It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman shot by Raoul Moat dies alone.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

As a quick recap, 2 years ago a gunman went on a rampage, shooting people he probably knew as well as those he did not. Eventually, cornered by the police, he died.

One of those shot was PC David Rathband who lost sight in both eyes as a result.

Since then the PC had become prominent in charity and helping others injured. In fact he came to the attention of the UK PM, who had this to say about PC David Rathband. "I feel desperately sorry for his family,"

It appears that through his entries on various websites that others became worried by what he was saying and tried to alert various well known people and the authorities, but without success apparently.

My question is, this man was obviously having problems, but nobody seemed to be available to help, just what is wrong with society when this sort of thing can happen?

From my own understanding, I can appreciate the problems of stopping a suicide attempt, but there are a lot of things that can be tried. The most important being increasing a feeling of worth, this cost little, takes little and can be performed by almost anyone.

Have we really advanced from the animal?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Such a tragic tragic story..The way it has all been played out by media is sad.

Apparently he was on holiday in Australia a couple of days ago, enjoying the sunshine..& it was reported that his marriage had ended before he landed back in the UK.

Again, such a tragic story..

R.I.P PC David Rathband.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

My question is, this man was obviously having problems, but nobody seemed to be available to help, just what is wrong with society when this sort of thing can happen?

Well there obviously was help there for him but unfortunately It's not always going to be enough.

I can't imagine what this poor guy was going through. Knowing that your life has changed forever and for the worse must be just such a horrible thing to try and comprehend, I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it. To be blinded in such a horrible way and then to get to a stage where your marriage is also over.. Jeez.

Such a shame to see his life end. I saw it on the news this morning and just felt devastated for him and his family. Must be hell right now.

For anyone interested here's another article on his unfortunate suicide which I found which explains this story a bit more, and it also has to be said that it also looks at what an inspiration this person became when he was alive: PC blinded by Raoul Moat laps up Australian sun just days before tweeting 'RIP PC Rathband' and hanging himself
edit on 1-3-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This really is terribly sad. I tend to listen to five live in the mornings and they had been following his recovery from the shooting from very early on. They first spoke to him from his hospital bed just days after the shooting. The guy was extremely inspirational and brave.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I was very sad to read that on the news this morning. Poor man was suffering even while he had that brave face on. I feel for his poor wife too. They recently split up and it's guaranteed the trolls will be out in force looking for someone else to blame. Let's not all forget it was Raul Moat who caused it all.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I feel for his poor wife too. They recently split up and it's guaranteed the trolls will be out in force looking for someone else to blame. Let's not all forget it was Raul Moat who caused it all.

You're certainly right there you know.

When I first heard that his wife left him I immediately blamed her for his recent suicide to be completely honest because, well, that appears to be what pushed him over the edge here but no, I think that's wrong of me. Thing's were tough for him but they were also tough for her as well and maybe she just felt like it was time to move on - That's her right I suppose. If thing's aren't working out they aren't working out. Sad but it happens, and even in these very tough situations.

The person who really should be blamed here is, as you said, Raoul Moat. His actions sparked these entire series of events and even years after he shot PC Rathband as well as the other victims and even as well as himself.. life's are still being destroyed by him. What a true scumbag, and he's the one to blame here.

Wigit, thanks for writing that up.. it gave me something to think about.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Nice comments guy's, blame of course does not help, I guess RM who started all this was in some sort of pain as well.

The shame is, that even with the fantastic service by the Samaritans these problems are allowed to grow to such proportions that no answers come to be found to the problem.

The thought of being blind or loosing mobility is not something I could cope with.

I know money etc can not solve some problems, but with NHS cut backs and bankers mega bonuses, it seems all so wrong, there needs to be a re-balance somewhere.

One final, side track, the recent announcement that housing benefit could be reduced if bedrooms are not occupied seems a further downward trend. (Is the Mansion tax still going forward?)

RA. Liked your work on the Kennedy killing.

edit on 1-3-2012 by dowot because: Adding salute to RA.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Perhaps this can stand as a testimonial to the undeniable proof that law enforcement is populated by mere mortals. None of us is immune from the pressures of life.

May he find the peace he deserves.

And I pray that someone, somewhere within his community learns enough to prevent such a tragedy from happening again.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Well in today's society no one believes in "till death do us part" anymore. When the road gets rough they abandon the person who made the road rough for them.

I blame this on the degradation of religious morality in favor the secularist outlook.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Well in today's society no one believes in "till death do us part" anymore. When the road gets rough they abandon the person who made the road rough for them.

Oh please..... You were a fly on the wall were you that you sit in judgement? You are not to know how what happened affected either of them. You don't know what lead to the split or the reasons for it, whether it was mutual, whether it was him or whether it was her. If there is any justice in this life, your karma just went down 10 points for that ignorant comment.

top topics

join