It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How a billionaire fills gas tank for $1 a gallon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by brice
If you park in an underground parking stall there is probably rules preventing LPG vehicles from parking there.

In Portugal they cannot park on underground (and I think also closed) parks.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
Petrol is also heavier than air and IF the tank has a leak it will tend to form "puddles or lakes along floors and along the ground".

I think the problem is that while gasoline evaporates and rises in the air, LPG vapour is heavier than air, so it will remain close to the ground, and while we can see a puddle on the ground we cannot see a 1 metre high (for example) cloud of vapour filling an underground park.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Remember this thread is about natural gas. Natural gas is not the same as propane gas or LPG. LPG is propane. Natural gas is primarily methane. How similar are they?

reply to post by ChaoticOrder

From what I understand, LPG is cheaper in Australia primarily because it is taxed less.

edit on 1/3/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/3/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My 02 A4 3.0 V6 ran on LPG, no problems at all, nice and cheap to fill up for such a thirsty car!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Pickens is the guy who used to have all these ads on TV in mid 2000s regarding the wind energy farms. Guess what happened to that idea? Now he has come up with natural gas. This idea also needs to be left with technicals, if there is value to it, then market will catch up and device something.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You guys don't seem to be getting that LPG (liquid PETROLEUM gas) and CNG (compressed natural gas) are two different things. Of course, along with crude oil, they all come out of the same well, and all profit the same people. Duh.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
# natural gas. We have the technology to replace all these worthless gases with pure electrically ran vehicles. Nobody fall for this natural gas/hydrogen bull#, none of it is true and we don't need it.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Originally posted by C0bzz
Remember this thread is about natural gas. Natural gas is not the same as propane gas or LPG. LPG is propane. Natural gas is primarily methane. How similar are they?
Hmmm good point. So what type of vehicle does he use to fill up his car with natural gas from his home? A CNG car I guess?

reply to post by CaptChaos

Originally posted by CaptChaos
You guys don't seem to be getting that LPG (liquid PETROLEUM gas) and CNG (compressed natural gas) are two different things.
Actually LPG means liquid propane gas.
edit on 1-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Damn right! I hate that guy. You can FFW to 11:00 for the whole story but for the T. Boone Pickens 12:30. His quote is just the skumiest. He's a real peice of "snip".

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Ok, I meant Natural Gas then.

Others threw in LPG and that threw me off.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't see why none of these manufacturers have picked up the GEET device. Forget running your vehicle on natural gas, run it on 10% anything combustible, and 90% water. Get three times your mileage, and clean emissions.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

thanks for that video link
It was very interesting

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by kwakakev

Originally posted by kwakakev
Gas still has its problems, especially if you live in an area where fracking is taking place. By increasing the demand for gas it does increase the pressure for more fracking to take place.
And when an increased demand for oil occurs things like the deepwater disaster happen.
edit on 1-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

And Iraq... With such pressures on energy demands it is concerning how solar cells with greater than 20% efficiency are getting locked up in national security. There is also a rise in many other technologies that fail the patent process and get deemed 'not for public consumption'. There quite possibly are some good reasons for this influence on technology progression, but there also appears to be some conflicts in defining the national interest.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Americans don't have LPG cars?!

ROFL.

Seriously, Americans, you really do need to have your country renamed to New Mordor.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Natural gas is not a sustainable energy alternative as of yet, as someone mentioned above the current way fracking is being done is very harmful to the environment. If we put some standards and controls on it maybe it could be a better alternative. But these companies are ruining our world which makes the practice unsustainable....please remember this when you hear American presdiential candidates talking about opening up land for getting energy at home or abroad.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
LGP (Liquefied Petroleum or liquid propane gas) was at 1 point pretty populair in my country (Holland). But somehow it lost interest. It's also expensive to build in a LPG tank and you get less space of course in the back of your car.

Volvo was making (maybe other brands as well) LGP tanks build in from the factory.
Anyways it's weird that it didnt become more populair but the opposite.

Maybe because the government stimulates small cars which can drive 25km with 1 litre petrol or diesel.
And as said today you don't see brands which makes LPG cars from the factory so if you buy small car costing only 10.000 euro, you don't want to pay 1.500 euro for an LGP tank.

Oh yea we pay like 1.88 euro for 1 litre petrol now! that's about I think 9.6 dollars for 1 gallon?
edit on 2-3-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2012 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
i'll never understand why natural gas as a automotive fuel never took a stronger hold. i remember as a kid, my aunt worked for a gas company as a sales person, and they equipped her car and my uncle's truck to run on natural gas and gave them free fuel. this was back in 1973 during the oil crisis, and she would go around and demonstrate the the product. i guess that the car she had didn't do much to impress the potential customers to much, it was a 70 chevy nova, and she drove that car for almost 20 years. the main reason why they converted it, was to show people that they didn't need to depend on oil. she never had a problem filling her tank. even after she went into a different line of work, she went to the gas company once a week and filled up. my uncle's truck got lost to time though, no one remembers what happened to it. she used to laugh when she would talk about people she showed her car to, and most people always said natural gas is for cooking and heating your home. she said about the only customers that were interested in the tech were cities who had fleet vehicles, and some mfg plants that had big equipment that ran off gasoline.

and i myself as a industrial electrician, have seen many different types of equipment that use internal combustion engines, use ones that run on natural gas. from generators, pumps, forklifts, welders, work vehicles and passenger vehicles. the technology is proven, it is cleaner, and it's cheaper. the extraction process may need to be refined some, but i would dare say that it is a start to greener world, and that seems to be the band wagon everybody seems to be jumping on.

edit on 2-3-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

You're welcome. I don't know how true all of it is but even if half of that is true...hand basket, hell....you know!!
Sometimes I wish I didn't know all the things I know. But hey, if it helps educate, it can't be bad right.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Plugin
Volvo was making (maybe other brands as well) LGP tanks build in from the factory.

Its not weird at all. Why should it be wierd? Its really simple:

- The only organization big enough to make an infrastructure for new fuel, doesnt really care (ie the goverment).
- The automobile companies consider it "super premium eco-friendly (TM)" and make you pay out of your arse to buy the "enviromentally friendly" cars.

And at the end of the day, gas is just another stupid dead end in the evolution of fuel - much like wind power and other "clean" energy sources. We know how make safe, clean and effective nuclear electric power and we know how to create advanced batteries strong enough to power cars for hundreds upon hundreds of miles while recharging in the blink of an eye.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Originally posted by Plugin

Its not weird at all. Why should it be wierd? Its really simple:

- The only organization big enough to make an infrastructure for new fuel, doesnt really care (ie the goverment).
- The automobile companies consider it "super premium eco-friendly (TM)" and make you pay out of your arse to buy the "enviromentally friendly" cars.

And at the end of the day, gas is just another stupid dead end in the evolution of fuel - much like wind power and other "clean" energy sources. We know how make safe, clean and effective nuclear electric power and we know how to create advanced batteries strong enough to power cars for hundreds upon hundreds of miles while recharging in the blink of an eye.

Well there is already an infrastructure basicly, almost every tankstation had or still have LPG as option. But yes the government should do more and so the automobile companies, although the latter just don't care, they care about making money.
It's kinda stupid as I said because they can make light bulbs that can last way way longer, but yea you don't make money with that.
So where the goal is ''making more money'', you right.. then LPG isn't great for the government or the automobile sector.
It's just sad yes how we could have a much better civilisation, wich is for example much environmentally friendly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join