It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google - didn't take them long

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
After doing a quick research about the ADF and watching some vids on Youtube about the SAS soldier mocking incident (described here --- www.abovetopsecret.com...) i have started to see an influx of Defence Force ads and others. This is going to get annoying real fast. I wonder what other ads are in store for users of Google owned sites/apps.

edit on 1-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

edit on 1-3-2012 by Acronychal because: (no reason given)

Interesting, I havnt notcied any ads. Maybe it is because of all your research?
edit on 1-3-2012 by Acronychal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Acronychal

Possibly, i havn't done some proper research on military related matter for about 2 weeks.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I personally don't use Google because of their nosey policies. I think they're rich enough without having to join in with these corporations for unwanted cookie tracking and ads appearing on your searches that you're not interested in to begin with.

A good alternatve to Google is Startpage, and Gibiru. Neither one of those share your information or avoid your request for privacy, or wish to know your IP.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
or wish to know your IP.

But they do regardless. You simply cannot talk to a server anywhere on the internet that does not know your IP. Unless you actively hide behind a proxy, or some other means. Even then you are still not completely invisible.

Google is relentless in their arrogance. I detest them, I told them in no uncertain terms about their directed advertising while using gmail, and lost all my google accounts. lol. best thing that ever happened.

they don't like being told off for treating their customers as revenue raising machines without any consideration... oooohhh they don't like that one bit

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I've not seen any ads either..

Keep in mind that Google tailors the advertisements based on a number of factors.. Your search history, your location ( based on your IP ), your demographics ( whatever it can ascertain from your search history, or info you provided to google directly ) .. and the context of the page you're viewing where the ad appears..

I tend to see a lot of computer related ads, photography, movie advertisements and plenty of music stuff.. but that's exactly to be expected.. Advertising expense would be wasted if you didn't target it .. you're clearly a target of that ad

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1loserel2
I personally don't use Google because of their nosey policies. I think they're rich enough without having to join in with these corporations for unwanted cookie tracking and ads appearing on your searches that you're not interested in to begin with.

A good alternatve to Google is Startpage, and Gibiru. Neither one of those share your information or avoid your request for privacy, or wish to know your IP.

Welcome to the internet .. You use google whether you like it or not, google adwords, google analytics.. they are virtually everywhere .. you're going to end up in their database unless you have some kind of software that blocks most _javascript and also blocks all known google ip ranges..

They are masters of data collection, they are funded almost entirely by ad revenue which is driven by intelligence they gather on user trends.

Don't forget, google is far more than a search engine . .and their adwords, analytic and various other tenticles reach into all corners of the net... use youtube? you're using google..
edit on 3/1/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I agree. I just thought it was quite weird that the new Google policy started in Aus at 7:00 PM. I researched and watched some vids on the Defence Force, then the ads are trying to shove "Join the ADF" ads down my throat. Never happened like this before. Like i have noticed targeted ads, but not this prevelent. You think it's the new policy???

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

I agree. I just thought it was quite weird that the new Google policy started in Aus at 7:00 PM. I researched and watched some vids on the Defence Force, then the ads are trying to shove "Join the ADF" ads down my throat. Never happened like this before. Like i have noticed targeted ads, but not this prevelent. You think it's the new policy???

The new google policy basically allowed google to share it's data from youtube with google search and vice versa, whereas it probably could before as well but it had to have separate policy updates per service.. I for one think combining all of there services under one policy is the right move.. I don't want to have to track multiple policies.. now it's just a Google policy, which covers all child services they offer..

You may be seeing new ads now because Google can easily use data about your youtube viewing, gmail patterns and search history all together to target ads .. I believe the way it worked before is that your youtube habits dictated your youtube ads, search habits dictated search ads .. etc

Best thing you could do really is log out of google before browsing, or use a vpn if you're worried .. I'm not worried

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah, i'm not worried, i just think it will get annoying. I have never seen it this prevelent though, and the policy kicked in like 5 hours ago. I mean i searched about the ADF in the past, both on Youtube and Google and never got heaps of ads like i am now.

I must say, it is happening most on ATS.

new topics

top topics

join