It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whooping cough outbreak confirmed in New Brunswick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca... 12/02/29/ns-whooping-cough-outbreak.html

Dr. Eilish Cleary, the chief medical officer of health, said in a release Wednesday there have been 47 cases of pertussis, or whooping cough, confirmed in the province.

This is quite an uptick from previous years....

In January 2011, Cleary reported there were 14 cases of whooping cough in the Moncton area. In 2009, there were a total of 15 cases province-wide.

Now, I know many people are against vaccination, but this vaccine has been around for decades.

Here is the link to the full article:

news.sympatico.cbc.ca... cough_outbreak_confirmed_in_new_brunswick/74f462e6

The Department of Health says there is an outbreak of whooping cough in New Brunswick. Dr. Eilish Cleary, the chief medical officer of health, said in a release Wednesday there have been 47 cases of pertussis, or whooping cough, confirmed in the province. Most of the affected people are aged nine to 14, she said, and the majority of cases have been reported in the Moncton and Saint John areas. “Because New Brunswick is experiencing a higher number of whooping cough cases than usual. Public Health is monitoring the situation closely and working with health-care professionals and the public to decrease the risk,” Cleary said. “The best way to protect against whooping cough is through immunization which is part of the New Brunswick Routine Immunization Schedule. The schedule includes immunization of children, adolescents and adults.” In January, the highly contagious bacterial infection was confirmed at two schools in the province – Forest Hills Elementary School in Saint John and Riverview Middle School in Riverview. Health officials were encouraging people to get immunized against the disease. Whooping cough is a disease of the lining of the respiratory tract that is caused by the Bordetella Pertussis bacterium. It begins with cold-like symptoms including sneezing, runny nose, low-grade fever and mild cough and worsens over a period of several weeks to include serious coughing spells that often end with a "whoop," Cleary said in the release. Whooping cough is easily transmitted from person to person, mainly through droplets from the nose, mouth and throat of an infected person. Cleary said that whooping cough is most dangerous for babies and young children who have not received all doses of the whooping cough vaccine. Expectant parents and anyone in close contact with babies and young children should ensure that their immunization is up-to-date. In January 2011, Cleary reported there were 14 cases of whooping cough in the Moncton area. In 2009, there were a total of 15 cases province-wide.

edit on 1-3-2012 by Jerisa because: can't get link to work so I put whole article in....

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The link isn't working for me.

I agree with getting vaccinated for some diseases....whooping cough is a good example.
I gon't get the flu shot I think it's a pharmaceutical company conspiracy to infect the population in order to sell more medicine. It's kinda like they poison you then sell you an antidote. Hell they even charge you for the poison!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

here is a great link to some solid honest info on the disease:
www.rch.org.au...

I have opted out of the vaccine for my child as there is no guarantee the vaccine will stop a child from getting pertussis.

The only problem with that choice is that in an outbreak the child must remain home and not go to school or risk becoming infected.

Vaccines have been proven to be so contaminated, if they were really out for the health and well being of individuals they would stop having them made in dangerous sub par locations and keep the poison out which is more of a risk than the disease it is meant to prevent. I just do not like the odds.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

Thanks for the heads up, please stay ontop of this outbreak to keep us informed. Looks like it may be spreading huh?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes, it is....

In my little town we have a few cases. I live about 2 hours from the posted source. We won't make the news so I have no link, just warnings from local parents...

Oh, on a side note, half of the town (literally) is sick with either a flu or a major head cold....It came out of the blue and has hit this community hard. My hubby has the head cold and I should tell you he has been sick maybe 5 times in the 20 plus years we have been together....
edit on 1-3-2012 by Jerisa because: addition

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Interesting. I will call and find out anything if I can.

ALL of my family (Aunt/Uncles/cousins etc) reside in Chipman area, to Monton. Hmmm

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Tell them to stay away from Tim's , half the workers there are sick atm...yeah so now you know where I am. Go into any local store here and they are working even though they are ill...call the school too, you will see how many are out...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I had/have a really bad cough, normally coughtfrom flu lasts about 1 week, its been 3 weeks now, but its calming down. I used to cough continuously, 2nd week, i even saw blood in my Phlegm.

im in Toronto btw.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

my son got this vaccine and he still got whooping cough. so go figure

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jerisa

I'm quite certain my roommate has whooping cough. The problem is each time she goes I the doctor they tell her she has different things... A- newly developed asthma, but she's never been asthmatic. B- acid reflux, this one was the dumbest diagnosis, being as she doesn't have any of the symptoms. C- she's just over thinking her case.
Now why do I believe she has whooping cough? Well she has each symptom down to the T. In fact there have been a few nights where she comes to me and my girlfriends room desperately trying to get oxygen... To the point of having a "fit" gasping for air. The baffling thing is that the doctors seem to avoid acknowledging that she has something different than what they are inclined to thinking. If you YouTube a video of someone with whooping cough she coughs the exact same way...
Anywho I was just wanting to bring this to light, as of now her cough attacks still come around but she has been trying to find ways to lessen the severity. I hope she gets better soon.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by IanPaul

I wish I could help, but I have no human medical training. Has she mentioned whooping cough to her doctor? If so, what was his response?

I hope she is feeling better soon.

top topics

join