It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Monkees - Goodbye Mr. Davy Jones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
When I read the news today I discovered that Davy Jones had passed away. The Monkees first appeared when I was 6 or 7. The Beatles had only changed music a couple of years earlier and the British invasion had taken over. The Beach Boys and the Monkees were America's answer. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has refused to put them in because they didn't always play their instruments or write all their songs, oh gosh and neither did Frank Sinatra. Michael Nesmith was a published musician, helped create Western Rock (he wrote Linda Ronstadt's first hit, Different Drum), Micky Dolenz was already a tv star (Elephant or Circus Boy), Mr. Tork played multiple instruments and was a folk singer and Davy at 16 had been nominated for a Tony as a Broadway actor. They were all talented.

When the television show, The Monkees, first appeared on tv, I remember how joyous and fun it was. Oh, their first hit, "Last Train to Clarksville" was a hit before the tv show had aired. Mr. Jones always thought of himself as an actor, though he had also been a professional jockey. Whatever you may think of them or their music now, they certainly left their mark on society and deserve their due. Mr. Jones always seemed so gentle and fun. He was part of my childhood and I will miss hearing him, peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It is sad. all ATSers should listen to Zor and Zam. A good ATS themed song. Post the link myself but I'm a newb.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Nice post.
The Monkee's were originally not allowed to play any instruments but eventually they did.
Nesmith's mother I believe invented "White-Off" as an added curio.
Unfairly called the "Pre-Fab Four" as a send up of the Beatles "Fab-Four" nickname, calling their music pre-fabricated, they nevertheless attracted a world-wide audience with their chart topping fans and TV show.
Davey caused David Bowie to change his name (his real name being David Jones) so there would be no confusion.
R.I.P. Davey Jones.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When I turned on the news this afternoon,
I didn't believe the newscaster when she said Davy Jones was dead.

Then I saw her face.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingdutchman2112

Dear flyingdutchman2112,

YouTube - Zor and Zam

They had to fight to make songs against the Vietnam War.

Here is the song I think of for Mr. Jones.

The Monkees - "Valleri" - ORIGINAL VIDEO - '68

Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Dear FugitiveSoul,

I couldn't watch Lost in Space because my older sister liked the Monkees and I was good with both. I could never go wrong regarding which we watched. I cannot explain the times, I cannot explain the hope and happiness that we all felt. There were no reruns, there was no VHS, if you missed a show, you missed it. My childhood sweetheart won the Gong Show, I missed it and have never been able to get a second chance to see it. When you committed to a tv show, you committed to it. The Monkees took America and Davy was loved by millions of young girls. People looked forward to every episode and they changed tv, they were fun and had good music. Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I agree. I loved the Monkees too. I'm probably one of the blasphemous few that grew up preferring their music to the Beatles. Oddly enough, last week I had Daydream Believer stuck in my head for at least 3 days.
I have to say though, if you've got to get a song stuck in your head, that's not a bad one to hum for 72 hours straight. I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Just trying to make light a sad time.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
he may have just been the 1

RIP Davy

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul
reply to post by AQuestion

I agree. I loved the Monkees too. I'm probably one of the blasphemous few that grew up preferring their music to the Beatles. Oddly enough, last week I had Daydream Believer stuck in my head for at least 3 days.
I have to say though, if you've got to get a song stuck in your head, that's not a bad one to hum for 72 hours straight. I didn't mean to offend you in any way. Just trying to make light a sad time.

Dear FugitiveSoul,

You did not offend me in anyway, I just found an opportunity to say some more about them. Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I loved watching the Monkees so much in the 1960s as a kid. They were cool, they had fun music, and they were actually NICE GUYS.

"...We're too busy singin', to put anybody down." Not haters, not angry, but fun-loving, cool, and friendly souls. That is so missing from today's artists.

Remember when he was the guest star at Marsha Brady's prom on the Brady Bunch? LOL!

Thanks for the memories, Davy.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

Dear spoonbender,

What a nice post. I don't know how to imbed, so I just link to one of Davy's songs.

The Monkees - Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow

You want a conspiracy, one jerk on the board that determines who is eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has kept them out and he is a friend of Don Kirshner who the Monkees fired constructively. Peace.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
I loved watching the Monkees so much in the 1960s as a kid. They were cool, they had fun music, and they were actually NICE GUYS.
"...We're too busy singin', to put anybody down." Not haters, not angry, but fun-loving, cool, and friendly souls. That is so missing from today's artists.
Remember when he was the guest star at Marsha Brady's prom on the Brady Bunch? LOL!
Thanks for the memories, Davy.

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Dear FugitiveSoul,

I have to say that I am saddened by how little response this thread got and even more saddened that I didn't see any other threads about his passing. Thanks for your input. Peace.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Meh, another one bites the dust too soon.

edit on 2-3-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join