It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help identifying this experience please. (Spacing out?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm having trouble finding information on an experience I have had in the past, and still experience from time to time. I'm rather positive that I'm not the only one, but I just can't seem to find a term for it to better identify so I can research more.

First, this use to happen much more frequently when I was younger, but I still get it from time to time. I will add here that I did experiment with drugs when I was younger.. you name it, and I've done it.. BUT, this occurred before ever experimenting with drugs as well, and has happened with years of not using any mind altering substances as well.

The best way I can describe it is "spacing out". I will all of the sudden, for lack of a better term, 'snap back'. I'm not sure how long I am not identifying with my thoughts or experience, but the snapping back tells me there is at least some amount of time where I am just staring off at something, but not really realize that I am doing it. When I first snap back, my first thought process goes through questions such as, what is this? where am I? what am I? I can only imagine it is what we would remember when first being born if we were able to hold that memory and recall it. Where everything is new. I can look at my hand, for example and move it, but not be aware that I am moving it. I'm not really confused.. It's more like it doesn't matter. A disconnection I guess.

During the 'waking up', I realize everything slowly, so I guess it's not really snapping back. I rather enjoy this experience, and even as a child, I think I enjoyed it then too. I certainly wasn't scared of it. I find myself now, trying to recreate the experience, but that never works, and it can only come when I am not aware that it is coming if that makes sense.

I believe this is the experience that has brought about my interest in metaphysics over the past several years, but I never connected it to my interest until now.

This may be something very common, I'm just looking for any input as to a term that I could research.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I have not intention of upsetting you but have you considered the possibility of a silent CVA or silent cerebrovascular accident?

I have no medical background but I would at least take it up with a doctor if this happens a lot.

Peace

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Not to alarm you in any way but it kinda sounds like micro siezures. My daughter was doing the same thing and me and my wife noticed it, Once we asked her about it she told us she didnt know how it started or even notice it while SPACING OUT till she said snapped back into reality once someone spoke to her.

And yes she was diagnosed with Micro siezures & and put on medication.
Please go have a MRI and or CT scan done.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Wow, I had never thought about the possibility that it could be seizures. I can't remember the last time that it happened, I know it has been a while. I'm 28 now and it has happened since my earliest memories of childhood.

Citizen, did your daughter appear not to be blinking at the time? I have been told (when others are around when it has happened) that I am staring and can go unusually long periods without blinking.

Seriously, thank you both for your responses. I have never thought to mention it to my doctor, but I plan on making an appointment soon to discuss it with him. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

Do You Have Time Lapses? Example- You're driving down the road on you're way to work, you get there but dont remember what streets you took to get there.

Have you ever been doing something and looked up at a clock and time had either fast fowarded or stopped?

Have you ever felt like you had been taken by Aliens?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by broahes

Do You Have Time Lapses? Example- You're driving down the road on you're way to work, you get there but dont remember what streets you took to get there.

Have you ever been doing something and looked up at a clock and time had either fast fowarded or stopped?

Have you ever felt like you had been taken by Aliens?

YES! (aside from the aliens part).. while I'm not against believing that we are not alone, just based on the idea that there is so much out there that we know nothing about.. I don't think I've ever felt like I've been taken by aliens. I will say though, that when I was a child I did have dreams for a few years, between the ages of maybe 5-10 where I dreamed about "beings", although I didn't identify them as aliens from outer space. I can still remember these dreams, but haven't had them in a long time, but I have talked to my mother, who remembers me waking her up being scared because of them after waking up. The dreams always start from me waking up in my bed and walking down the hall of my home (that I grew up in).. everything would be normal, aside from things being in odd places and me realizing this as being odd in the dreams. When I would spot the "beings" I would try to run, sometimes outside, sometimes through the house.. and be screaming, but it's like I was deaf or that I wasn't making any noice.. that is where the most fear would come from.. realizing that I wasn't really making any noise in my screams.. only silence. I remember vividly, this was where I would really become scared in the dream.

As for driving and getting to my destination without really recognizing.. yes, this happens a good bit, and I have talked to my doctor about this, as I feel it's dangerous if I don't remember driving. He has told me that it probably comes from being tired, and to make sure I get more sleep.

I can't say I can remember any experience like this with time or clocks.

I spend a lot of my time inside of my thoughts and not really identifying with the outside world. I enjoy sitting and just thinking. I suppose, that the closes I come to that is just getting caught up in my thoughts.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I wouldn't believe that it is any brain injury of any sort. I believe you may be experiencing out of body or atral expierences but you're not fully concious of it though. Next time that happens try to remember things like what things do you see when this happens? where do you go off to? Does someone or something take you to a place or do you go wherever by yourself. Do you hear things as if they we're there but nothing else is around you physically to make those noises or audible sounds? Things like this.

I've zoned out like this before and was in this random room, then i hear a random voice saying "Ya havin fun yet?" then i snapped back. I've had several of those though... During ancient times this is why alot of people did heavy meditation...to get intouch with their "Other Side". It is possible to control when those sorts of things happen but it takes ALOT of practice and being healthy and meditating some. Solfeggio frequencies generally help me out too...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Also, I personally believe that instant post replies immediately trying to coin these experiences as brain damage
are just trying to drive you away from any "Meta-Physical" explanation as there are some people who would wish to hide this sensitive information...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IckaPrick
reply to post by broahes

I wouldn't believe that it is any brain injury of any sort. I believe you may be experiencing out of body or atral expierences but you're not fully concious of it though. Next time that happens try to remember things like what things do you see when this happens? where do you go off to? Does someone or something take you to a place or do you go wherever by yourself. Do you hear things as if they we're there but nothing else is around you physically to make those noises or audible sounds? Things like this.

I've zoned out like this before and was in this random room, then i hear a random voice saying "Ya havin fun yet?" then i snapped back. I've had several of those though... During ancient times this is why alot of people did heavy meditation...to get intouch with their "Other Side". It is possible to control when those sorts of things happen but it takes ALOT of practice and being healthy and meditating some. Solfeggio frequencies generally help me out too...

Thanks for your response. I still want to talk to my doctor about this, but I'm open to anyone's ideas.

The things is.. I can't answer any of your questions. I often try to recall these things. I don't really go anywhere. There certainly isn't anyone else there. I don't recall any thought and when I first "snap back" and slowly come back to reality, I realize that I wasn't really thinking or identifying with any experience during the time.

Thanks again for the idea. I will think about it more and try to recall something, but during the space out, I'm rather certain that there will be nothing that I will be able to remember because I'm not there.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IckaPrick
Also, I personally believe that instant post replies immediately trying to coin these experiences as brain damage
are just trying to drive you away from any "Meta-Physical" explanation as there are some people who would wish to hide this sensitive information...

While I can't deny that that is a possibility, I feel that both of them, particularly citizen in his thought that it could be micro seizures, is a valid thing to look into. I'm not convinced that it is or isn't anything.. that's why I'm looking for info from everyone with an opinion

Again, thank you for your response.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
If you are confused for a few seconds about who/where you are, and don't remember having any daydreams during that period, then I would guess seizures.

Most of us space out at times and do not lose our bearings, and are actually thinking or visualizing things during that time. But this sounds different. It could be dangerous, depending upon what you are doing when it happens.
I would encourage you to talk about it with a doctor and get some tests.

The idea that there is some spiritual mystical component may have some validity, I do not know-seizures themselves may also be point of connecting with another sphere, or some other part of our self, or some other entities.....but it doesn't sound like it is willed by you (when and where it will happen) and so not mastered, and as long as it can interfere with your physical well being here, I wouldn't call it a positive thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
You could be achieving a meditative state through daydreaming. Daydreaming aka "zoning out" is essentially meditation on another level. I think you've been naturally been tapping into the zone you need to progress into. I had an extremely similar experience and by properly training myself, I could meditate with my eyes open and begin to experience other sensory perception like auras. It's odd because it seemed like you described, a whole other mindset, but with proper training you can tap into the subconscious without having to do anything special at all. The hardest part about it is that it takes real self-taught discipline. But if you are confident in yourself, there is nothing you cannot achieve.
Best of luck to you friend.

edit on 1-3-2012 by kingllama because: specification

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by broahes

I spend a lot of my time inside of my thoughts and not really identifying with the outside world. I enjoy sitting and just thinking. I suppose, that the closes I come to that is just getting caught up in my thoughts.

Hi, i just want to say that's a good description of me also.
I also experience alot of "time lapse" events but only when i am in deep thought. As you mention with driving, i don't drive but walk around (as we all do, lol). But i tend to walk somewhere without realising i have actually walked there, for some reason i end up in deep thought quite often, even if walking to the shop, and i may not be able to remember much of the walk. I guess it's our subconscious taking over our physical actions during these periods of spontaneous deep thought.

Maybe it's our subconscious taking over physical movement when the brain is in deep thought?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

To me, it sounds like you are having symptoms of a spiritual awakening.

You might benefit from learning how to meditate. I've tried different methods, but had my best results with the lessons outlined on This Site

They're free, easy to follow, and very effective. Plus, there is a forum if you have any questions.

Best of luck!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
If you are confused for a few seconds about who/where you are, and don't remember having any daydreams during that period, then I would guess seizures.

Most of us space out at times and do not lose our bearings, and are actually thinking or visualizing things during that time. But this sounds different. It could be dangerous, depending upon what you are doing when it happens.
I would encourage you to talk about it with a doctor and get some tests.

The idea that there is some spiritual mystical component may have some validity, I do not know-seizures themselves may also be point of connecting with another sphere, or some other part of our self, or some other entities.....but it doesn't sound like it is willed by you (when and where it will happen) and so not mastered, and as long as it can interfere with your physical well being here, I wouldn't call it a positive thing.

I actually just woke my wife to tell her about it, just in case I talk myself out of making an appointment with the doctor to discuss it. I know she won't let that happen.

I'm actually glad I asked, as I've gotten several possibilities, and honestly (as you can see by where I posted this).. I never had even thought about the idea of it being a medical issue. I suppose that's because I see myself as a very healthy individual.

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kingllama

I actually meditate daily, and while I don't rule this out as being another form of that.. I view meditative states as being fully aware.. what I am describing here, I am totally unaware.. or at least I don't believe I am. Like I said, it's almost as if I am disconnected from myself for a moment (how long that moment is, I'm not sure).

I daydream a lot, but during that time, I'm aware of my thought process. I see this as something aside from that.

Thank you for your response.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
Maybe it's our subconscious taking over physical movement when the brain is in deep thought?

This is more my reasoning for posting this in the Metaphysics area of the forums. I was looking for a term to describe this. If I were in the subconscious, I believe I wouldn't be aware when "waking up".

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't feel alone

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
If it is not too personal, OP, do you find yourself to be a very anxious individual? So much so that you have an anxiety disorder? Also, does this "spacing out" last for a significant amount of time or does it seem almost instantaneous (if you can remember)?

I can't really offer much help but from experience of having an anxiety disorder, I occasionally get what is referred to as 'brain clicks" or "brain zaps". Sometimes they are accompanied by a sensation in the head like a zap, or a buzz, or just a generally odd and not too cool feeling, but what they always have in common is that it feels like time stops and starts back up again in an instant. Of course, you can't really experience time but that is just the best way to describe it. It's like waking up from a dream while already have been waken up. It's like you have a switch in your head that says "Unconscious" on the bottom and "Conscious" on the top and some REALLY QUICKLY flips it down and up.

It feels like "spacing out" sometimes I feel like I just had a whole dream within that instant. A real daydream. Not just a daydreaming thought. However, I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing. You seemed to agree with the poster stating about driving from Point A to Point B with no conscious recollection. Well, that is known as "DWAM" Driving Without Attention Mode or "Highway Hypnosis" and is very common amongst all.
Wikipedia: Highway hypnosis

From what I am guessing, it sounds like you may be spacing out for longer than an instant. On the off chance that this is what you are experiencing, or if it may be related, I will post some thoughts on what it could be:

1. Brain zaps can occur from people having SSRI withdrawals (Anti-depressant withdrawals). However, I get them and I do not take SSRIs, nor have I.
Wikipedia: SSRI discontinuation syndrome

2. Extremely tight upper body and neck muscles. I realize that when I get them more frequently, I also have a very stiff neck and trapezius muscles. I would say the cause of this relation could be due to poor circulation in the neck causing lack of oxygen and blood to the brain, causing a slight instant of unconsciousness. Are you generally stressed out and have tense muscles?

3. Lack of sleep. A form of sleep deprivation known as "Microsleep" can cause random, rapid sleep that can last anywhere from 1 second to 30 seconds, against your will. It can also simply be caused by mental fatigue if you are very stressed.
Wikipedia: Microsleep

4. Directed attention fatigue. I figured I'd throw this one out there too. It's another onset of mental exhaustion and can cause you to be so mentally tired that your naturally space out for extended periods of time just to get a mental break. Does it feel kind of soothing to sometimes drift off into this space? Almost warm and content?
Wikipedia: Directed Attention Fatigue

That is really all I can think of at the moment. If you seem to be a pretty happy, relaxed, and mentally cool individual than this might not be any thing of use to you. It may very well be something more physical like mini seizures, as someone has said, or it could be metaphysical too like stay more "meditative". However, it should be noted that if you were in a spiritual state you would generally be much sharper, quicker, and reflexive. Not dazed out and sleepy. Then again, it could just be coming with time.

Also, please note that I am not a doctor nor have I ever had any medical training. I am simply providing information that I have learn through searching for my own answers in life. I have had about every symptom you could name off and have extensively researched many of them. If you have any further question, please let me know.

Good luck to you and may life treat you well.

Other related topics
Anxiety Disorder symptoms (Please note that those symptoms are very vague and could apply to a plethora of other things. Having them does not necessarily mean you have an anxiety challenge.)
Hypnagogia
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I agree with the person who posted that they may be micro-seizures. More specifically, hypoglycemia. I am diabetic, and I have had severe seizures in the past (I suffer from what is known as hypoglycemia unawareness). There's only 17 out of 100 diabetics that have that.

Here's a link to wikipedia on hypoglycemia:

Hypoglycemia Wikipedia

Quoted from the Wiki:

Hypoglycemia hypoglycæmia or low blood sugar (not to be confused with hyperglycemia) is an abnormally diminished content of glucose in the blood.[1] The term literally means "under-sweet blood" (Gr. υπογλυκαιμία, from hypo-, glykys, haima). It can produce a variety of symptoms and effects but the principal problems arise from an inadequate supply of glucose to the brain, resulting in impairment of function (neuroglycopenia). Effects can range from mild dysphoria to more serious issues such as seizures, unconsciousness, and (rarely) permanent brain damage or death.

Wiki page on dysphoria (caused by hypoglycemia):

Dysphoria Wiki

Quoted from the Wikipedia Dysphoria page:

Dysphoria (from Greek δύσφορος (dysphoros), from δυσ-, difficult, and φέρειν, to bear) (semantically opposite of euphoria) is medically recognized as a mental and emotional condition in which a person experiences intense feelings of depression, discontent and indifference to the world around them.[1] Mood disorders can induce dysphoria, often with a heightened risk of suicide, especially in persons with bipolar disorder who are in a depressive phase.[1] As the term refers only to a condition of mood, dysphoria may be experienced in response to ordinary life events, such as great illness or grief. Dysphoria can also be chemically induced by some commonly used psychoactive drugs, such as typical and atypical antipsychotics.[2]

I have experienced dysphoria, and spacing out from hypo events MANY times in my life. The easiest way to find out is to do this. Find a friend of yours who is diabetic. Ask to borrow one of their blood-testers if they have an extra one (most do, I do for sure).

Go exercise really hard, and make sure you have a clean lancet (needle to poke your finger with). You can buy lancets at any drug store over the counter. Test your blood after a really hard work out like a long fast bike ride. If your blood sugar is anything below 75 mg/dl, then you are suffering from hypoglycemia. It is very common in the USA and other countries where sugar intake is very high. If you have hypoglycemia, go talk to a doctor about how to reduce the occurrence of those events.

In no way is this to be construed as medical advice, but it may provide you a direction to look into for solving this. The main thing to avoid hypos if you aren't diabetic is to avoid eating sugars of any kind, and stick to a lot of complex carbohydrates like grains that take longer to digest.

side note: mg/dl is the measurement of milligrams per deciliter of sugar in the blood. Normal range (non hypo) is between 80-100 mg/dl. If you live in Europe the units are measured in mmol/l. I can't be specific on what range it should be, but you can find that info on web pages.

Good luck to you OP!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Wow ErroneousDylan,

You have provided a wealth of information here to look into as possibilities. Thank you for that. I'll try my best to respond (words are often hard to find when trying to describe it).

OP, do you find yourself to be a very anxious individual? So much so that you have an anxiety disorders? Also, does this "spacing out" last for a significant amount of time or does it seem almost instantaneous (if you can remember)?

I don't think I have much anxiety. I am a rather calm individual, probably more laid back than most my age. / I'm not sure about every single time, but it has been witnessed a few times- when younger by my mother and sister and more recently, by my wife. They all relay basically the same things.. it is certainly for more than an instant and my wife has conveyed noticing that I don't blink when she has witnessed it, having my eyes open wider than I normally have them.

I don't really feel like I am sluggish when I snap back, and generally have a boost in energy from it for at least a short period of time after.

I've never taken any type of anti-depressant either.

My job can sometimes overwhelm me (I believe it's my passion that does this), so I won't rule out Direct Attention Fatigue. I am rather content after coming back to my senses, but during the state of being phased out, I can't really say how I feel. I don't recall even thinking during this time.

The closest I can imagine it being like (when I "wake up") is what it would be like for a child that if first born, seeing the world for the first time, with no identified reasoning for anything that is existing around me. This only last a few seconds before I am fully back and awakened.

Thank you my friend for the info provided.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join