It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Self Interest = Life?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I was thinking about plants, animals, and humans all live in a way that promotes the concept of self interest. A plant will grow, adapt, and evolve to find a way to survive, thus promoting the self interest to live. An animal will also respond accordingly in its environment to survive and also take care of its offspring. Humans also live in a way that would show their behavior to be driven by self interest. Whether it be to survive, or to take action to preserve survival through improving health, religion(for afterlife), education, and other various ideas and activities people do.

It seems from my perspective that life itself revolves around the concept of self interest.
The driving force of life as we know it.

What do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think ultimately, no.

Self interest is enough to propagate the survival of an individual, but putting others' interests before your own is enough to propagate the survival of a whole planet.

Survival instincts such as fear are much more likely to occur when individuals are working for themselves to survive. Survival rewards such as love are much more likely to occur when individuals are working cooperatively for each other to survive.
edit on 1-3-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
On an airplane you are told to put your oxygen mask on before helping 'others'.
Do you 'have to survive' if there is no death?
Survival and struggle are concepts humans love. But these concepts destroy love.
edit on 1-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Self interest is all there is.. it's just not the self I believe you are referring to in your OP. Everything is self.. when you recognize that there is nothing outside of this, you will then realize that the self does not exist.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by smithjustinb

On an airplane you are told to put your oxygen mask on before helping 'others'. If you are dead how can you help anyone?

A crashing airplane is a hopeless situation for all. At that point, saving yourself is all you can do.

That's not my point. In times when you aren't in danger, there are those that are. If we ensured the safety and security of all, then we could prosper and knowledge would increase at a faster rate. Efficiency not only increases work/time, but also increases knowledge/time.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

If it is one, who is there to help?
'This' is all there is. Whatever is appearing presently is all there is, 'that' seen, what more can one do?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

If it is one, who is there to help?
'This' is all there is. Whatever is appearing presently is all there is, 'that' seen, what more can one do?

I don't think I see what you're saying. All I'm saying is that contributing to the survivability of all will also increase your own while also increasing everyones.

Increasing the survivability of your self may increase your own, but no one else will benefit. Everyone dies, so what have you really accomplished. The only way to make a difference is to make a difference that lasts and has an effect on all.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

It is impossible to save the world. The best that can be done is to save yourself from the world. The world is very heavy and it's not 'your' bag. Do not carry the world, overcome it instead.

youtu.be...
edit on 1-3-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

i agree with ur op here ralphy but that is how life is evil always, so not an absolute right so never true nor through
and its end is proven from truth being opposed to truth for lies through powerful freedom inferiority and negative existence, forcing and stealing, both while staying still and inventing how life is sweet to stabilize ur stand still of incomes

when truth is freedom absolute right, then positive freedom is being true not living

practically, double freedom is one life or living sense

but how free can become double in truth?

a free sense cant b another free sense, but a free sense can be objective free sense relatively by realizing it in adding to

so at a certain extent, a free sense can meet truth freedom by realizing it through adds objectively, then since it is truth freedom it would be from double freedom senses as one absolutely true and another absolutely it, so living sense, but then u see the process dont allow to look like a living, since it is through always then absolute objective realisations freedom, when truth freedom or freedom truth sense is above all

life is a lie of nature will freedom for easy opportunist ends, and love is a lie of god free will later in past where she found him sleeping still, im guessing while joking of course

god was needed for conscious existence shape like form intelligent, while god freedom was meaning absolute existence one possessions through his free wills so existence life oness that he justify as being from his love, so his true freedom one is all to him out of what all are guessing love that do not exist but as absolute lie from god freedom being absolute liar for one absolute positive superiority killing truth through negative inferiority intelligence applications realms

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
but i can confirm ur op more shortly

living sense is positive self add to free sense

so it is for who directly mean to add himself through everything and anything seen or real with

true living sense, is positive free sense add from true being sense, so there truth get over the free through adds including it into

which prove how in truth living sense cant be ever self adds

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

so life is always of evil and to

while in truth positive freedom is simply being true

so life never exist in truth

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Isn't putting others first still self interest when you look at the reasons why people do that?

Say you put your family before yourself, if you see your family as part of yourself then it is self interest. Even if you don't see it that way, you can put others ahead of you to look good or seek a reward of a "good feeling" about what you did.

Maybe I'm wrong but it sure seems that the self plays a bigger role than some realize.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ralphy

anytime u mean another it is all about meaning urself, this is all about the choice of being one so the advantage u got from knowing existence positive, and the choice as superior truth, so through respect to facts existence while standing back to ur freedom as positive too to realize objectively

the problem is what everyone including u dont understand what is superior dimension

superior dimension as truth conception is what justify that any is bc of it while nothing touching it

but u lean to believe in depth that superior is what is more the thing, so anything or u is true when he acts to his maximum potential as real

there what justify god and satan totally, i hit another take his place force him to bend and then act as if it is me proving how more i am

the problem is the conception of truth in depth

truth is not the more identity that justify all less, there is no influence of one to another but negatively in limiting reality of one, what is limited by definition is never true nor of

truth is the free fact so nothing that can b limited even in words, it is the free fact that assert possible always more from its fact being existing, now the conception of truth the why, reached from before to know that is due to absolute right of superiority that is clear in void reality how absolute right is always possible to exist, absolute right being of PLUS in absolute terms objective and free plus, there it is absolute right so equal right depending on the plus done or willed

that is why constitutions are what in principle justify countries existence means and wills, it is the geniune truth sense that u cant b but through adds freedom abstractions that obey to superior free rules that can justify all adds objectively

any fact is what it is only so nothing more, but truth is possible add but then out of the fact even if only through in confirming constantly how it is an add really, so absolutely right of fact existence reality

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by absolutely

so life never exist in truth

this is the best post in this thread.

prove it wrong.

You don't need to say a lot with your words as there is no truth to be found in any.
edit on 2-3-2012 by broahes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

bc lies are all and any, so very easy to prove truth by rejecting clearly any

when u get to fact opposition then anything honest is absolutely right

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

let me know when you've rejected all while living..

I'll wait..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

when even nothing is a positive thing since sorted in absolute terms of thing constancy, then what exist has never anything to do with what u reject
keep waiting still for ur eyes shut ends

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

reply to post by broahes

could you believe that the last thought is all of our existence? every concept that you ever had of anything erased. even a concept of no concept is a concept. do you see the concept in that?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes

reply to post by broahes

could you believe that the last thought is all of our existence? every concept that you ever had of anything erased. even a concept of no concept is a concept. do you see the concept in that?

never this is u from easy pick of lies references to ur freedom kind wills

concept cant b but true, bc by definition concept is only for superior justification of all what objectively exist clearly in absolute terms

u prove the evil u r that exclusively mean to justify all and beyond from nothing abused of one will, so u mean to justify darkness on all and everything forever, and only for the abstract pleasure of absolute powers over truth freedom so the pleasure of being abstractly and subjectively truly superior positive one since the only one

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

thought ends at some point, as does everything. do you ever write legible sentences?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join