referencing a physical experience for a mechanical equivalent. Which once again brings us back to trying to mix oil and water into one element, we would need more then just mechanization to achieve such a thing we would need a bit of biology and chemistry also, in fact it is just something that might not be possible to bring into existence by it being made or manufactured, but maybe it can grow into existence.

edit on 4-3-2012 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Yes...we have alot of...and I can't believe I am using your word...SPIFFY...LOL! Military Weapons systems. One thing that many people talk about as this Horrible Number of Soldiers KIA by booby traps and IUD's that some in the media make it as if we are loosing any war.

Google the number of people that die slipping in their tub a year....the number that die accidentlly falling asleep with a smoke in their hand...the number who die in car accidents. These numbers BOGGLE THE MIND!

We go to WAR...actual WAR...and have the lightest number of casualties in the HISTORY OF WARFARE in these regions as well as our enemy being elliminated as we type...to the point of them not being able to opperate. And some people call this a loss? Tell that to a few all VOLUNTEER MILITARY U.S. SOLDIERS and see what they will say.

Our Fighting Men and Women are PROFESSIONAL VOLUNTEERS of the HIGHEST SKILLS AND ABILITIES.
We will honor the Dead by giving them the best tools for the job...and limit our casualties by learning from the past. Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity
Our Fighting Men and Women are PROFESSIONAL VOLUNTEERS of the HIGHEST SKILLS AND ABILITIES.
We will honor the Dead by giving them the best tools for the job...and limit our casualties by learning from the past. Split Infinity

Well said. Very well said.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Yes...we have alot of...and I can't believe I am using your word...SPIFFY...LOL! Military Weapons systems. One thing that many people talk about as this Horrible Number of Soldiers KIA by booby traps and IUD's that some in the media make it as if we are loosing any war.

Google the number of people that die slipping in their tub a year....the number that die accidentlly falling asleep with a smoke in their hand...the number who die in car accidents. These numbers BOGGLE THE MIND!

We go to WAR...actual WAR...and have the lightest number of casualties in the HISTORY OF WARFARE in these regions as well as our enemy being elliminated as we type...to the point of them not being able to opperate. And some people call this a loss? Tell that to a few all VOLUNTEER MILITARY U.S. SOLDIERS and see what they will say.

Its called an IED. IUD is a form of birth control =)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by sputniksteve

YES. Congratulations...you caught me in a typo. Yeah...for you!
Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

By the way Steve....I have done more Partying and been to Parties that you could only DREAM OF! I Toured with Aerosmith as Tyler and Perry went on a destructive Drug fueled Party Bing that lasted for TWO YEARS. The reason why Aerosmith Broke Up was over ONE SONG...LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING...a song written by Joe Perry and performed on occasion by the Joe Perry Project.

This is what happened...Joe Perry is NOT AEROSMITHS LEAD GUITARIST...BRAD WHITFORD IS! Joe wanted to do his song that he played with in the Joe Perry Project. Steve Tyler said..F'U! I AM THE SINGER AND BRAD IS THE LEAD GUITARIST. You...JOE are the rythem guitarist.

Joe Perry wanted to sing this song as well as play the leads....Steve said no...so for almost two solid years they got into a fist fight of which I was there. They split up and Steve went on with Kramer as well as Brad Whitford for a while and they came out with THE LIGHTNING STRIKES ALBUM AND TOUR. We also did that tour with them. As sales dropped...Steve and Joe came to their senses and did the Album Done with Mirrors of which the song...LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKIN was sung by Steve and Lead was played by Joe Perry. As Brad Whitford started to look OLDER...AEROSMITH went MTV and made Joe Perry the Lead Guitarist as far as his spot on stage but still during a show...BRAD WHITFORD played the notes.

I have seen Rappers and Hip Hop Stars at the Grammy's get on stage and tell stories about the RUN DMC Video performed by Run DMC and Steve and Joe as these Rappers and Hip Hop stars would tell stories of how they remember seeing a show in the past and watching Joe Perry blast out the Leads as Tyler Leaned on him. BULL!
This is all made up and Every Lead was written by Brad Whitford.

So Steve...I can say with confidence...you do not know what a real Party is...and until a Hotel catches on Fire or You can get the entire Police Force of a Small Town to deliver Beer and Liquor...then talk to me. Split Infinity

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

By the way Steve....I have done more Partying and been to Parties that you could only DREAM OF! I Toured with Aerosmith as Tyler and Perry went on a destructive Drug fueled Party Bing that lasted for TWO YEARS. The reason why Aerosmith Broke Up was over ONE SONG...LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKING...a song written by Joe Perry and performed on occasion by the Joe Perry Project.

This is what happened...Joe Perry is NOT AEROSMITHS LEAD GUITARIST...BRAD WHITFORD IS! Joe wanted to do his song that he played with in the Joe Perry Project. Steve Tyler said..F'U! I AM THE SINGER AND BRAD IS THE LEAD GUITARIST. You...JOE are the rythem guitarist.

Joe Perry wanted to sing this song as well as play the leads....Steve said no...so for almost two solid years they got into a fist fight of which I was there. They split up and Steve went on with Kramer as well as Brad Whitford for a while and they came out with THE LIGHTNING STRIKES ALBUM AND TOUR. We also did that tour with them. As sales dropped...Steve and Joe came to their senses and did the Album Done with Mirrors of which the song...LET THE MUSIC DO THE TALKIN was sung by Steve and Lead was played by Joe Perry. As Brad Whitford started to look OLDER...AEROSMITH went MTV and made Joe Perry the Lead Guitarist as far as his spot on stage but still during a show...BRAD WHITFORD played the notes.

I have seen Rappers and Hip Hop Stars at the Grammy's get on stage and tell stories about the RUN DMC Video performed by Run DMC and Steve and Joe as these Rappers and Hip Hop stars would tell stories of how they remember seeing a show in the past and watching Joe Perry blast out the Leads as Tyler Leaned on him. BULL!
This is all made up and Every Lead was written by Brad Whitford.

So Steve...I can say with confidence...you do not know what a real Party is...and until a Hotel catches on Fire or You can get the entire Police Force of a Small Town to deliver Beer and Liquor...then talk to me. Split Infinity

Wthell? this is related?

Interesting, but "huh?"

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulVisions

It was my reply to a person who took the time to point out my typo. The persons Avatar and Name being related to a thought or concept that just because I take a certain position based on facts in that they feel I cannot relate to topics such as these from their perspective made me respond in the way that I did.

I am a Man of Peace but I am also a Man or Reality that works to ensure that peace. I have run into...one time too many...a person who forms an opinion of me by the way I post and feels it is not od a Modern Progressive Nature that they feel they are apart of.

The reality is that talking about doing something to effect change is not the same as DOING SOMETHING to effect change. This is why I rambled on about being in the thick of Partying and NEVER in my mind have I connected the aspect of Relating my Partying Experience with ACTIONS that I have been a part of to make this a better world. Too many people LOVE to BITCH and there are not enough people who are willing to put their lives on the line to hopefully change things for the better. I HAVE.

I am fortunate to be smart...extremely so as to be able to carry on a conversation with the people who are in a position of great importance...that being the Teachers and Professors that are molding the Youth of America who will be my replacement. I find that I become disheartened when discussing concepts of Necessity of Action and the alternative concept of Non-Interference. Reguardless of the Lies and Stupidities of Both Parties of our Government...when I see academia forming opinions that are not based on logic or reality but rather on some ill concieved notions of what and who are the people responsible for keeping all of us safe...I will debate these teachers and when my logic finally comes down to breaking open their REAL reasoning of why they carry their baggage into the earning Process of their Students...they act like children who have decided that no matter what you can prove or logically bring to the conversation...they shut down and will not admit what they are doing is wrong.

This Disheartens me even more as these people who are in control of what their students get out of the learning process...do not teach from a perspective of allowing the STUDENT to form their own opinion...rather they ingrain their fears and notions into the student as the student trusts them....this is a Breach of TRUST! The teachers or Professors job is to present the FACTS and allow the STUDENT to make an informed decision or opinion.

I have had the most self professed Non-Violent Professor...SCREAM at me. That is all the proof I need that there is something wrong. Split Infinity

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

This Disheartens me even more as these people who are in control of what their students get out of the learning process...do not teach from a perspective of allowing the STUDENT to form their own opinion...rather they ingrain their fears and notions into the student as the student trusts them....this is a Breach of TRUST!

I understand what you're saying. Still, an idea exists that our childhood/parenting is much the same. If you're told all your life one thing is wrong, does it truly make it so? You're told not to (for example) eat with your mouth open. Is this because of what your teacher(parent) learned over the years, or is it truly universally a rude behavior? Teacher, parent, peer, the rules remain the same. Off topic, but an interesting thought.
edit on 27-5-2012 by SoulVisions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

OK...as it applies to this topic...what we are taught over a long period of time...constrains us to what we believe is the right way of doing something.

In this topic...we are struggling with the concept of Robotic Weapons doing the Job by allowing these weapons the choice to decide to kill. Something that has been part of the Human decision making process for Millions of years.

Now it is difficult for us to change something that has been a rule of our existence for so long. But we also know that the effectiveness of something of this advancement is many times greater than our own. Still...we have to put in proper fail safes in order to keep ourselves safe.

I have seen the best and worse in people and I know that just as we spoke about Bullies....there are people who act as such from a position of obtaining great power. I have looked into the eyes of Killers and the only thing they understand is our ability to hold them accountable. By nature they are cowards but in their element...without an outside force to prevent their actions...they will through fear...accumulate a following. It is in our ability to demonstrate that as Bad and as powerful they make others think they are...when we are sent there...it is our job to show their followers that they are LIVING by our Grace and if they wish to continue to live...they must use what technical knowledge they have to improve the standards of living for those who they lead. If not...they no longer retain our grace. On the surface most would say...do away with them...but unfortunately...they are of the few educated enough to run Power Plants and understand the politics of others like them. So it is a Catch 22. One thing that is made clear...our abilities to remove you exist. Split Infinity

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This thread and also the one i posted a while ago Pentagon Looks to Breed Immortal "Synthetic Organisms"here what do you think?
Invisibility cloak 3D
Star Trek style forcefield armour All of this technology yet we still fail to see.

edit on 27-5-2012 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

I feel sorry for you. That was meant to be humorous not to point out your mistake. Then you have to go and defend your party honor and tell us how you know all these famous people and the horrible band Aerosmith that no one cares about with a loud mouth Steven Tyler.

Thats pretty sad, at least you really care about it though. Good luck to you, hopefully you get the recognition you deserve from here on out. Maybe include your credentials in your signature and watch a couple movies so you know whats even going on with my avatar.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I like it when people feel sorry for me. It is as close to Mothering that I think I will ever receive! LOL! You caught me at a time when I had just stubbed my toe after I told someone to move something I KNEW I was going to get hurt on. So I may have been a bit harsh! LOL!

Seriously though...I am what I say I am which is fairy complex and even a little F'ed Up! I can't smoke POT anymore as it brings me back to 1979. I do like to drink a few beers but I drink for effect not taste...and since I am always counting calories as well as being very muscular...it is very hard for me to get drunk...which SUCKS!

But I am glad you got a chuckle out of it! You wanna see a living Robot? Every person of a certain Celebrity status has one or two r even more P.A.'s....PERSONAL ASSISTANTS I have several myself as I need them to help me implement my Families Business Policies. But when I have to take a trip to LA...these people should be called P.S. or PERSONAL SLAVES! How people can treat others like this is beyond me as well as how these people allow themselves to be treated. Later Climbing is a JOKE and no one ever gets anywhere doing the Job of a P.A. or P.S.

I had to work my ass off to get to where I am and I have issue with people who play nasty games with their P.A.'s like see which persons assistant can get them a Coffee from an across town Specialty Coffee House the FASTEST! Now there is a Living Robot! Split Infinity

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Oh...Incidentally...the only reason the ship is sinking is YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN!
Split Infinity

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Oh...Incidentally...the only reason the ship is sinking is YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN!
Split Infinity

I hoped it would be implied

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

AMAZING/INTERESTING
It would seem they SHOULD have these suits present for off world challenges ALREADY, but I guess that would be only if there was actual off EA*RTH world missions of the blk op kind which 1 does not doubt? Still nice to see them sharing more with the general populace. Imagine a Jupiter/Mars/Venus suit

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

On the contrary, it might let us only pick a fight when the cause is worthy. Like the defense of our loved ones.
edit on 29-5-2012 by angrysniper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join