It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul Supporters: A What If Situation Question.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by circlemaker

Also, VP is one of the best places to be in as a potential future president. (wasn't Bush Sr. Reagan's VP?)

Yes, after a stint running the CIA. Also, nobody ever mentions the fact that the Hinkley's and Bushes were/are family friends who had dinner at each others houses. Who would have benefited from Reagan's assasination not long after entering office? That's right, the VP Mr CIA Bush (come to think of it there's something in there about JFK and LBJ and Bush was in Dallas the day before...hmmm...).

Anyhow, I think Ron has consistently denied that he would seek or accept the VP for either himself or Rand.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

Not only that, but unlike Palin she's actually qualified for the job:

She was a state legislator for over seven years, a small business owner, former Executive Director of Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs and a Navy veteran.

(condoleezza rice of course would, by far, be the best choice.. but after the GOP threw her under the bus I doubt' she'd ever run for the GOP)
edit on 2/29/2012 by Rockpuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I'd vote for her.

In the Navy she started as an E-1 and made it all the way to 0-4. That is no easy feat.

Hopefully the GOP will make a wise choice when picking their VP candidate. I am from the Spacecoast of Florida so I am quite biased but I do think she would be a great choice, especially if Barry dumps Biden for Hillary.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jrod

But we know the GOP. Run by buffoons. They will pick another pretentious white guy, undoubtedly a lawyer, someone completely disconnected with the average American to run with Romney who's likewise completely detached from the average American.

Then Barry wins again..

And poor Rockpuck pays more taxes..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
It will never happen. First.. it'd be like night and day, they are ideological polar opposites.

I would not be the first time. Reagan and Bush were not close, either politically or socially. Biden had criticised Obama during the primaries. I think Romney, and the party as a whole, would have to make some sort of concession to the small government proponents that helped them in the 2010 election. Rand Paul is young, dynamic and principled. He would be, in my opinion, a perfect counterpoint to the stiff and chronically out of touch Romney.

Second the GOP will find a black VP candidate, preferably a black female candidate for Romney to run with.

I hope not. I am just not that cynical yet, I would like to think more thought would go into the choice.

But let's assume it is a Romney/Rand ticket.. yeah.. I'd probably vote for them. Only because I'm terrified of new taxes by Barry in his second term ..

Aversion to new taxes is a good enough reason to me.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I hope not. I am just not that cynical yet, I would like to think more thought would go into the choice.

I wasn't either. Until I saw McCain, someone I had long thought as sincere, become a corporate tool while running for office. Then saw the GOP choose Palin, a nobody from Alaska, dumb as rocks, disconnected, annoying as hell. They did it because Obama was black, and they knew white women were going to vote for him (which the did..) so they chose an attractive white politician from a conservative state coupled with McCains military past in an effort to beat Obama/Biden.

Obviously it failed miserably because as I said.. McCain became a tool, Palin a buffoon.

The GOP has blatantly expressed with their backing of Romney as their champion, who is a Centrist RINO, that they only care about beating Obama. Nothing more.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

I've posted this before. JFK and LBJ didn't exactly agree on policy issues either.

I feel like with the establishment behind Mitt, the nomination is his. Who he/they pick as a running mate is a big question mark.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The GOP has blatantly expressed with their backing of Romney as their champion, who is a Centrist RINO, that they only care about beating Obama. Nothing more.

Well, for arguements sake, the beating of Obama would be the main objective. I do understand where you are coming from with the ways not justifying the means (plus the results sucked).

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Rand Paul explained this pretty well. I don't think he's planning on being Romney's VP buddy. All this speculation is over a mis-represented story.

I think the story kind of got misrepresented, because you know when I was asked, every time I’m asked these kind of questions, these are hypothetical questions, I always say you know what? I still have my first choice in the race and that’s Ron Paul. My first choice would be a Ron Paul presidency and my first choice for a position would be an unofficial adviser to a Ron Paul presidency…

But when they push and push and push, and say ‘What about Romney? Would you do it?’ I mentioned that it would be an honor, and what I meant by that is sort of like if you were nominated for an academy award, what’s your response? You’d say “It’s be an honor to be nominated’ and so I think it would be silly for me not to say that if anybody considered me that I’d be honored by it, but I think it was somewhat overblown, it sort of fits into this sort of cabal that people write about…

“VP” Rand Paul and the Imaginary Romney/Paul Connection

As far as the Romney/ Ron Paul alliance myth...Dough Wead puts that little fire out as well:

edit on 29-2-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I feel like with the establishment behind Mitt, the nomination is his. Who he/they pick as a running mate is a big question mark.

That was kind of my point with this thread. Marco Rubio also gets his name tossed about with this debate, but I am very intrigued by the possibility of Rand Paul as the Vice Presidential choice. He has strong convictions and would be a very powerful counterpoint to Romney. It would also be interesting to see him in a debate with Biden which may make for, me anyway, compelling television viewing.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
Rand Paul explained this pretty well. I don't think he's planning on being Romney's VP buddy.

He may not be 'planning' anything but if the opportunity comes knocking he may very well say 'yes'. It affords him an excellent chance to appear on the national stage and gives him instant and lasting recognition.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

Rand Paul explained this pretty well. I don't think he's planning on being Romney's VP buddy.

He may not be 'planning' anything but if the opportunity comes knocking he may very well say 'yes'. It affords him an excellent chance to appear on the national stage and gives him instant and lasting recognition.

I doubt it. Lots of his fathers supporters may blindly support him in 2016 if he runs for office just based on the fact that he is Ron Paul's son. If he got on a Romney ticket, he would lose most of that support, discouraging all anti-establiment voters for many years to come. He would destroy everything his father has stood for.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

If he got on a Romney ticket, he would lose most of that support, discouraging all anti-establiment voters for many years to come.

Just because you are on the ticket does not mean you have to kow-tow to every plank in the platform. He can be his own man and still be a very viable Vice Presidential candidate. He does not have to blindly ascribe to Romney, or the Party's, politcal sentiments. He can advocate his own position and thereby set himself apart and show that he has true moral integrity.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   

If he got on a Romney ticket, he would lose most of that support, discouraging all anti-establiment voters for many years to come.

Just because you are on the ticket does not mean you have to kow-tow to every plank in the platform. He can be his own man and still be a very viable Vice Presidential candidate. He does not have to blindly ascribe to Romney, or the Party's, politcal sentiments. He can advocate his own position and thereby set himself apart and show that he has true moral integrity.

Perhaps, but I don't think most his support base would really care. Besids that, VP's have little to no power, he would have barely any influence on anything.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Perhaps, but I don't think most his support base would really care. Besids that, VP's have little to no power, he would have barely any influence on anything.

I disagree. They can be quite influential as evidenced by Lyndon Johnson and Dick Cheney. It also affords the possibility of running for the White House with the inherent high-value visibility that the office inbues.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

It would also be interesting to see him in a debate with Biden which may make for, me anyway, compelling television viewing.

I got a hunch that Obama will be dumping Biden, especially once we have a nominee and Barry's polling numbers start to go down. I am thinking Hillary will be the VP candidate, maybe a wild card. Obviously I am quite ignorant when it comes to politics and that is just a hunch.

I threw Jennifer Carrol's name out there as a possible VP pick for Mitt earlier in this thread. I am almost tempted to start a thread about her as a VP possibility just to see if any of the MSM writers catch it and decide to run with it. Wouldn't be the first time they got some ideas from ATS.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This makes absolutely no sense.

Any administration that isn't a Paul administration would completely SPOIL Paul's name.

And that is even if this scenario plays out, WHICH IT WON'T.

So let's stop speculating.

If you want Ron Paul to be president, get out there and organize.

or phone from home.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Don't you think it's weird that ATS has become a growing ground for Ron Paul voters? I'm not saying it's anything bad but it seems that ATS is promoting people to vote for Ron Paul, and the ignorance of media not showing much of Ron Paul also tells people to look for him and his proposals. Remember what Obama said and what he did? Who says that Ron Paul wouldn't do the same if he become president?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
Remember what Obama said and what he did? Who says that Ron Paul wouldn't do the same if he become president?

Do you genuinely think you're the first to ask that question?

www.votesmart.org

Look up Ron Paul's congressional record and you tell me if Ron Paul says what he does and does what he says.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   

I disagree. They can be quite influential as evidenced by Lyndon Johnson and Dick Cheney. It also affords the possibility of running for the White House with the inherent high-value visibility that the office inbues.

Well, you could push the Johnson/Cheney argument till you're blue and you may have some small valid arguments there, but I seriously doubt it would do anything to persuade the majority of Paul supporters. Supporting the establishment agenda in any capacity pretty much shows the true nature of any politician. Paul supporters are VERY aware of this fact and I doubt any supposed plot to rebel against the president to appeal to the anti-establishment folks as VP would do much to change that position.
edit on 1-3-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join