It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lesbian Woman Denied Communion at Mother's Funeral

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

That is kind of the point i was making - they may claim it is sinful and therefore deny communion but according to the bible, the font of all knowledge for Christians (including Catholics), all sin is the same and therefore by definition they are going against the teachings of their own Holy book.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Dear Flavian,

Hi, again. Would you please do me a favor and point me toward the research you've just completed? I was under the impression that homosexuality, itself, was not a sin, just the acting on it. And when I checked the Catechism (published in the last 15 years) mortal sins were still alive and kicking. Or, by "mortal sin" do you mean one that cannot be forgiven?

I'd like to get caught up on the news, but hadn't heard about this. Help me out?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Does a Catholic priest have the right to deny communion to a lesbian woman at her mother's funeral?

Yes. According to their religion, a Catholic priest has the right to deny communion to anyone who is in mortal sin .. if he knows them to be in mortal sin. Engaging in homosexual acts is a mortal sin according to the church.

Catholic Catechism - Holy Communion

Catholic Answers - who may receive Holy Communion

To receive Communion worthily, you must be in a state of grace, have made a good confession since your last mortal sin, believe in transubstantiation, observe the Eucharistic fast, and, finally, not be under an ecclesiastical censure such as excommunication.

First, you must be in a state of grace. "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28). This is an absolute requirement which can never be dispensed. To receive the Eucharist without sanctifying grace in your soul profanes the Eucharist in the most grievous manner.

A mortal sin is any sin whose matter is grave and which has been committed willfully and with knowledge of its seriousness. Grave matter includes, but is not limited to, murder, receiving or participating in an abortion, homosexual acts, having sexual intercourse outside of marriage or in an invalid marriage, and deliberately engaging in impure thoughts (Matt. 5:28–29). Scripture contains lists of mortal sins (for example, 1 Cor. 6:9–10 and Gal. 5:19–21). For further information on what constitutes a mortal sin, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks.
The priest followed the rules according to their faith.
The lesbian woman was outside of communion with the church.
Therefore, she had excommunicated herself.
Receiving holy communion in the church means that the person agrees with the church.
Obviously the woman doesn't. So really, she shouldn't care. And neither should we.

Side note - it isn't being homosexual that the church sees as a sin.
It's the actual act of homosexuality.

Originally posted by blamethegreys
Aren't we to love the sinner?

According to his beliefs, he was. According to the church (see the links) it is a grave sin to receive holy communion while in a state of mortal sin. Therefore, by him withholding holy communion, he believes he stopped another sin from piling on top of the sin she was already in. It is another mortal sin to take communion while in a state of mortal sin according to the Catholic church. So as far as he's concerned .. it was compassionate.
edit on 3/1/2012 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So as far as he's concerned .. it was compassionate.

That is the way of thinking of despots. Of psychopaths. Of religious nutjobs. It is not a sane way to think, let alone to follow such religiotards and their claims or even try and find some support for their claims because, via via they support your cause. WINK WINK.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

The one thing that upsets me is why didn't the priest
tell her before the service instead of during? I am sure
there were other sinners attending the service who received
the communion.
When I attended the Baptist church and we would have communion.
The pastor would remind the congregation to pray before taking the
communion.This decision was left to the member,not the pastor.Your
relationship to the Lord is between you and Him not a third party.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by InfoKartel

I don't understand your post, on the surface it seems to be mere name-calling, but you must have had a better idea than that. Please let me know what it was.

I don't find the idea of the priest being compassionate by causing pain to be completely unreasonable. Many medical treatments cause short term pain to bring long term benefits. School is also often short term pain for the longer term benefit of having knowledge.

I think it could be argued that the priest was imposing short term pain to bring long term healing and knowledge.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I think it was a terrible thing to do, especially at her own mother's funeral.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I don't understand your post, on the surface it seems to be mere name-calling, but you must have had a better idea than that. Please let me know what it was.

Name-calling? Only appropriately. I can't call the animal by its name?

I don't find the idea of the priest being compassionate by causing pain to be completely unreasonable.

You are not compassionate if you cause PAIN. Look, the woman's mother passed away. She was there to hold a speech. The priest decides to make a big scene out of it, to the point of even leaving while the woman speaks. Because he represents the Catholic church - or because he has issues? Maybe both(this one has my vote).

Well pardon my french but what the bleep gives him the right to do such a thing? The Catholic church? And what authority do they have to claim ownership over someones faith?

Many medical treatments cause short term pain to bring long term benefits. School is also often short term pain for the longer term benefit of having knowledge.

Alright mr. I don't know how to use analogies. Those that you pointed out have very concrete evidence to back them up. What backs up the Catholic Church? Faith? Money? I dare you to answer this question with a free mind.

I think it could be argued that the priest was imposing short term pain to bring long term healing and knowledge.

...no,

1- he was imposing it to feel self important, like most Catholics(seriously, they are disturbing people).
2- and the healing and knowledge...what kind of healing? What kind of knowledge? According to him, correct? Well that is exactly how despots reason: "According to me this would be better for you, regardless of how you yourself think or feel about this".

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Dear mamabeth,

You're really very correct, that's why I wish I knew more about the situation. The key question for me is how did the priest know about her homosexual activities? Had she been a local crusader, frequently in the news, well known about town, with no intention to ever change her behavior? That's one extreme, but if that were the case then I see no reason why she should have received Catholic Communion.

This decision was left to the member,not the pastor.Your relationship to the Lord is between you and Him not a third party.
You're quite right, normally it is. But did she tell the priest without any interest in repentance? Did the priest find out by her obvious public behavior? Some how, she made it the priest's business.

And, as I mentioned above, the priest does tell everyone, before Communion, that if they are not in full union with the Church they should come up and ask only for a blessing.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   

And, as I mentioned above, the priest does tell everyone, before Communion, that if they are not in full union with the Church they should come up and ask only for a blessing.

Full grown adults believe that bull?!!! No wonder Catholics are so screwed up. Oh boy, religion...religion...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

The fact Catholics ( I was one for 48 yrs.) believe that only a priest can intercede for the forgiveness of ones sins, is in fact a sin .

When Christ died on the cross and the vail of the temple rent from top to bottom leading to Gods chamber,holding his mercy seat the arc of the covenant. This denoted that priests were no longer required for the intercession of sin and that Jesus became and is our one mediator between us and God.

This woman that happens to be a lesbian very well could of prayed for absolution to Jesus for the forgiveness of her sins and was in fact in a state of grace worthy of the sacrament of communion .

The bible does frown upon homosexual activity but then again we as Christians are not to judge ANYONE OR ANYTHING . Jesus said we should forgive 70 times 7 if necessary.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

You do realize that Jesus would in fact accept this woman with open arms but she would have to repent truly , the fact that homosexual behavior is a sin does not change when Jesus arrives and it is a sin today but that does not mean their is not forgiveness for it, but for one to believe that it is acceptable behavior in the eyes of God , that person would be severely delusional.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Yes she re-married, to my dad, who brought up that knob head's three kids as his own and remains to this day a loving and supportive husband and father.

So screw Catholisism for treating my mum like she's done something wrong. She'll always feel Catholic inside, but the look on her face at my uncle's funeral when everyone else went to take communion was heartbreaking.

Religion is supposed to be about love and tolerance, turning the other cheek, and being the good samaritan. Short of buddhism, they are all hypocritical.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Some good info there.

One of them is "having sexual intercourse outside of marriage". Reminds me of the story my mum told when she was about 13 and caught the priest and his maid in the act
They don't always practice what they preach.

Whats not so funny though is that the same night the same priest tried to feel her up ,and when she told her dad, he beat her for saying bad things about the priest.

Ah Catholisism. Good Lesbians not allowed, corrupt priests welcome.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Azadok

First off, it is an abomination to claim what is and what is not a sin. How can you know what a sin is if you are not innocent yourself? You can't. Second, you religious folk decided what sin was in the first place when you wrote it down. A way to divide the people against themselves so your priests would live with all the wealth and corruption they wanted, but they could kill a poor person for the same things or just random accusations, such as accusing the clery of hypocracy.

Well, it's 2012 now and the digits are slowly coming in. Religiotards are a thing of the past and the free humans of today will make sure of it by exposing your words as nothing but hypocracy, jealousy, greed, sense of superiority, racism, sexism...all the things you claim to see in others.
edit on 1-3-2012 by InfoKartel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 1/3/2012 by Britx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Oh when I was 15 I was denied a packet of cigarettes by a shop
These things happen...

But To added to this I was baptized in a Anglican church and went to a catholic school + church(short walk)

I always wanted to receive the bread but the school new I wasn't catholic and made all the people sit.

Now that's embarrassing while the others are up their getting bread.
edit on 1-3-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I did not claim it to be a sin God himself did , the bible and Gods rule speaks for itself . I try my best to live by Gods law which I find difficult being in the flesh .

I do not judge anyone because that is not my job and when I opine on something,it is, at least I hope it is never in judgement but just a reflection of our creators law .

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

TextWell, it's 2012 now and the digits are slowly coming in. Religiotards are a thing of the past and the free humans of today will make sure of it by exposing your words as nothing but hypocracy, jealousy, greed, sense of superiority, racism, sexism...all the things you claim to see in others.

So how do you intend to get rid of this intolerance of us " religotards ".? ............ To me , there is nothing more hilarious than reading the ravings of a hypocrit Dude ........ You have my endorphins flowing as I laugh at the hypocrisy of your post . You site tolerance as an example to get rid of what you deem intolerance comical

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Who is the priest to judge? Whatever happened to "Forgive them father for they know not what they do"?

Religious nuts are sickening. They don't even know how to follow their own religious book.

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join