It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit to be broke in April

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yes, I am shocked too, but what do you know!

Detroit running out of cash

City has $76M on hand, could be broke by April, according to figures on website

The city is fast running out of money, with only $76 million reported on hand last month, and could be headed toward payless paydays this spring unless union concessions and other cuts are implemented soon, new financial numbers show.

The cash flow numbers as of Jan. 27 also show the city would be $46.8 million in the hole at the end of the fiscal year on June 30. The city would officially run out of cash in mid-to-late April, the figures posted on the city's website predict, a fiscal reality that first prompted the governor to consider sending in an emergency manager.

Emergency manager : unelected bureaucrat... so if your government screws ya over (which is the plan), well then you won't get a government, you'll get an unelected goon from the federal government appointed to run your city... and if he screws ya over too, well too bad!

Ain't this a nice plan the feds have cooked up to take over cities? Detroit will be the first one... when the economy fully implodes, it will be almost all cities that will go bankrupt... and unelected feds will take over these as their own personal fiefdoms.

Shall be fun to watch... NOT.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
We just can't get a break here in Michigan, can we?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

it would take a very long time for all cities to go bankrupt.

the city of detroit has been dying for years... houses there cost as low as 9000$

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The rest of us here in Michigan will pay for it one way or another. Our wonderful govornor will find something new to tax. When in doubt theres alway the smokers to go after.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

And there was me thinking you weren't serious. I just found a nice one for 4000 that would cost at least 100,000-150,000 here if not more. Is it maybe also due to the neighbourhood being "not so nice" or just cos no one has any money to buy anymore?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

The neighborhood.

Hell back in 2009 I think... there was something like 10 000 houses/apartments at 500$ each... well guess what, not even 30% of those were sold.
Well nobody sane wants to live in those hell holes... but still.

it would take a very long time for all cities to go bankrupt.

I'm not so sure. A whole lot of cities are already on the brink... if the dollar implodes, cities won't last long.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thanks for clarifying. I guess it would be like living in Crack/Meth Head City with lots of crime, hookers, pimps and bad clothes. Yeah, think I'll pass on that.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well Op,,,,,,,,,

What do you suggest? The Fed give them money every month so they can continue pissing it away?

I implore you to look up city council meetings on youtube for the City of Detroit and listen and see the people entrusted to run the city and I think you just might understand why the city needs to go into someone else's care.

Thee people running that city are at the least incompetent and complete idiots.

Handing millions over to them is like throwing it in the trash.

They have absolutely no idea how to run a candy store let alone what once was a world class city that the entire earth envied.

If someone could look up those youtube vids of Detroit city council members arguing and posting them I would appreciste it.
I don't know how to do it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohyouknow

Hell, you guys can't give yourself a break! Ya'll voted for change 3 years ago. Little did you know that it was going to be literal change instead of dollars. To top it all off, you guys voted for Mitt last night! He is just like Obama! You deserve what you get for not learning from your mistakes.....PURE INSANITY!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoSoup4U

Hell, you guys can't give yourself a break! Ya'll voted for change 3 years ago. Little did you know that it was going to be literal change instead of dollars. To top it all off, you guys voted for Mitt last night! He is just like Obama! You deserve what you get for not learning from your mistakes.....PURE INSANITY!

Insanity it is. Micheal Moore is telling Democrats to vote Santorum as is CNN...
edit on 29-2-2012 by dreamingawake because: edit

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
detroit should just be burned and rebuilt. i live close to it and the population has dropped so much and its such a large area that their is no way they will fix anything unless they condense the population work on the smaller area and start to expand again.Such a shame wish i would of got to see her in her glory day

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoSoup4U

The federal government has nothing to do with why Detroit is going broke. Detroit's going broke from years of missmanagement by corrupt local officals. If you want to touch on the red/blue issue. Why is it the states that constently vote red are some of the poorest in the nation?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by VBarbarino

Here you go. For your viewing entertainment. I present the best of the Detroit City Council.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Detroit is the next social experiment of your nightmares. The eventual total shut down of Detroit city will result in a mass migration (desertion) out of the city thus giving a precedent for the first north american city purchased by a private entity.

You watch.

Whos gonna help the former residents of this diseased little appendage of the United States? Are any of you going to jump off your couch and join a resistance against such a decision? You from Texas or you from Kentucky? Nope.

The entire of the city will be purged sanitized and re organized. But what comes after all that is even more interesting... dun dun dun

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

Detroit's already being vacated. Since the housing market crashed housing has become a lot more affordable in the outer areas of Detroit. I now have a lot of degenerates are moving into my nieghbor hood. Thier feeing the city like rats. Theres nothing left to steal in Detroit so they come to my neighborhood.

new topics

join