It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica's big crack revealed (video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Is there a chunk about to break off suddenly. The article said this was at the beginning of one of the disaster movies, and now is in real life occurring. On another forum someone said they used tubing to create it so there are people who think nature is really getting a helping hand, who have gone on record as to wanting to depopulate earth significantly.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
to me it looks photoshoped. compare that photo with other glaciers.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

On another forum someone said they used tubing to create it so there are people who think nature is really getting a helping hand, who have gone on record as to wanting to depopulate earth significantly.

Because someone said that, I reckon it must be true. I have a question though:
Do you really feel that a 9 kilometer by 10 kilometer (900 square kilometers) by 1/2 of a kilometer thick chunk of ice, even if it breaks off suddenly, is going to significantly impact the population of the Earth?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

Why the hell would the Canadian government "muzzle" their scientists over common occurrences in China and Antarctica?

See ya,
Milt

It is only you speculating this is common.
It's not like the 'Sun set today in the west' type of 'common' because if it were it wouldn't be note-worthy now would it? I have NEVER read a report about the Sun setting in the west. Never!

I am just passing on interesting tidbits and snippets to perhaps a bigger puzzle. And apparently you're compelled to read them too...then, try to flip them in a lame attempt to make me look like a doom-reporter.
I find this stuff very relevant (although non-conclusive) and extremely interesting.

And I suggest YOU take a break from this conspiracy forum because it's got you incredibly trained to be in total opposition no matter what the topic is.
If I made a thread about the sky being blue, I can count on you to chime in and argue it's aqua-green!
Too much arguing ain't good for the soul Ben-boy

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
God is going to crack it perfectly in half so nations will not fight over who got the bigger piece. O children of earth heed my message great godess bla bla bla . Anyway Antarctica has some dirt and rocks and the North Pole is a frozen over ocean. Penguins have had a hard time lately, now they will be falling in cracks, poor things. I wonder If they would like the North Pole?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

In October 2011, researchers flying in NASA’s Operation IceBridge campaign made the first-ever detailed, airborne measurements of a major iceberg calving event while it was in progress. Four months later, the IceBridge team has mapped the crack in Antarctica’s Pine Island Glacier in a way that allows glaciologists and the rest of us to fly through the icy canyon.

Source

Thanks for posting....interesting stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I believe the article is talking about the whole continent of Antarctica.

Pine Island Glacier is in the area.

The crack formed in the ice shelf that extends from one of West Antarctica’s fastest-moving glaciers

From your link...

A paper to be published soon by the British Antarctic Survey in the journal Geophysical Research Letters is expected to confirm that over the past 30 years, the area of sea ice around the continent has expanded.

edit on 1-3-2012 by relocator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

It is only you speculating this is common.

Not at all! You're home state of Florida is well known for sinkhole formation, and ice bergs are far from being rare.

That comment was only a desparate attempt to dodge my question. Those types of tactics only reflect poorly on you, so have at it.

It's not like the 'Sun set today in the west' type of 'common' because if it were it wouldn't be note-worthy now would it? I have NEVER read a report about the Sun setting in the west. Never!

I'm sure you didn't! I'm also VERY sure you didn't comprehend:

In October 2011, researchers flying in NASA's Operation IceBridge campaign made the first-ever detailed, airborne measurements of a major iceberg calving event while it was in progress.

Source
If you had understood that excerpt, you would have KNOWN that it is actually the only "note-worthy" part of the article.

I am just passing on interesting tidbits and snippets to perhaps a bigger puzzle.

No you're not! You are taking "interesting tidbits and snippets" and ONLY trying to INVENT a conspiracy.

And apparently you're compelled to read them too...then, try to flip them in a lame attempt to make me look like a doom-reporter.

Nope! It is you that makes yourself "look like a doom-reporter". You certainly don't need my help for that. However, when I do come across crap such as yours, I do feel compelled to point it out.

And I suggest YOU take a break from this conspiracy forum because it's got you incredibly trained to be in total opposition no matter what the topic is.
If I made a thread about the sky being blue, I can count on you to chime in and argue it's aqua-green!

That seems to be a reflection of your paranoia, and really has absolutely nothing to do with me, or the subject of this topic. Consider your suggestion dismissed.

Carry on...

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Thanks for a post that didn't rely on UTTERLY BASELESS hysteria, paranoia, and intentional fear-mongering.

Refreshing to see earth changes not automatically blamed on a rogue planet or NWO depopulation programming.

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
This has been in the making since the mid-late 90's Since the loss of the Larson A and Larson B Ice shelves. Scientists have had theories and have seen evidence to the fact that Both Ice Shelves were holding back and slowing the speed of the Pine Island Glacier, which is one of the Main arteries for ice flows from the inner part of Antarctica.
There is lots of Theories and Speculation on the fact of how things are Compounding and accelerating faster than previously thought. There are many factors to the acceleration of Ice sheet and Glacial retreat and melting.

Sadly for me this news is not all that Surprising and shocking. My feelings is were pasting the tipping point with polar melting. I feel we will see mass Glacial and Ice sheet failures far sooner than previously predicted. Its a cascading failure. I say there will be massive changes in the next 5 years, Alarming changes that will have the whole scientific community at aw.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
S&F

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out a rather large mathematical error I made in this post.

Because someone said that, I reckon it must be true. I have a question though:
Do you really feel that a 9 kilometer by 10 kilometer (900 square kilometers) by 1/2 of a kilometer thick chunk of ice, even if it breaks off suddenly, is going to significantly impact the population of the Earth?

I should have posted:
Do you really feel that a 30 kilometer by 30 kilometer (900 square kilometers) by 1/2 of a kilometer thick chunk of ice, even if it breaks off suddenly, is going to significantly impact the population of the Earth?

I'm truly sorry for the mistake, but I feel the question is still valid.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Now...........I'm wondering about all the sinkholes I just posted. Is there a connection?

Basically... No. There is no direct connection between sinkholes and iceberg calving. Glaciers are constantly on the move, and calving is a natural process that occurs when a glacier flows into the ocean.

Ice (glaciers) don't crack if they're frozen. Only heat or earthquakes would cause that, no?
And 'expanding'...how? More ice is forming? Isn't making sense.

Glaciers certainly do crack, as even though they're "frozen", the ice behaves somewhat like a very viscous fluid as it flows downhill. This movement can lead to many strange ice formations caused by the enormous shear stresses generated, such as crevasses. The glaciers flow is due to many factors, but extra heat is not a requirement for calving, although it may have some effect. But even if a glacier is calving and losing ice, it may be gaining ice at a faster rate due to precipitation, although I'm not sure on this specific glacier.

For all those that seem scared or alarmed by this article, I would recommend reading a bit on how glaciers and ice shelves form. Calving is a common process, and this current iceberg is not highly abnormal, although it is still fairly large. It should be noted that when this iceberg breaks off, it will not directly contribute to sea level rise, as it is already floating. And iceberg calving certainly doesn't indicate a physical pole shift is occurring.

It's not like the 'Sun set today in the west' type of 'common' because if it were it wouldn't be note-worthy now would it
The reason it is particularly noteworthy is due to the 3D imaging techniques used to give us the 3D animation of the crack. A previous poster thought the image was fake, which it is to some extent. This is due to the way 2D images are layed over a 3D mapped model, as explained in the video, giving it a somewhat strange appearance.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Another great post involving science and facts, and not Chicken Little-esque speculation.

Star!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned

Now...........I'm wondering about all the sinkholes I just posted. Is there a connection?

Basically... No. There is no direct connection between sinkholes and iceberg calving. Glaciers are constantly on the move, and calving is a natural process that occurs when a glacier flows into the ocean.

Ice (glaciers) don't crack if they're frozen. Only heat or earthquakes would cause that, no?
And 'expanding'...how? More ice is forming? Isn't making sense.

Glaciers certainly do crack, as even though they're "frozen", the ice behaves somewhat like a very viscous fluid as it flows downhill. This movement can lead to many strange ice formations caused by the enormous shear stresses generated, such as crevasses. The glaciers flow is due to many factors, but extra heat is not a requirement for calving, although it may have some effect. But even if a glacier is calving and losing ice, it may be gaining ice at a faster rate due to precipitation, although I'm not sure on this specific glacier.

For all those that seem scared or alarmed by this article, I would recommend reading a bit on how glaciers and ice shelves form. Calving is a common process, and this current iceberg is not highly abnormal, although it is still fairly large. It should be noted that when this iceberg breaks off, it will not directly contribute to sea level rise, as it is already floating. And iceberg calving certainly doesn't indicate a physical pole shift is occurring.

It's not like the 'Sun set today in the west' type of 'common' because if it were it wouldn't be note-worthy now would it
The reason it is particularly noteworthy is due to the 3D imaging techniques used to give us the 3D animation of the crack. A previous poster thought the image was fake, which it is to some extent. This is due to the way 2D images are layed over a 3D mapped model, as explained in the video, giving it a somewhat strange appearance.

How dare you post verifiable information? Do you expect me to believe that crap?. "So and so", who IS a "such and such", TOLD me that "such and such" IS NOT TRUE.

You sound just like a "paid government disinfo agent"! If I believed that, my argument would fall apart!

See ya buddy,
Milt
edit on 1-3-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Your motives are laughable and your persona is transparent.

We obvious disagree on how we embrace life and YET..........you follow my every thread....every post...sentence and word to the point where you feel a need to rip them apart and insert your conjecture.

Why Benny? You see, I care about you as my fellow Human spirit but I don't care about your obvious oppositional stance. Your main objective is to argue with me. I ignore people like you (although this post caught me off guard) and your kind........which are rare.

I believe this planet is in for a change. If that doesn't resonate with your paradigm you can 1) take it up with a good therapist or 2) stay away from my threads. It's simple. It's a no brainer. But seeing you CAN'T stay away I'll assume it's a mental condition.

Extending an Olive Branch for Peace .....

edit on 1-3-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Your motives are laughable and your persona is transparent.

If you're happy, I'm happy. I don't care what you think of my motives or persona. What makes you feel that I do?

you follow my every thread....every post...sentence and word to the point where you feel a need to rip them apart and insert your conjecture.

My, you seem to feel mighty important. Good for you! I'll give you a star too. That way you will feel even more important.

Honestly... It was an accident. I was quite surprised. This is only the first time I have "followed" you, and this is only the second of your topics that I've responded to.

Thank you! You have made me feel important too. I wish I could give you another star.

Your main objective is to argue with me.

No. You're wrong. My main objective is to point out crap when I happen across it. In your case, I've happened across a lot of it.

I believe this planet is in for a change.

What makes you think I care what you believe? I really don't.

If that doesn't resonate with your paradigm you can 1) take it up with a good therapist or 2) stay away from my threads. It's simple. It's a no brainer. But seeing you CAN'T stay away I'll assume it's a mental condition.

That doesn't "resonate" like an olive branch to me, but I wish I could give you another star anyway.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pegasus2000
This has been in the making since the mid-late 90's Since the loss of the Larson A and Larson B Ice shelves. Scientists have had theories and have seen evidence to the fact that Both Ice Shelves were holding back and slowing the speed of the Pine Island Glacier, which is one of the Main arteries for ice flows from the inner part of Antarctica.
There is lots of Theories and Speculation on the fact of how things are Compounding and accelerating faster than previously thought. There are many factors to the acceleration of Ice sheet and Glacial retreat and melting.

Sadly for me this news is not all that Surprising and shocking. My feelings is were pasting the tipping point with polar melting. I feel we will see mass Glacial and Ice sheet failures far sooner than previously predicted. Its a cascading failure. I say there will be massive changes in the next 5 years, Alarming changes that will have the whole scientific community at aw.

i completely agree with you. the changes are happening at a more rapid rate than we thought and it's all increasing exponentially.

as for the poster who is derailing the conversation by just choosing to argue that the OP is fear mongering (when it reads as just a "hey, this is all really intriguing. lets discuss it" kind of post. most of us are open to the discussion and personally i'd like to see it continue in a civil manner instead of telling the OP his post shouldn't have been posted and he shouldn't have started the conversation. lets be grown ups.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

as for the poster who is derailing the conversation by just choosing to argue that the OP is fear mongering (when it reads as just a "hey, this is all really intriguing. lets discuss it" kind of post.

I'm sorry. I reckon I just didn't read it that way. My bad.

I read the OP as:

And...can this be why Canadian government put a 'muzzle' over the scientists mouths this month?
Way too many connections here to not consider this to be.... some potential trouble.

In my book, that looks like fear mongering, and seems to have nothing to do with:

Antarctica's big crack revealed (video)

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

She/He may have been referring to me.

I absolutely consider the OP as a fear monger of the highest order (congrats!). But that's only because I've actually read more than a wee handful of his posts and this sole thread.

This topic of his wasn't created in a vacuum. It's part of his emerging worldview which includes a rogue planet and chemtrailing to cover up its approach. Post history is a marvel. Check it out sometime.

Now, I have to go clean out my pygmy blow dart that I used on Davy Jones and Andy Breitbart.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ColAngus

She/He may have been referring to me.

Darned, I hope not!

I absolutely consider the OP as a fear monger of the highest order (congrats!).

I agree. Thanks, it's not difficult to pick up on.

This topic of his wasn't created in a vacuum. It's part of his emerging worldview which includes a rogue planet and chemtrailing to cover up its approach. Post history is a marvel. Check it out sometime.

I agree.
Yep! I discovered that too.
Yes it is.
I have.

Now, I have to go clean out my pygmy blow dart that I used on Davy Jones and Andy Breitbart.

I also know what was meant by that comment too.

See ya buddy,
Milt

top topics

<< 1   >>

join