It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Idea for a bill: If a member of Congress supports a war, his/her kids go first

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm sick and tired of seeing kids going off to war and being killed for interests that are arguably against those of the average US citizen, and only support those of the big moguls. So I have an idea that could solve this: mandatory service for the children (above 18) of members of Congres. And not just mandatory service. Their kids get priority, meaning they are among the first chosen to serve. And if a member of Congress supports or votes for a war, make sure their kids are on the frontlines.

As the leaders of our country, they need to set the example. They have no issue sending other people's kids off to die so the rich can be richer, but what if it was their own kids? I'd imagine it would create a VERY different situation. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if they want a war, they should want it so much that they are sending their own kids off to serve in dangerous conditions. If they are reluctant to, that says something right there.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I like the idea in principle but it wouldn't be fair to their children, who are individuals not necessarily tied to their parents except by birth.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
or them themself's start the crusade

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

yeahhh like the above said. two wrongs dont make a right :/

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna
I like the idea in principle but it wouldn't be fair to their children, who are individuals not necessarily tied to their parents except by birth.

Good point, but I'm just trying to think of a way to hold them more accountable for the war they wage. :/
edit on 29-2-2012 by mossme89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
HOW ABOUT- Just end the draft? Oh, the draft is over? Does that mean that mean that the soldiers join, knowing that they could fight in a war? It would be a really poor idea to leverage the fate of our country with the children of those in power.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Believe it or not, there are people who actually support the idea of the United States using its military might to go to foreign countries and stop people, forces, armies who are a threat to the U.S. or the relative peace of a region, or are killing masses of its citizens.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I think if they vote to go to war, they should also be on the frontine. Buncha lazy fat bought out bastards might think twice then =P

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna

Yeah, but you could also argue that those same children have benefited from their parent being in Congress. And the concept does put some serious pressure on Congress the next time they think about declaring war. The problem is, we haven't HAD a formal war declaration for a very long time. Instead, we have special interests guiding military use, and abusing the power of the White House to send troops wherever they want. Or wherever the UN tells them too.
edit on Wed Feb 29th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I was just saying that on another post!

To make it fair maybe they SHOULD bring back the draft. Everyone gives up a kid to the military. We each share the burden.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineFem

To make it fair maybe they SHOULD bring back the draft. Everyone gives up a kid to the military. We each share the burden.

Why should we all be forced to fight wars we don't want?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
How about the warmongers take it out to the parking lot instead of us fighting their battles.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89

Originally posted by DivineFem

Why should we all be forced to fight wars we don't want?

I'm not fighting any war for the benefit of the ultra wealthy feudalist lords.
Not happening.

And yes, I agree that we should find a way to make it so that Congress members (and the president) have to give up something precious to them to vote for war.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
What should happen is that those who vote for the war should have to spend their terms in the warzone until the wars are over. Maybe if they had to make their decisions while under threat of attack, they might choose more wisley. I agree with others that we cannot punish their children but they should have to live the cost of war first hand. I say set them up in offices in the shock trauma centers on the forward operating base. OP, As a former military member, I am with you. I am tired of watching good men and women being sent off to die in these wars and something must be done.

link   
This is an excellent idea. If their own kids were put into the line of fire then maybe they wouldn't be so eager to send other peoples kids to die for other countries.

link   

Actually this is exactly what I have said to my son. When they are so strong in their belief that they are willing to possibly sacrifice their own children (and yes right there in the danger zone) then I might be more convinced they are going to war for something they believe is ethical. It would take a whole lot to ever convince me. I also think locking the top notches in a room until matters can be resolved amongst themselves is a far more ethical approach. If it came down to their own life they may significantly improve negotiation skills in key areas.

I have no faith in the legal system, governments or TPTB, I believe we are fed lie upon lie and deceived every which way. I hope my son never considers joining any force.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Nice idea ..if this bill is passed ..US will never go to war again

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I say our wars should be fought like how it happens in high school. You (the president) have an issue with some other leader, and you two fight it out until someone gives up. That works IMO, I mean unless the war was actually about something that made sense haha or had a good reason. (which oh so rarely happens

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I'm sick and tired of seeing kids going off to war and being killed for interests that are arguably against those of the average US citizen, and only support those of the big moguls. So I have an idea that could solve this: mandatory service for the children (above 18) of members of Congres. And not just mandatory service. Their kids get priority, meaning they are among the first chosen to serve. And if a member of Congress supports or votes for a war, make sure their kids are on the frontlines.

As the leaders of our country, they need to set the example. They have no issue sending other people's kids off to die so the rich can be richer, but what if it was their own kids? I'd imagine it would create a VERY different situation. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if they want a war, they should want it so much that they are sending their own kids off to serve in dangerous conditions. If they are reluctant to, that says something right there.

I understand your sentiment OP, but I have a better idea; how about all the congressmen and leaders that vote to support a war get to go to the front lines them self and inspect them until the conflict is over.

It's one thing that always bothered me about the modern chicken hawk leaders, they always launch wars and then sit at home reading intel reports and "pushing buttons" You can say a lot of things about the injustice and tyranny of early monarchies and leaders, but at least they had the guts to go to the battlefield and watch their troops fight first hand and risk their lives as well.

Anyway just my opinion.

edit on 29-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typos

edit on 29-2-2012 by prisoneronashipoffools because: typo

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Nice idea but I will one better it...have a Constitutional amendment that war or any military announcement can only take place if there is an immediate tax increase of 25 percent on the top 25% financial earners in America...see how often we go to war then...NOT!
edit on 2/29/2012 by Damrod because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join