It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea for a bill: If a member of Congress supports a war, his/her kids go first

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

You're right. Why should you?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am a big supporter of - if you decide to have a war -- the draft is reinstated and taxes go up enough to cover the war + 20%. If the country citizens don't have any skin in the game -- they totally ignore the war or its consequences. Remember Irag. The draft certainly caused some friction during Viet Nam -- this last go round at a vainglorious excursion was barely noticeable to the US population.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damrod
Nice idea but I will one better it...have a Constitutional amendment that war or any military announcement can only take place if there is an immediate tax increase of 25 percent on the top 25% financial earners in America...see how often we go to war then...NOT!
edit on 2/29/2012 by Damrod because: (no reason given)

25%? I say 75%. Let them bleed to pay for their wars.

And I agree with sending their little entitled brats off to war. Instead of getting free rides to Harvard, Yale, or wherever because mommy or daddy is a crooked politico alum, send them out to die like dogs in the middle east

We sit and coddle these people when we should be bashing their skulls in with axes.

edit on 1-3-2012 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by spyder550
I am a big supporter of - if you decide to have a war -- the draft is reinstated and taxes go up enough to cover the war + 20%. If the country citizens don't have any skin in the game -- they totally ignore the war or its consequences. Remember Irag. The draft certainly caused some friction during Viet Nam -- this last go round at a vainglorious excursion was barely noticeable to the US population.

This is nonsense. The people who will be drafted will be the poor and middle class, while the children of the elite will be given exemptions

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave

Originally posted by spyder550

This is nonsense. The people who will be drafted will be the poor and middle class, while the children of the elite will be given exemptions

Well there you go I am open to negotiations!! Though 20% is the absolute floor.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Or you know, don't join the military if you are not prepared for the risks. I don't like seeing Americans die either and it really bugs me that what are now kids in my eyes are getting shot, but seriously. You join you know the risks.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Great idea!

Why don't we bring back slavery while we are at it.
Because right now we have an all volunteer military.

Funny how it is always liberal democrats who are in favor of bringing back the draft.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It is a choice if you sign up or not. If the situation in your country is so bad, that you HAVE to go to the frontline, because "there are no jobs" out there, you should consider emigration. You can always come back, if the situation improves.

Originally posted by Domo1
Or you know, don't join the military if you are not prepared for the risks. I don't like seeing Americans die either and it really bugs me that what are now kids in my eyes are getting shot, but seriously. You join you know the risks.

What 18 year old knows the risk? They probably grew up watching band of brothers, where the brave americans killed dozens and dozens of Ind I mean Germans, while losing only one or two of their own in return. Their parents should know though.
edit on 1-3-2012 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Carsellar -
I was subject to the draft. Don't want a draft -- don't start stupid wars - that is the whole point of this exercise. Your point is lets have a war because someone else will fight it for me and I can cheer out side. This liberal is saying that war costs and those costs need to be born by every one!

Your concept of why liberals want a draft is really wrong..
edit on 1-3-2012 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm sick and tired of seeing kids going off to war and being killed for interests that are arguably against those of the average US citizen, and only support those of the big moguls. So I have an idea that could solve this: mandatory service for the children (above 18) of members of Congres. And not just mandatory service. Their kids get priority, meaning they are among the first chosen to serve. And if a member of Congress supports or votes for a war, make sure their kids are on the frontlines.

So -- force a person to sign a contract and die because their parent(s) (whom are their own person) serve in Congress and authorize the use of force (or declare war; though....we know that doesn't happen). So much for liberty loving and freedom eh?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I can understand where you're coming from OP. You're reasoning out of anger though. We sign up knowing the risk of war. If they want to abuse what we sign up for, then unfortunately they will. We have faith that we will be fighting for the right reasons. It is not our job to decide who we fight and why, it is only our job to do the fighting. It's up to the people of the country to be responsible for who makes it into Congress, who the President is, and to stand up against them when something is wrong. If the people let it happen, the military will keep being used for the wrong purposes. Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because we choose to sign up to protect this country doesn't mean someone, regardless if their parents are helping to call the shots, should be forced into doing it if it's not something they want to do. That's not what this country is about, and we can't lose sight of what our great country was founded on.
edit on 3-2-12 by reaxi0n because: typo

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thanks,OP for giving me the oppurtunity to go you one(or two) better. Leave the kids out of this, maybe they're still young enough to salvage by example.However, since it is Mom or Dad's idea, they should be embedded in a front line unit for the Duration. When that unit's rotation comes up, the rep stays and attaches to their replacement unit.
As far as declaring war, no more U.N. pansyfied police actions, that is what has ruined the military reputation of the U.S. If we are going to expend the personell and material in a war, let it be a real no holds barred war to win. And when we have rightously kicked their butts, we come home. No re-building stuff better than what they had and being hated for it. Then there will be an incentive to leave us alone. Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'.
Oh, yeah and tellthe U.N. to take a hike.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthedownlow
HOW ABOUT- Just end the draft? Oh, the draft is over? Does that mean that mean that the soldiers join, knowing that they could fight in a war? It would be a really poor idea to leverage the fate of our country with the children of those in power.

The Draft is an old school way of recruiting soldiers and is obsolete these days. It causes a lot of problems recruiting soldiers who don't want to fight in the first place.

It's much easier to just pump the fear of not having job security to the masses, and if they want to live they will sign up in droves. Combine this with a bad economic situation, and the draft is no longer required.

I'm all for the children of congressmen going first. If they are prepared to sacrifice their own kids for the cause, at least they must believe in it then.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
So you basically want to create a draft that is anything but a draft in name, and one that is highly discriminatory in nature.

I wouldn't support such a draft as I am against drafts except when urgently needed. And i don't mean in a situation like Vietnam. I mean in situations like WW II. I am also vehemently against discrimination.

Serving the military must be a liberty, that means allowing people to make their own choice if they want to serve or not. That is what life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is all about, allowing people to make their own life choices.

These people may hypocrites, of course. But that's what America is all about.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join