It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origin of Censorship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
How's it going ATS? I'm back and bringing another insightful thread

So recently a close friend and I went on a spiritual journey that produced an awesome conversation consisting of what we felt to be some of the most important yet controversial topics of time. One I specifically bring to you, why does censorship exist? Where did censorship come from and why is it still implemented to this day? Why do people believe censorship to be a positive influence in shaping the future and What purpose does it hold?

In my research on the Origin of Censorship, It is first important to know how Censorship is presently defined.
A quick wikipedia search provides this quote:

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

As determined by a "government, media outlet, or other controlling body".

In the past, government was (and usually still is) run by religion, that being focused on the beliefs of whoever is in power. Which makes sense considering the earliest and most well-known forms of censorship were carried out by organized religions or individuals acting out on what they believe to be right or wrong, not necessarily for the benefit of the people.
The founding fathers of the US decided to attempt to separate church (popular organized religion) and state, seeing the effects of a tyrannical manipulative force infiltrating in the name of divine throughout history. But how could anyone ever effectively separate religion (one's own belief system) with creating a law system? The original intention of the laws for United States was very loosely built for just that purpose - to be loosely interpreted to fit the needs of each individual. But with the eventual growth and modernization of our state as well as most historical civilization, it has become clear that over time the focus of politics has been less of an enforcer of free sovereign law and rights but instead the opposite - a power structure focused on creating new laws at the expense of the state and its people.

So what I ask is this, to who does censorship truly benefit? In a supposed "free" state, there should be a standard to uphold transparency, something that we as truth-seekers honor dearly. Beyond the boundaries of modern society, beyond politics, there is only the laws of nature that apply to ourselves, not the law of man. I ask again, what benefit does censorship have upon the people of the world? A slower rate of growth and progress as a collective whole? The delusion between our young and old as time chooses what is "acceptable" and what is not?

Looking forward to your input on this somehow "highly-controversial" subject.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The Catholic Crusades of the Middle Age are a prime example of the destruction of society as a result of censorship. Imagine all of the information lost about our past from the result of book burnings from religious or political beliefs.

And also, I still resent my parents for telling me Santa was real. Broke my heart. J/k.

edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: specification of time period

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Llamas do not understand censro.. sensa.. s.. ce... being said wot not is not is ok and wot!!

you are a fabrication!!!!!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

haha my hooves have seen many days good sir, as I'm sure yours have as well!

I stand by my word with my hoofs firmly planted on the ground!

edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
cant have any control over anyone if everything is know right? things are censored from the public so we act in a predictable manner, so we dont know what we really are doing. Id blame the church as the first censurers, something in true religion didnt work well for them so they censored and fed what they created.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kingllama

Best answer I've read all day, in this I will believe you!!

Hooveward on!!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by P-M-H

I couldn't agree with you more PMH. Its odd how after writing this post I realized that there is a very small divide between religion and an established country, state or doctrine. I recognized at a early age that there is basically no divide between one's belief system and religion, but it really seems like a parallel on a grander scale of some sort.
Parallels always help make sense of things.
It's just unfortunate that people don't have the vigor they once had to stand up for their own beliefs, religious or not.
I guess the religion of today is staring at a screen.
The screen is your friend.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Good topic. My boyfriend & I have discussed this as well and personally think of censorship as a way to drive a wedge between people. Especially thinks like being "politically correct". Instead of uniting it divides and makes it harder for one to communicate. what better way to drive a wedge between people then making it harder to communicate.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

I know exactly what you mean. I believe one of the first steps we can do as a collective society is abolish censorship. Some people think that it will have a negative outcome on youth, but wouldn't transparency help bring resolve quicker than ignorance? Regardless I wish my elders were more straight up with me in my youth. I don't care how much pain I endure from my path of knowledge, I know it's all worth it in the end because I will know many positive secrets most do not understand and because of that, live a better quality of life.

Simply put, I would rather live with my eyes open than dreaming, regardless of how bad the truth may be.
I don't need someone else to tell me what is right and wrong, I can be the judge of that for myself. If it exists, so be it. There's no turning back.

edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: further explanation

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I know what you mean. Sadly censorship isn't the only problem we are faced with. Our own governments hide and keep secrets from us. I think all knowledge should be available for people to read but then again governments want to keep us dumbed down in order to control us so they are on the right track. We, everyone around the world, need to tell the governments enough is enough. Get rid of them and create a better functioning society that will be a class 1 civilization, free from the enslavement of money as well & living as whole.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingllama
reply to post by P-M-H

I couldn't agree with you more PMH. Its odd how after writing this post I realized that there is a very small divide between religion and an established country, state or doctrine. I recognized at a early age that there is basically no divide between one's belief system and religion, but it really seems like a parallel on a grander scale of some sort.
Parallels always help make sense of things.
It's just unfortunate that people don't have the vigor they once had to stand up for their own beliefs, religious or not.
I guess the religion of today is staring at a screen.
The screen is your friend.

don't think that it's just the churches that are keeping us stuck in dogmatic dumbed down states to control us, government is way bigger and better at it then the churches are. Between church & government, most of us are sheep, baaa, what ever u say, baaaa.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by knoledgeispower

I get what you mean. I was just pointing out that there really is no difference between a belief system and religion (except for major religious cults). I tend to believe that government is the spawn of religion at this point. Humanity needs to start seeing itself as a collective whole, regardless of discrepancies and regardless of racial/political/sociological dogma. We should strive to give individuals confidence to do the right thing without being prosecuted. And you're absolutely right, we need to reach a Class one before it's too late...

edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: typos

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I see the origin of censorship as an off shoot of camouflage. In the jungle, if you cannot be seen it is an advantage towards survival. A lot of war lords throughout history have burned all books and culture that did not match their ideas, to have their culture and beliefs dominate over others.

I do see that there is a place for some censorship, humans can do some pretty dumb and dark things at times and having such information freely available can further these problems. However, for those that do want to try and understand some of these situations, having access to this information is important.

The national security state does appear to be taking the issue of censorship too far and creating a state of confusion with so many distractions and diversions to enforce this censorship.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

The Catholic Crusades of the Middle Age are a prime example of the destruction of society as a result of censorship. Imagine all of the information lost about our past from the result of book burnings from religious or political beliefs.

And also, I still resent my parents for telling me Santa was real. Broke my heart. J/k.

Your ignorance of American history and World history is rather sad.

1) No were is the Church separated from the State. Rather Congress is expressly prohibited from interfering with religion. The separation between Church and State was created by closet atheist's and expanded upon by closet atheist judges.

The States demanded that THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT STAY OUT OF RELIGION, as many States had their own State Religions(a good many of the 13 Colonies where officially Christian States as per their constitution).

2) muslims started the Crusades. If anything Christians tried to live peacefully alongside muslims. Even as muslims raped their way across Sicily, Iberia and Asia Minor, Christians still tried to establish peace.

3) I have proven two things

a) You know jack about American law and History
b) That you are a Christian hating bigot who willfully ignores History.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by korathin

Cool. Now I know the "truth" know knowing what I know is disinformation. Thank you for that.
Otherwise, you don't need to be a jackass about it.
edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin

Your ignorance of American history and World history is rather sad.

2) muslims started the Crusades. If anything Christians tried to live peacefully alongside muslims. Even as muslims raped their way across Sicily, Iberia and Asia Minor, Christians still tried to establish peace.

Way too make it sound like Muslims are the evil of the world and that Christians were peaceful people. Sure there were lots that wanted peace but there are a lot of "christians" who did a lot of evil things in the name of Christianity. Almost every "religion" has had their fanatics that kill in the name of religion but in the end they are hold back society with their dogmatic ways.
I use quotes because they are not true people of their faith, they are using it to get their ways.

new topics

top topics

join