It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy mistake drink, and drinks gasoline

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Why would someone put gas in a jar in the first place? The guy mistakenly drinks a jar of gasoline and then lights up a cigarette. Now, I have to wonder how many drinks of alcohol this guy had before he took the the drink of gasoline. I don't even know what to think about this one. Still curious as to why someone would put gasoline in a jar???? Why not use those gasoline containers (The red ones). Boggled.

What your take on this?

www.wral.com...
NC man mistakes gas for drink, causes fatal fire

HAVELOCK, N.C. — A North Carolina man is dead after police say he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation into the accident.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
If it adds something for explaining the first part of his hilarious attempt at a Darwin award, I put gas in small jars myself at times. It depends on what I am cleaning..from small car parts to gun parts.

As for the second part of his award attempt...Umm.. Wow. I don't know what to say about a guy who DRINKS the gas. How drunk DOES one have to be to drink it and not have that little mistake become the sole focus of the rest of the night..if not longer. I wouldn't immediately think how great a cigarette might taste to chase it down with. Good lord...some people make me shake my head that they made it in life this far.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I use to clean bearings with a jar filled with gas. Probably not the greatest way but it worked.

It really does make you wonder how people made it that far in their life doesn't it, heh. Now all gas stations are gonna have to have big neon signs that say "do not drink gas". One of my favorite warnings is on baby strollers. Remove baby before folding. Some people really are that stupid.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

watch someone sue because there was no label.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What on earth was he drinking originally that he could mistake gasoline for it and not think twice? Wouldn't it at least burn like hell or even taste weird?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
That's it. I''m going to the gas station tomorrow and light myself on fire. Then I will sue them for millions for not warning me. Oh, wait, they do have those flammable warnings all over the place. OK, I'll drink the gas, then sue them from the grave. Oh, wait....

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

that is the question for sure, how drunk do you have to be to drink gas from a jar thinking its your mix drink? my guess would be almost blacked out drunk, cus i have dont things i dont remember or want to remember while i was blacked out drunk.

also, he should be in the running for the Darwin Awards almost a front runner in my book

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

When I was younger, someone I knew was inhaling gasoline (from a mini-bike) to get high.

He became disoriented and tried to ride the mini-bike. He landed underneath and the petrol cap was still off, so it covered him in fuel.

He was with friends and apparently sat down against a tree, then took out a cigarette and a lighter.

His friends (who were probably similarly disoriented) all thought he was joking, but he lit the lighter and was fatally burned.

You have to be careful of fuels & fire.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
OMG, that's tragic.
Obviously he was really drunk not to realize that his clothes was soaked in gasoline before he lit the cigarette.

That's just sad...

However, let that be a lesson to all the kids out there.. Keep away from open flames if you're covered in petrol..
Oh and I'm sure there's a lesson about not drinking to access, but I won't go into that

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

think of it as Evolution in action.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
True story....

I mistook turpentine for Vodka once. A guy I knew use to work with a lot of acrylic paints and such and kept his turpentine in old liquor bottle, unmarked. It was horrible, the effects in my mouth lasted 12 hours or so, completely dried my gums and lips out to the point of a corpse.

I'm still here though, in Hell with all of you, so it could have been worse.
I've watched people siphon gasoline and it doesn't seem anything that bad.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
True story....

I mistook turpentine for Vodka once. A guy I knew use to work with a lot of acrylic paints and such and kept his turpentine in old liquor bottle, unmarked. It was horrible, the effects in my mouth lasted 12 hours or so, completely dried my gums and lips out to the point of a corpse.

I'm still here though, in Hell with all of you, so it could have been worse.
I've watched people siphon gasoline and it doesn't seem anything that bad.

Ahh Jibbi, that just explains some of your posts!!

How the heck an you mistake turps for vodka. Yeesh. Metho maybe, but even that...

And I've distilled some really nasty stuff...

lol

Just kidding man..

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
North Carolina go ahead and raise up take your shirt off and wave like a helicoptah

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
I would have thought that the slightly oaken, full bodied, yet charming bouqet of a 2012 vintage Super Unleaded would have been unmistakeable.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Thats why the nose is placed just above the mouth.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
And despite us only being three months in the 2012 Darwin Award winner is this guy.

www.darwinawards.com...

Seriously this is a simply amazing and comic story. Like something on snopes.

top topics

join