It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret of Melatonin, Sleeping and Lucid Dreaming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
**I’ll start this thread off with an ATS disclaimer. This is an information only post, and is not a prescription for any supplement, or diagnosis for any ailment, nor does any of this reflect the opinions, or views of the owners of ATS.

I have tried many (legal) supplements, herbs, and oils over the years and have found many that are very potent and powerful if used correctly. I would like to start sharing what I have found, in my many years of testing. Results may vary from person to person with supplements, but the majority of people I suggested them to have had positive results. In the very near future, I will also post separate threads for additional supplements, what they do, and dosages I have found that work well with myself.

Melatonin is one of the most underutilized supplements out on the market today. It is a wonderful biological clock reset tool, by this I am saying that if you have been off, in your sleep patterns, and/or taking prescription drugs to sleep, Melatonin may be a viable solution to consider.

I discovered Melatonin years ago, when I used to travel allot, I'd bring with me a bottle of 5mg capsules to ward of jet lag. When I got to my destination and I was ready to go to sleep I would take 5 to 10 mg of Melatonin about a half an hour before bedtime, in the morning I would wake up feeling like a million dollars. I would also be reset like a clock to the local time biologically, not matter where I traveled in the world, so I didn’t have that 2 or more days of lethargy. I never really used it for much more than that, but years later I would discover that it would aid me in some of the roughest spots in my life.

I found that 5mg to 10mg of time released Melatonin worked as an incredible sleep-aid, but be careful because never take Melatonin before driving, working or doing anything that you need to be fully awake to do. Realtruth has never been a believer in big pharma, so my philosophies where to find legal supplements that could help me and others, but only if they really worked.

What I discovered when taking Melatonin was a rendering of a deep restful sleep, in times of personal turmoil, or if my sleep patterns got thrown off somehow. What I also found was an incredible array of Lucid, Lucid dreams. I am a lucid dreamer by nature, but with Melatonin it went way, over the top. Some of the lucid dreams that I had were so real, that waking hours paled in comparison and it took many hours to acclimate to my waking reality.

Another amazing discovering was that it almost completely eradicated my symptoms of SAD, in the winter, so basically no winter blues.

I have recommended Melatonin to some friends recently and got some incredible stories back, not just ones of restful sleep, but that the individuals had experience multiple lucid dreams. What was so amazing about this is that a few of the people I know had never experienced remembering dreams, or for that matter been completely lucid while dreaming. The excitement in their voices where testament to what they had experienced with Melatonin, and the hours of dialog I had to listen to was my punishment for recommending the supplement.

Now the internet’s claims how Melatonin works. Please also note that it effects the pineal gland, and the pineal has been discussed, in great depth, physically and metaphysically on ATS. I would recommend that anyone interested read the full Wiki link, as it has a very good pool of information and facts on Melatonin.

en.wikipedia.org...

Melatonin i/ˌmɛləˈtoʊnɪn/, also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine,[1] is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants, and microbes.[2][3] In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing theentrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.[4]
Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors,[5] while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant,[6] with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.[7]
In mammals, melatonin is biosynthesized in four enzymatic steps from the essential dietary amino acid tryptophan, with serotonin produced at the second step. Melatonin is secreted into the blood by the pineal gland in the brain. Known as the "hormone of darkness", it is secreted in darkness in both day-active (diurnal) and night-active (nocturnal) animals.[8]

Known Side effects of Melatonin from the Mayo Clinic.

*NOTE: Long term use is not recommended*

www.mayoclinic.com...

The most common melatonin side effects include:
• Daytime sleepiness
• Dizziness
• Headaches
Other, less common melatonin side effects might include abdominal discomfort, mild anxiety, irritability, confusion and short-lasting feelings of depression.
In addition, melatonin supplements can interact with various medications, including:
• Blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants)
• Medications that suppress the immune system (immunosuppressants)
• Diabetes medications
• Birth control pills

If you enjoyed or found this thread useful please let me know and I will continue with the supplements, oils and herbs I have found extremely effective.

My next thread will be mild depression, virtually eliminated with natural herbs and a single vitamin.

Peace Out,

RT
edit on 29-2-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Mar 2 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed typo

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Good thread. I take melatonin quite often.

Did you mean that it helps with your SAD, instead of SARS?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thanks!

This seems like it would be a really interesting series for me. I too suffer from some mild depression so I will be looking for your next thread. It also seems to get worse during the winter months (for various reasons).

One thing you dont mention is how often to use it. I assume it isn't something you take terribly often as it is not recommended for long term use. But how would you recommend someone who has never used melatonin before begin to experiment with it and see if it is a good fit?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by calmbutwary
Good thread. I take melatonin quite often.

Did you mean that it helps with your SAD, instead of SARS?

lmao!

Typing fast and not proofing. Thank you, since we only get 2 hours of our so called 4 hour window.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have been taking melatonin for 2 years.
I was having severe migraines. I mean totally debilitating blinding ones that lasted for about a day and a half and included vomiting and intense sensitivity to light. I would be bedridden during these and they were having a serious effect on my family.

I saw 2 different doctors about it and they both did the same exact thing. "Here..have some birth control pills and an antidepressant." Both of which, I might add can be dangerous to me as I have smoked for almost 20 years.

I was desperately googling migraines and happened upon a study that showed migraine sufferers tend to have low melatonin levels. I could not find any evidence of serious side effects so I gave it a try. I have not had ONE migraine since I started taking it.

The Therapeutic Potential of Melatonin in Migraines LINK

It's been like a miracle for me.
Good thread. S&F
edit on 29-2-2012 by Neysa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Nice thread, I take 5MG of melatonin every night to help me finally get to sleep.
I take it along with OTC sleep aids though because it alone just isn't enough to do the job. (I swear, rhino tranqs probably wouldn't take me out.
) I've noticed that I have quite a few dreams a night which isn't odd for me at all but I also have stranger dreams. That's not always a bad thing, sometime's it's a positive experience. The only problem with more deeply fabricated dreams however is that my nightmares are that much more extreme/insane. Whenever I do have nightmares, they're just not pretty.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by underduck
One thing you dont mention is how often to use it. I assume it isn't something you take terribly often as it is not recommended for long term use. But how would you recommend someone who has never used melatonin before begin to experiment with it and see if it is a good fit?

I would suggest 5mg per night and see how it works, dosages can always be up'd to 10 mg later. Some people only require 3mg. I highly recommend time-released also, as it simulates how the body would naturally release its own Melatonin.

Try it for 2 to 3 weeks, with the 3rd week slowly tapering off to bring your natural cycle back on duty. Take a week or two off and see how your body responds.

My next thread will cover a supplement that can follow the ending of the Melatonin regiment with a day time supplement. Actually it will be a combination of two, but I have found it works incredible for mild depression. And have gotten great feedback from friends that swear by it now.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I find it interesting how some can get off of it and sleep just fine. I know that if I were to have to stop taking it, I wouldn't sleep much at all. My sleeplessness started in my early teens and I had just all but lost the ability to fall asleep at night and even now if I try to go no medications it doesn't work out for anyone very well. I know I don't have a problem though because if I lie down for a nap during the day, I get to sleep just fine without the use of medicines to get me there.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hey RT!

I have heard a lot about melatonin and I took a melatonin sleep aid drink when I had to fly internationally but I felt completely hung over and lethargic from it. I didn't have a good sleep either. It was like my body was asleep but my mind was still awake. It was really weird and I didn't like the feeling at all.

So my question is, is that normal? Is it better in capsule form?

I have a hard time sleeping but i do use a natural herbal remedy for sleeping, can't discuss here due to T&C but it works. I have had insomnia issues most of my adult life and that comes from my previous work schedule I think. I have always been one to get about 5hrs of sleep and if I sleep more I feel like crap when I wake up.

What are your thoughts on Valerian Root? I took that awhile back but again they bothered my stomach badly and I had to stop. I will say Valerian Root was awesome! If it didn't bother my stomach I'd still take it. I would take two pills before bed and I'd slowly fall asleep and I'd be extremely rested when I woke up, nothing like how i felt with the melatonin.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Hey RT!

I have heard a lot about melatonin and I took a melatonin sleep aid drink when I had to fly internationally but I felt completely hung over and lethargic from it. I didn't have a good sleep either. It was like my body was asleep but my mind was still awake. It was really weird and I didn't like the feeling at all.

So my question is, is that normal? Is it better in capsule form?

I have a hard time sleeping but i do use a natural herbal remedy for sleeping, can't discuss here due to T&C but it works. I have had insomnia issues most of my adult life and that comes from my previous work schedule I think. I have always been one to get about 5hrs of sleep and if I sleep more I feel like crap when I wake up.

What are your thoughts on Valerian Root? I took that awhile back but again they bothered my stomach badly and I had to stop. I will say Valerian Root was awesome! If it didn't bother my stomach I'd still take it. I would take two pills before bed and I'd slowly fall asleep and I'd be extremely rested when I woke up, nothing like how i felt with the melatonin.

Mblah,

Two things about your experience with Melatonin. Strongly suggest a time-released version

Most likely your the kind of person that needs 2-3mg dose, if you don't opt to use time-released. Most capsules are not time-released meaning when you take them if floods your entire body/system all at once, not good IMO. Our bodies naturally release Melatonin between 2am and 4am, while we sleep and as a person ages the levels decrease.

Valerian Root is a great nerve tonic for almost anyone. 300 to 600mg for sleep and lower dosages for prolonged usage 50mg to 100mg for anxiety or panic attacks.

I would say for your stomach it was the strength of the dosage you took, typically if you take an herb always start with half of the recommended dosage. One can always increase dosages, more is not always better, also check to see if the herb can be bought in a encapsulated/buffered formula, this will help with stomach sensitivities.

The best combination sleep aid I have ever used with Valerian in it was "Sleep Tight Factors" which also contained skullcap and other supplements to aid physical relaxation.

www.lorisnatural.com...

Good luck miss hyper.

edit on 1-3-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Great thread. Can't wait to read your next one. I have used Melatonin a few times mainly when I was fighting Pneumonia to help me sleep.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Neysa

I'll second that!

I was having migraine problems myself at least once a week, Sometimes they would last for 2 or 3 days!

Now they are a lot less severe and only last about a half a day if I take half of a 3mg tablet with some non-aspirin OTC pain reliever.

Just recently started taking it nightly to help me fall asleep faster.

Can't take more than half though, It really makes me groggy the next day...

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have been taking melatonin for months now. I have always had difficulty sleeping, both falling asleep and staying asleep. After I started taking melatonin I started sleeping much better. I have added Valerian root and Skullcap as well to help relax my body a bit.

Adding to my difficulty in sleeping I work shift work. I will be on day shift a few days then be off a few days and go on night shift a few days. This will screw up a normal persons sleep enough, but if you have trouble sleeping as is you do not have much choice but to look for a sleep aid.

I have noticed that after taking melatonin I started dreaming more often. I would rarely dream before that, possibly due to the fact that I never really got sleep. Now though if I do wake up (animals or son waking me up) I tend to go back to sleep pretty easily.

I do feel much more rested and even energetic since taking it as well. I recommend it to anyone with difficulty sleeping.

Raist

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
*skimming through this thread*
Yeah... I did melatonin for YEARS. It did not do anything. I have no internal clock, and apparently no need for sleep. The doctors gave up with twilight sedation attempts on me - the only way to knock me out is to the point where I am no longer breathing.
They keep coming up with new pills for erectile disfunction and new serums to regrow eyelashes... why not work on finding drugs that actually matter? Oh... that's right... because money is the key and rich people like sex and hairy eyes, apparently.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I'm trying to get my pineal gland functional, but will start taking melatonin at night, starting tonight... I wonder if I will have some nice dreams.

If we are all one conscious, could I push my consciousness into another human and possess them? Not that I'd like to, just wondering...

new topics

top topics

join