It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super - Sized Fleas sucked on Dinosaurs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Scientists discovered these fossils of huge fleas, from 150 million years ago. They are about 2cm in length, that is almost an inch!
The fossils was discovered in China, and gives us an interesting look at them.

Apparently, these fleas could not jump as the ones we know today. Their hind legs does not have the same setup as todays fleas. This means they had to stalk their prey, ambush them, and then get on them, to suck their blood.

What those hosts were is another question. “The mouthparts are certainly overkill for piercing the hides of early mammals and birds,” says Engel. “It really appears as though they were specialized for working their way into some heavy hides, such as those on dinosaurs.”

Article

Phew, so glad these guys are not around today anymore!

vvv
edit on 1-3-2012 by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 1/3/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
They're revolting but might be easier to catch than the ones we get today. I've a few cats and if they catch fleas I know I'm in trouble and it costs a fortune getting rid of them. And there's nothing itchier than a flea bite. If you have a pet and see it scratching, even once, get it treated beefore all hell breaks loose.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Yep if you see just 1 flea, hurry and kill them ASAP, they breed like no other!

It's also torture for cats, we know how itchy it is, but they are smaller than us and they cut the spots when they scratch with their nails causing them to bleed and some cats are more alergic than other cats. For example one of my cats loses fur on her lower back if she gets fleas.

I hate to kill things but fleas are a bitch.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Sorry, didn't read the link....yet.

Is that an earwig next to the flea? It has the arse-parts of an earwig.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I do believe that is another flea mate.

They found different size fossils ranging from 8mm to about 21mm.

vvv

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

The smaller critter on the right has oversized 'cerci', like the arse-pincers found on earwigs. It looks like an entirely different species than the flea on the left.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You might be right, and they do look strikingly similar. However, i can only go on what the article states.

vvv

new topics

top topics

join