It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian SAS Hero Mocked on Talk Show!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

This is one of the most disgusting things i have ever seen!

These clueless Journalists have mocked the highest decorated soldier currently serving in the ADF. I just can't comprehend what goes through these people's minds. it is very saddening.

For those who want to know what he got the VC for:

The patrol commenced an attack on the position but after getting within 40 metres were prevented from going further by heavy and sustained fire.

As Cpl Roberts-Smith headed toward a small building that provided some cover, he saw an insurgent ready to engage his patrol so instantly shot him dead at point-blank range.

He then showed his own position to the insurgent machine gunners to draw fire away from his patrol, enabling his patrol commander to throw a grenade and silence one of the guns.

"Seizing the advantage, and demonstrating extreme devotion to duty and the most conspicuous gallantry, Corporal Roberts-Smith, with a total disregard for his own safety, stormed the enemy position, killing the two remaining machine gunners," the citation reads.

Cpl Roberts-Smith went on to attack other positions and he and another patrol member killed more insurgents as his troop, no longer pinned down, cleared the village of Taliban.

The citation says the decisive engagement caused the Taliban to retreat from the Shah Wali Kot district
ex]

www.heraldsun.com.au...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Wow, what were they thinking?

How did they think that this was OK and that they would get away with this? Such idiots.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
YAWN....
This ...soldier is more than tough enough that some words made by the media will not hurt him I'm sure.
My best guess is were looking at something else, maybe free advertising for the corporation...err military.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I don´t think the feelings of this SAS soldier are the big concern here.

The fact that these people have no sense of honor and are displaying that on tv, is.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I agree that he is more than tough enough. He knows that the Australian public didn't like the comments stated by the journalists.

I am not sure if it was a 'free advertisement' for the military. A lot of servicemen and women were outraged by these comments. I am too. I can't believe how disrespectful they were.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I saw this and thought innitially - how can that woman say such things - you need intelligence to be in the army, and all she does for a living is talk socially - what any woman does anyway (don't mean that in a sexist way, just what she does is nothing special) and george negus is an old coot who should not be giving his opinion on national tv, about anything. He comes out with such rubbish, random and senile comments. I was glad to see however that the soldier being talked about did not take it to heart stating that he understands it wasnt to offend. Reguardless of how childish the remarks were, or if they were malicious, we should have more respect for anyone who fights for our country (reguardless of your stance on war) - coming from an australian.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

Ok so if you make yourself out to be an idiot on tv, who is injured?
Certainly not the soldier, he has shown his quality.
I do find it hard myself to brand anyone with the title of hero who is not fighting on their home soil, that just seems a bit ....puppymill to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Acronychal

Oh definitely mate! I couldn't believe it. Every soldier has intelligence, but for these people to say it about an SAS soldier is just ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The USA brandishes their soldiers as heros do they not?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Acronychal

Ummm, the long standing joke here in the US is the oxymoron Military Intelligence.
Irony is, something is not funny unless it is true.
There is a reason why they like soldiers young.
The guy did join the corporation, of course he did well under pressure according to someones report but,...
If the corporation had not sent him into a bad situation, there would be no hero.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

US does, but I have not seen a true hero since I guess the civil war here in the US.
Like I said, I find it hard to brand anyone hero who is not fighting on their home soil.
I could brand a mentor or a doctor/nurse a coach as a hero, they knew they were doing the right thing to start.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Mate, he's in the SAS.

Bad situations is all they're put in.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I never called him a hero, I called him a soldier. And yes I'm well aware of american intelligence (no pun intended), but i was not reffering to that. This is an SAS soldier, and in order to be one you need high intelligence. Also if you have seen the people that made the comments on tv before, or seen any of 'the circle' (their show) you will understand why I have little respect for them or their comments. Coorpiration? I think you should be saying "If america hadn't created a bad situation, there'd be no hero".
edit on 1-3-2012 by Acronychal because: changed word

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

The more the coalition troops defeat the Taliban over there, the less likely that terrorist attacks will occur. So, he is a hero, regardless of whether or not he is fighting on home soil. He is fighting on foreign soil, to protect home soil. That makes him a hero. Furthermore, he saved his mates, isn't that heroic enough?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Look I am Australian I don't particularly think what she said was all that offensive. People seem to be way too uptight imo, they can't handle a little joke.

He is fighting on foreign soil, to protect home soil. That makes him a hero.
Yes... that really makes him a hero, fighting in foreign lands where we aren't welcome and shouldn't be... and are mostly doing it because we like kissing the ass of other countries such as the United States.

Furthermore, he saved his mates, isn't that heroic enough?
He saved his mates because they were being fired upon. I'm sure the guys they were firing at were also attempting to "save their mates". Each group was firing at each other because their leaders told them the other group was a threat.

Sorry... I just don't eat up the war propaganda like so many seem to do. All I see is needless death and destruction and a business built around that. Flame away soldiers...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Australia shouldn't be kissing anyone's arse, even though we do

That being said however, he is very much a hero. He charged at a hail of gunfire to disable machine gun posts. He has stated he would be happy to give his life for Australia. Do you see that as heroic? I do. Would you give your life for Australia?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I think he means that western armies actually have no business being there, and therefore it could not be considered heroic, since they are not defending their home country.

I bet that to his team members that were under fire he definately is a hero.

I don´t know, I would call him exceptionally brave, hero, maybe not.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

A hero is described as such:

"1.A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities."

I would say that Corporal Roberts-Smith definitely has these qualities and much more. In my books, he is a hero.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

He has stated he would be happy to give his life for Australia. Do you see that as heroic? I do.
It depends on the reason for giving my life. As it is, no I would not give my life for a nonsensical fight that we shouldn't even be involved in. Furthermore, I would not sacrifice my own life in an effort to take other human lives, no matter who ordered me to do so. You see, when I refuse to offer myself as a tool of death the Government has one less asset to utilize in the game of war. If all Humans were to take this stance there would be no mass scale wars, simply small groups of rouge men that could be dealt with easily. Only if a real threat of that nature was to present its self upon our shores, then I may consider taking action. However, that is extremely unlikely to happen if we stop going around and pissing other people off. You need to remember that we are all simply Humans, most of us don't want to kill or be killed, it's our leaders who typically want such a thing, and they propagandize their own citizens to sacrifice their self for such "noble causes". We will never live in a peaceful world until we understand the true nature and purpose of war. Supporting war is supporting nothing less than mass murder.

Anthem for Doomed Youth

What passing-bells for these who die as cattle?
Only the monstrous anger of the guns.
Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle
Can patter out their hasty orisons.
No mockeries for them; no prayers nor bells,
Nor any voice of mourning save the choirs, --
The shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells;
And bugles calling for them from sad shires.

What candles may be held to speed them all?
Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes
Shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes.
The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall;
Their flowers the tenderness of patient minds,
And each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds.

~ Wilfred Owen, soldier of WWI

edit on 1-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Huh... I heard about this, but .. Journalists?

They're talk show hosts.. lol

Negus is a retard at the best of times now he's a show pony for channel 10. he rekons he couldnt even give the guy an apology as the guy was adamant there was no requirement for one.

Out of all of this, Cpl Roberts-Smith is the only one who has come away with his decency intact. Yumi, nothing more than a little girl playing on the TV and the rest of the circle... Journalists???

Best they come to that is writing "Dear diary, today I was on the TV" when they get home...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join