It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm the Unforgiven

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I've been struggling with some issues lately. Actually, it seems like always. I know it seems like an unlikely place to go for something to lean on, but the Metallica trilogy of the Unforgiven is surprisingly appropriate for me. And it fits. All of it. From blaming the world, to blaming relationships, or lack there of...depending on circumstances. Finally...our subject in the songs realizes something. He learns the true source of what his life's problems are or have been.

Here is the Unforgiven trilogy. I firmly believe these songs are related. If not intentionally when written, then possibly subconsciously. But... I also can see a definitive relationship between the "hero" or antihero...however you want to look at it, and myself. Maybe when I point them out, others might see similarities to themselves in these songs too. This thread isn't to hate on Metallica. If you wanna hate, then go here. I'm just looking for an excuse to post more Load and Reload! Lets discuss The Unforgiven's.

The Unforgiven

Unforgiven II

The Unforgiven III

Now...here's my take on these songs. The Unforgiven. The narrator feels wronged. And he is blaming the world in #1. The world; "the man," the PTB. Whatever it is, the guy next door is the problem. It's certainly not the narrator who is at fault.

They dedicate their lives
To running all of his
He tries to please them all
This bitter man he is
Throughout his life the same
He's battled constantly
This fight he cannot win
A tired man they see no longer cares
The old man then prepares
To die regretfully
That old man here is me

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never be
Never see
Won't see what might have been

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never free
Never me
So I dub thee unforgiven

Unforgiven 2. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Lay beside me, tell me what they've done
Speak the words I want to hear, to make my demons run
The door is locked now but it's opened if you're true
If you can understand the me, then I can understand the you

Lay beside me, under wicked skies
Through black of day, dark of night, we share this paralyze
The door cracks open but there's no sun shining through
Black heart scarring darker still, but there's no sun shining through

No, there's no sun shining through
No, there's no sun shining

What I've felt, what I've known
Turn the pages, turn the stone
Behind the door, should I open it for you?

Sick and tired, I stand alone
Could you be there, 'cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven, too?

Come beside me, this won't hurt, I swear
She loves me not, she loves me still, but she'll never love again
She lay beside me but she'll be there when I'm gone
Black heart scarring darker still, yes, she'll be there when I'm gone
Yes, she'll be there when I'm gone
Dead sure she'll be there

Turn the pages, turn to stone
Behind the door, should I open it for you?

Metallica.com for the all lyrics posted.
That's not all of the lyrics, but enough to get the gist of the song I think without bogging the thread down with walls of text.

Now idk exactly who he is talking to. But it seems like a female to me. A female who has had similar experiences in her life like the narrator has had in his. They share intimate feelings. They share intimacy in general. But is she the one to take away the "pain" from all of the years? I think these songs are definitely related. She might be. But if she is only there briefly. If she doesn't stay, then she is unforgiven too.

Could you be there, 'cause I'm the one who waits for you
Or are you unforgiven, too?

We never learn if she stays or not. But I get the feeling she left. She became unforgiven too.

Now. # 3. Possibly my favorite.
The author has blamed the world for his troubles. Then he blamed a woman...or women. Finally, he has come to terms with reality.

How could he know this new dawn's light
Would change his life forever?
Set sail to sea, but pulled off course
By the light of golden treasure

Was he the one causing pain
With his careless dreaming?
Been afraid, always afraid,
Of the things he's feeling

He could just be gone
He would just sail on
He'll just sail on

How can I be lost, if I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold,
How come it's got so cold?

How can I be lost? In remembrance I relive
And how can I blame you,
When it's me I can't forgive?

Suddenly our narrator has had something happen. Some potential major change in his life. He was going along with his life....then suddenly, and without warning, something came along and took his life off course. We don't know where he was headed. We aren't sure he even knows. But something got him off track again.
Maybe opened his eyes to his reality.

Whatever happened, he realizes finally, the problem was always with him. If you're pulled off course by "golden treasure" then that's no ones fault but yours. There is no underlying meaning for anyone who actually knows me here with this. It's just 3 songs I like, and can relate to. Very closely.

Maybe others can too. And maybe we can all realize, if we have issues, with ourselves, with our relationships, with the world, others, or whatever, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

I used to play the first relentlessly ......

The old man then prepares To die regretfully That old man here is me

Always scared the crap out of me,.... to never have a voice ..and never have a way .Hopeless....and yet still fighting . Star and flag .....

edit on 1-3-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

Yeah...I know the feeling. Sometimes having that part scare you though is the only way to keep fighting through it. Glad you have...or are keeping the fight going to get your voice out.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Music helped me much through hard times ....this song in particular many times ..just because it expressed exactly how I felt .(and played out some fears). I feel sorry for today's youth because there isn't much popular music these days that actually talk about anything besides sex, money ...and partying....... Lady Gaga claims to be the role model of today's "alienated youth" ...

That's very disgusting .

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yeah, music's helped me a lot over the years. Mostly Korn stuff cause Jon Davis sings about the same thoughts, feelings and experiences I've had but the Unforgiven trilogy has also helped too.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
Yeah, music's helped me a lot over the years. Mostly Korn stuff cause Jon Davis sings about the same thoughts, feelings and experiences I've had but the Unforgiven trilogy has also helped too.

Yeah. I use them too to listen to to get over "issues." I honestly thought my wife was gonna divorce me on the spot one day when she got into my car to drive and I had Right Now on a CD on and turned up very loud!

You open your mouth again
I swear I'm gonna break it
You open your mouth again
Oh, God I cannot take it

Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll bleep you up
(repeat over and over.....lol)

Yeah..that one works for me at times...lol. But didn't think I'd get away with posting that song on here!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
metallica remind's me of being a teenager.

new topics

top topics

join