It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica's big crack revealed (video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Now...........I'm wondering about all the sinkholes I just posted. Is there a connection?
And...can this be why Canadian government put a 'muzzle' over the scientists mouths this month?
Way too many connections here to not consider this to be.... some potential trouble.

How long did it take for this crack to form? I read the article and watched the video and still don't know the answer.
Anyone?

In a scene straight out of a science-fiction disaster movie, space agency Nasa has revealed what a vast crack across Antarctica looks like up close.

The 2004 movie The Day After Tomorrow opened with a the Antarctic iceshelf cracking ahead of global extreme weather, and now Nasa has it live and on YouTube.

In October 2011, researchers flying in NASA's Operation IceBridge campaign made the first-ever detailed, airborne measurements of a major iceberg calving event while it was in progress.

By February IceBridge's team had mapped the crack in Antarctica's Pine Island Glacier in a way that allowed glaciologists to fly through the icy canyon.

The animation was created by draping aerial photographs from the Digital Mapping System - a still camera with very precise geolocation ability - over data from the Airborne Topographic Mapper - a scanning laser altimeter that measures changes in the surface elevation of the ice.

Both instruments were flown on NASA's DC-8 research airplane, and the data was collected on October 26, 2011.

The crack formed in the ice shelf that extended from one of West Antarctica's fastest-moving glaciers.

The path of the crack in the animation stretched roughly 30 kilometres in length (the actual crack was much longer), with an average width of about 80 metres. It was 250 metres at its widest.

The canyon ranged from 50 to 60 metres deep, with the floor being roughly at the water line of the Amundsen Sea.

Radar measurements suggested the ice shelf was about half a kilometre thick, with only a third of it above water.

Nasa said scientists had been waiting for the crack to propagate through the rest of the ice shelf and release an iceberg, which they estimated could span 900 square kilometres.

If it did not split off soon, however, the sea ice that formed with the onset of southern winter might keep the ice chunk trapped against the coast for a while.

www.stuff.co.nz...
edit on 29-2-2012 by Human_Alien because: spelling

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Gonna need alot of toilet paper for that crack

On a serious note, This # is getting scary!!!
I am at once excited and scared #less about what is getting ready to go down.
Scared in a good way though.
Anticipation is killing me.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Is this article: Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking the same place?....where they said: ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.
Are these the same people who we trust to tell us what's going on in the world? I will assume it's the same place because Antarctic is 'Antarctic' right?

It is...
It isn't.....
Yes it will....
No it won't....

Are the TRYING to keep us confused and unsure?
edit on 29-2-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Well... I suppose it's important to keep perspective here on size. Everything is almost large beyond imagining down there.

I follow a couple of the blogs based out of the Science stations down there and it's a fascinating place. It's entirely possible that Ice could be expanding on one side and shrinking on the other...given how enormous the continent is. Now when can we get tickets to go swimming in the warm waters of Lake Vostok?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I think your mistaking the poles, you do realize the arctic is north and the antarctic is south right? Most of the major melting being reported is coming from the north. I think there is a hole in your understanding. I'm not meaning this to be an attack, just saying...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Has the raising Sun (when it's supposed to be in polar darkness for 6-months) ever been reasonably explained?

This dude isn't the first one to bring this to the public's attention.
This is really starting to look like we might be encountering a physical pole shift. Sorry. Just calling it like I'm feeling it. None of you debunkers know for sure. You think you would know the signs.And we'd hear about it. But based on what? Conjecture? Hope? Trust?

This sure would help to explain a LOT of weird things lately.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus
I think your mistaking the poles, you do realize the arctic is north and the antarctic is south right? Most of the major melting being reported is coming from the north. I think there is a hole in your understanding. I'm not meaning this to be an attack, just saying...

I do realize the North is where the attention and worry is but they're also saying Antarctica (south) is cracking. And they said: expanding.
Now why?
Ice (glaciers) don't crack if they're frozen. Only heat or earthquakes would cause that, no?
And 'expanding'...how? More ice is forming? Isn't making sense.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

I do realize the North is where the attention and worry is but they're also saying Antarctica (south) is cracking. And they said: expanding.
Now why?
Ice (glaciers) don't crack if they're frozen. Only heat or earthquakes would cause that, no?
And 'expanding'...how? More ice is forming? Isn't making sense.

My apologies I misread your OP. Very sorry, I get it now.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What's expanding? The glaciers or land?
And you really think two opposing forces can be happening at the same time down there? Heating and melting?
Lake Vostok? Now there's a mystery!!!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

That's perfectly okay
Thanks though.
But I'm still not grasping what's going on down there.
Or up there.
Or anywhere on this planet for that matter

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

That's perfectly okay
Thanks though.
But I'm still not grasping what's going on down there.
Or up there.
Or anywhere on this planet for that matter

I wonder if anyone really is grasping it or if some just pretend they are grasping it based on loose scientific facts. Whatever is happening it's important, regardless of the cause.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
yet another great thread that I had to S&F! I love this stuff and thank you for bringing this to us! Very interesting indeed! I just watched "the day after tomorrow" and this totally happened in the movie! ???? Weird stuff right there.

Expanding earth theory, or are we in for an ice age like in the movie. If we are, I am in trouble in Vancouver.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
This is really alarming. That is not a good scenario.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I'm wondering about all the sinkholes I just posted. Is there a connection?

Sure there is, but only because Earth is the common denominator. Sink holes are not a new occurrence, and are quite common. The same can be said for huge chunks of ice breaking off of the Antarctic ice sheet.

And...can this be why Canadian government put a 'muzzle' over the scientists mouths this month?

Why the hell would the Canadian government "muzzle" their scientists over common occurrences in China and Antarctica?

Way too many connections here to not consider this to be.... some potential trouble.

Nope! There is only one connection: Earth

How long did it take for this crack to form?

I haven't got a clue. It's your topic, why don't you take a little break from all of that paranoid speculation, and do a little research for a change? I'd like to know the answer as well, but I'm certainly not going to supply it for you.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Is this article: Revealed: Antarctic ice growing, not shrinking the same place?....where they said: ICE is expanding in much of Antarctica, contrary to the widespread public belief that global warming is melting the continental ice cap.
Are these the same people who we trust to tell us what's going on in the world? I will assume it's the same place because Antarctic is 'Antarctic' right?

It is...
It isn't.....
Yes it will....
No it won't....

Are the TRYING to keep us confused and unsure?
edit on 29-2-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

Are these the same people who we trust to tell us what's going on in the world?

I don't trust ANYONE to tell me what's going on in the World. If I'm interested, I ALWAYS attempt to VERIFY what I might hear. You should try it. If you choose this option, you will soon learn that MOST of what you hear is PURE CRAP.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

There is a lot of speculation in both the video and your words. Do you base everything you believe in on only speculation? Do you ever try to apply logic and research as apposed to connecting speculative dots after listening to unverified videos?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

*sigh*

Neumayer station isn't at the south pole, as you head further north the longer the days will be, so the short span of daylight that is seen at the station makes perfect sense.

You can find the station's location here:

www.antarcticconnection.com...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Ice (glaciers) don't crack if they're frozen.

Sure they do! If they weren't frozen, there wouldn't be anything to crack, would there? Believe it or not, rocks crack too, and it doesn't take heat, volcanoes, earthquakes, or even Nibiru to do so. Hell, it doesn't even take a "pole shift". Just a little water can do that!
See ya,
Milt
edit on 29-2-2012 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

What's expanding? The glaciers or land?
And you really think two opposing forces can be happening at the same time down there? Heating and melting?
Lake Vostok? Now there's a mystery!!!

Well yeah, to the degree that it makes a difference at the threshold of melting or freezing water, the opposing sides from any direction are thousands of miles. It's all freezing...but it seems that with the annual change of ice volumes, there must be a fine balance at that outer edge, anyway.

Indeed... I can't wait for more about Vostok..and now that it's made the whole network of apparent liquid water "rivers" connecting other lakes all over the continent a well known thing, I really can't wait to hear more. Surely they will start seriously focusing on it.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This has been in the making since the mid-late 90's Since the loss of the Larson A and Larson B Ice shelves. Scientists have had theories and have seen evidence to the fact that Both Ice Shelves were holding back and slowing the speed of the Pine Island Glacier, which is one of the Main arteries for ice flows from the inner part of Antarctica.
There is lots of Theories and Speculation on the fact of how things are Compounding and accelerating faster than previously thought. There are many factors to the acceleration of Ice sheet and Glacial retreat and melting.

Sadly for me this news is not all that Surprising and shocking. My feelings is were pasting the tipping point with polar melting. I feel we will see mass Glacial and Ice sheet failures far sooner than previously predicted. Its a cascading failure. I say there will be massive changes in the next 5 years, Alarming changes that will have the whole scientific community at aw.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join