It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I met one of the last WWII vets today who witnessed....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
If any Americans really think their freedom was threatened by Japan or Germany, then I can't imagine anyone so naive.

The American mainland was never exposed to any real threat. WWII for America was nothing but a financial investment, and a way to reduce competition.

Japan in the 30's was fast becoming a financial threat to the US, as it was becoming the largest manufacturing country, and financial power, in East Asia. The rest of the world, except Germany, was not doing so well. Japan's exports were a threat to the west.

It's the same as what is happening in West/Central Asia now, they are a financial threat because of their oil. It was invaded to keep that oil from going to market, in order to maintain artificial scarcity. So western oil companies can make more money, and keep the ME from becoming more financially powerful. If the ME dropped the $, and were awash with oil to export, the western oil companies would be screwed, and western capitalists control of the global economy gone.

edit on 3/1/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCurmudgeon
I don't believe I have ever read so much anti-american propoganda and hatred in one thread... but then, I am new here on ATS... lol ...

Stay away from any threads involving Iran because it's becoming the norm here

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CorteZZ

Originally posted by Jace26
reply to post by CorteZZ

Americans are responsible for destroying Hiroshima and Nagasaki and killing hundreds of thousands of civilians, that was less than 70 years ago.

Yet Americans cry when 3000 people die in a false flag attack, no wonder the world hates you.

Your vets are not heros?

How did they fight to save your freedom in WW2? They never fought for Americas freedom they fought for other countries.

Deny ignorance.

I will do this once, and only once.. First of all get your history in order First, before you claim America, just nukes Japan, for sport...

Truman, demanded surrender from the Japanese before we dropped the atom bombs on them, before and after the First bomb....

They refused....

Let me say that again...

they refused..

The Japanese Bombed pearl harbor, in a sneak attack...

Hoping to cripple us and conquer us..

they failed and paid the consequence...

Pay some respect and do not pollute this thread, with your personal idealism of hate towards America, Because when you do not have your history in order it makes you look like a bigot..

Japan, was given a chance to surrender...

They did not...

Don't ever try to make me feel bad for being American, again...

You need to get some knowledge..

speaking of ignorance...

And i guess you must be really proud on how America bombed the Christian Serbs for 90 days straight

and must be really proud what a mess has been left behind in the Balkans.

Japan, was given a chance to surrender...

Japan did try to surrender before the nukes started falling, they were never given the chance.

How did they fight to save your freedom in WW2? They never fought for Americas freedom they fought for other countries.

Did you know thread OP that it was GW Bush Grandfather Prescott Bush i believe that financed Hitler? so what does that say here about that?

The Japanese Bombed pearl harbor, in a sneak attack...

From what i understood the Pentagon knew the attack was going to happen but didn't do nothing and honestly thread op it was nearing the end of the WW2 even the Japanese did try do something they would have surrender it anyway.

Because the Nazi empire was crumbling, so in truth with attack on pearl harbor, they stood no chance against the huge allied forces.

You need to get some knowledge.. speaking of ignorance.

Actually you need to get some knowledge and the real background history of WW2.

dont get me wrong i do respect the veterans but not in a War Mongering way.

edit on 1-3-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CorteZZ

Japan was planning to surrender 2 days after the the attacks occured. They were already defeated, the bombs did not have to be dropped. It was a massive war crime.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

"Actually I agree with your men screwing our women, I guess raping and murdering was an important American value even then?
edit on 1-3-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2012 by Jace26 because: (no reason given)

Are you implying that our troops raped and murdered your women? What an accusation.
They loved our Marines and welcomed us with open arms, and your men hated it.

Still bitter til this day I see.

Keep in mind, I am not dissing Australia at all. You have no respect for our vets or our country, and that is what I'm trying to point out, yet you seem to demand respect in return.
edit on 3-1-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)"

Semper Fi Mac!! From my experience the Aussie women welcome US Marines with open legs. Heck, thats probably why he hates Americans, I bet his little gal ran off with a JarHead. Let this pinko commie scum think what he wants, at the end of the day we know the truth. Thats what drives these commies nuts. By the way I am honored to have visited Pearl Harbor (not Harbour) many many times, including the Arizona memorial, and also was able to assist in maintaining "MIGHTY MO" by holy stoning her deck with volunteers from my company. I stood on the spot where the Japanese threw the towel in. Too bad Chesty wasnt there to knock their teeth in before they signed. They deserved everything they got hit with. When you see the names of the dead on the wall at the Arizona....you KNOW, KNOW, KNOW...that those men did not die in vain in the end. Also my Grandpa kicked nazi butt from north afria up through Italy into Yugoslavia. Tell me he didnt fight for his country. That generation of men would rip your lips off for insulting USA.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Victor03

hahaha! Open legs was the term I should have used. Much better.

I visited Pearl Harbor when I was a kid with my parents and I'd love to visit again now that I can fully appreciate it.

That generation were the toughest SOBs this planet has ever seen and I'm forever grateful for the sacrifices they made for this country.

If Chesty were here, I'm sure he'd have jammed his fist down some throats and ripped out some spines seeing what some of these people are saying about our vets.

Semper Fi!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki

Originally posted by timidgal

CorteZZ, thank you for sharing this with us. We should all be so lucky as to have the privilege of meeting others who incite such a feeling of reverence and humility in us.

It does sound as though the old-timer spun him a line or two though.

I still have questions about those burns/blisters.

You might be right, but to me, the thread was more about the affect it had on the OP and not so much the memories or liberties taken by the gentleman. Even if they're exaggerations, he's someone to whom we should be able to allow such eccentricities and I felt some posters were being insensitive to the OP by not acknowledge his/her emotions about the respect he felt for this man (with or without the burns/blisters) and turning it into what I perceived as yet another opportunity for America bashing which I'm seeing more and more of on the boards in inappropriate spots. Perhaps a female reaction but I am who I am...

I do appreciate and respect the feedback, however.

edit on 3/1/2012 by timidgal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
Yes, I'm aware of the draft.
The cowards were drafted while the brave stood up against it.

What a douchbag comment.

You know, my grandfather was drafted in the US Army. Decided a few extra bucks would be nice and volunteered to be a paratrooper. Jumped into Holland with the 82nd Airborne and was wounded a few days afterwards.

Yep, just a big coward.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n

Originally posted by Jace26

The old man never fought for America, he fought for other countries freedoms, not yours. So why do you continually say he did?
In fact WW2 was fought on every continent except North America and Antarctica.

So would you take offense if I said the same thing could be said about Australia?

Australia only entered WW2 because they were close with Britain. Britain only entered because they had a pact with Poland. So Britain was fighting for Poland's freedom, and by proxy your country was also.

Can you see the hypocrisy here?

Also, can you point out the battles fought on Australian soil?
I don't seem to recall anything besides you being bombed....just like us.

Actually Australians fought for Australia during WW2, sure we had our best armies in the middle east and Europe, but Australians WERE fighting to save Australia.
They were not fighting for britain, even Winston Churchill slammed PM Curtin for withdrawing the AIF to assisst with saving Australia.
So you can't say the same thing about Australias WW2 vets, you can say it about the Vietnam Vets tho because we weren't in danger then.
Japan wanted to annhilate ALL Europeans in Asia, they wanted to create an Asian empire free of Europeans and the largest colony of Europeans in Asia is Australia, so we WERE in danger.

The Kokoda campaign was fought within Australias territory which saw thousands of Australians killed, this was the campaign that turned back the Japanese. Guadalcanal was only instrumental in severing the supply lines, not an actual invasion.
Australia's mainland was bombed hundreds of times, several skirmishes were fought on Australian soil against Japanese raiding parties, some cities were shelled, there are even reports that the Japanese built military ports along the eastern coast.
But the Battle for Australia was a series a battles and events that were directed at saving Australia from invasion.
Heres some videos to tell you the truth.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Thanks for the videos. I didn't know about that.
I'll watch them soon

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n
reply to post by usmc0311

LOL this dude's from Australia and he's bitching about how we justly raped Japan after their preemptive strike?

If it wasn't for our 1st Marines on Guadalcanal (most namely, among other key battles) Australia would have been occupied and annihilated.

Is history not taught in Australia?

p.s. our Marines screwed all their women when they docked in Melbourne afterwards while their troops had their hands full in Europe. u mad jace?
edit on 3-1-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

Actually, it was us Aussies that defended ourselves against the brunt of the Japanese advance. We do get taught our own history at our schools.....in particular a battlefront called the Kokoda Trail. You should look it up, you might learn something about a world history that isnt centred around America!

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Alright, I was trying to back out of this as to not de-rail this thread any further, but I feel I must say something. For starters, OP I am sorry I helped in the derailing process, this was not my intention. This thread was to share your experience with someone you view as a true hero and thank you for that. I also take every opportunity I get to chat with the old war vets. They are some of the greatest people on earth.

As for the debating back and forth over military battles and who did what. Why don't one of us start a thread where we can all post a story about a battle or stories of WWII. That way we can all pay homage to all the heroes who have fought for anyones freedom. We Americans are proud of what our veterans did in WWII just as the Aussies are proud of theirs, and every other participating country is proud of their own. So let's stop arguing and put all our knowledge to good use. What do you say?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Thankyou, plus they're not biased if you know what I mean, they talk about the Americans and the British too.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I know about that. MacArthur was one of the commanders who helped you guys as well. You weren't the only ones involved.
But yeah, what usmc said. We shouldn't derail this any further.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I think you've put it perfectly, great idea mate.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Jace26

Yeah, I think if we all actually talked we would find we all probably carry simalar views. We just let our pride get the best of ourselves. And for US Marines their pride is their biggest hurdle in life, but if the Marine can overcome his pride, he can master the world. I would sense to believe that saying would hold true for just about anyone though. Peace my fellow human beings.
edit on 2/3/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Okay, okay, i don't want to derail this thread, but MacArthur, helping Australia, oh what a #ing joke. He treated Aussies as if we were dogs. He had no care for Australia, only for himself. He sent thousands of Australians to die. Operation Rimau is a perfect example. The Australian Z Special Unit was sent on a mission, which was compromised. The Americans intercepted communications betwwen the Japanese about the incident, yet MacArthur and the other US officers wouldn't do anything to help, not even alert the Australian and British commanders of the mission. Most of the soldiers on that mission were killed/executed.
edit on 2-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I do get a laugh out of the posters here on ATS. Their revisionist writing of the history of World War 2 is always good for a chuckle or two.

Keep up the hard work! In a few years, the entire war will be the fault of the US.

The Japanese had been at war for sometime before 7 Dec 1941. They were fighting the Second Sino-Japanese war since 1937 and actually been fighting the Chinese since 1931 in one little skirmish or another that they instigated. The Second Sino-Japanese war was folded into World War Two.

The Rape of Nanking (which a lot of rocket scientists here on ATS seem to blow off) occurred December 1937.

When things were going the German way in Europe, Japan got uppity and decided to push their luck with European nations in the Far East. The Dutch supplied them oil, but wouldn’t give up the Dutch East Indies. The French allowed them to occupy French Indochina. The US, UK and other Western countries decided that enough was enough and froze their assets and the US cut off their oil.

That left them two choices: Either give up their ambitions in Asia and the war in China (which the Japanese military wasn’t gonna do) or take resources by force.

People forget about the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. The Japanese wanted an Asia with no Western influence. Great idea. Too bad that the Japanese wanted to run the whole show with puppet governments and enslave all of Asia under them.

So, please explain how the war in the Pacific was the fault of the US? Looks like the US and our allies were doing their best to keep the Japanese from taking over and pretty much enslaving everyone in Asia under their yoke.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
reply to post by CorteZZ

Japan was planning to surrender 2 days after the the attacks occured. They were already defeated, the bombs did not have to be dropped. It was a massive war crime.

Yeah but what are war crimes when the US is involved? This is the same nation that kidnaps 11 year olds out of Afghanistan and ships them to the part of Cuba they forcibly occupy, in 2012! You would have expected that sort of behaviour hundreds of years ago, but the US still keeps doing it.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311

As for the debating back and forth over military battles and who did what. Why don't one of us start a thread where we can all post a story about a battle or stories of WWII. That way we can all pay homage to all the heroes who have fought for anyones freedom. We Americans are proud of what our veterans did in WWII just as the Aussies are proud of theirs, and every other participating country is proud of their own. So let's stop arguing and put all our knowledge to good use. What do you say?

..Ya know, I started to that here since that was what I got from reading the OP. That we might gets stories from ww2 vets all over the world.

Then I read the 1st page, and 2nd, etc... Its a good idea and I'd like to see it and participate in it - but I honestly don't think it can happen here at ATS.

Sorry for the interruption - I now return you to the bickering already in progress...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join