It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire
HAVELOCK, N.C. — A North Carolina man is dead after police say he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.
Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.
City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.
Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.
Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation into the accident.
Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I mistook turpentine for Vodka once. A guy I knew use to work with a lot of acrylic paints and such and kept his turpentine in old liquor bottle, unmarked. It was horrible, the effects in my mouth lasted 12 hours or so, completely dried my gums and lips out to the point of a corpse.
I'm still here though, in Hell with all of you, so it could have been worse.
I've watched people siphon gasoline and it doesn't seem anything that bad.