It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I get sleep Paralysis?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I think the only way to induce a paralysis episode s to be prone to having them to begin with. When i was having them i just had to think about them and like clockwork the full blown paralysis would start.

First you feel like someone is in the room with you, this seems to be part and parcel to sleep paralysis. Then you realize you cannot move, you force yourself to move...why? because that is the natural reaction. The auditory aspect sometimes kicks in and there must be some hallucinating but that is part of a bad experience so when you are feeling things moving around you and hearing them AND you cannot move, talk, scream, open your eyes no matter how hard you try it can be very frightening.

I think it all ties into a humans greatest fear of loss of control and at the same time feeling a presence. First time i had one was at around 18 and continued for around 20 years but had a break from 18 to mid 20s. When my GF broke up with me at mid 20s and they came back so i can attest to them being stress related and admittedly there may be something happening that goes beyond what we are used to as far as human capabilities BUT to be honest i seriously doubt astral projection is possible. I dont want to come off as making myself out to be an authority because every one is different in one way or another but have to admit my experiences are very similar to other accounts i have read, read on the internet, and it has helped me because then i realized it was not demonic possession, because you will actually believe this as a possibility regardless of your beliefs because they can be very intense.

To want this to happen is basically asking for a sleep disorder. Believe me, i have had multiple in the same night. Paralysis...wake up...paralysis...wake up and i learned how to solve them or at least alleviate them a great deal.

The last ines i had were starting to get physical. Meaning i would feel my body vibrate in a way that i could never do naturally. I especially felt my head and jaw vibrating and it is a harsh deep vibration, down deep in your bones. Still, cannot see astral/OBE as any possibility.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
After being plagued by Sleep Paralysis for about a month or two, I can honestly tell you it's nothing special...

Besides the overbearing feeling of impending doom and the instinctual fear of not being in control, it's nothing astral whatsoever. Just the chemical that prevents constant movement during sleep hasnt worn off yet.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Has no one on here had a good experience with sleep paralysis? I've seen things that are friendly in nature, and feel at peace.

OP, It's not all bad, don't be put off by any of the comments on here, you'll be fine.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I've suffered with sleep paralysis for over thirty years.
Believe me. I've had some terrible experiences with it.

I find it happens to me when I have a lack of sleep over a period of a few days of hard physical labour.
When i have them, it seems my mind is awake but my body is asleep.
I've practiced Astral travel unsuccessfully but I don't think sleep paralysis would help in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

As mentioned, it's not a "fun" experience... But, one way that you might be able to induced sleeping paralysis is to trick your body into believe that your asleep.

Lay still in bed and do not move.. Your brain sends "move" messages to your body to see if you move, if you don't move your brain will assume that you are sleeping and shut down.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Sleep paralysis is really frightening, when i saw this thread my first though was "why would anyone wish for that awful and helples feeling for themselfs"

Im mid twenties and had it twice, if i recall on the same month somewhere middle of last year.

It is that terrible feeling of indeed someone binding you down when you know you are awake but you
cant move or make any noise no matter how loud or hard you try.

Both times i did manage to pull myself out of it with a simple childrens song, singing it to myself so hard and loud in
my mind that what ever is trying to keep me down would get overpowered by focusing my mind on something i hold as a safeguard.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
it was a horrible experience for me too. i hallucinated a grey alien abduction. sleeping on your back is supposed to help.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The trick is...

Set an alarm for a time you know you will be in R.E.M (rapid eye movement) there can be a few stages of R.E.M throughout the night, you will have to figure out when your body is in this stage... set an alarm to interupt your R.E.M stage of sleep.

You will wake up and be half asleep/half awake

Turn off alarm and slowly doze off again... the stage you go back to sleep in will certainly induce a lucid dream state, which from my experience is great, most the time i cant actually manipulate what is happening in the dream... but i sure as hell know i am dreaming and can do whatever i want in the surroundings my mind puts me in.

From my experience i find it a lot easier when i have a nap during the day (Power nap) the kind you fall asleep almost instantly, if you feel like this set an alarm for 20 mins which will usually interupt the r.e.m and again it will get you there a lot quicker...

Now as for astral projection... i am not to sure i beleive in this.

But i know when i get sleep paralysis there always comes to a point where i start shaking/twitching violently and breathing gets hard... now i have heard people say that when they overcome this stage they can project.

So only time will tell if i ever decide to get that far.

Enjoy mates.

Edit...

Sleeping on your back is essential.
edit on 29-2-2012 by Vaxar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
you don't need to go through sleep paralysis to astral travel. i've unwillingly experienced sleep paralysis and it is scary and unpleasant. i've been experimenting with astral travel lately and so far i have been able to snap myself out of it at will (with sleep paralysis i couldn't).
the best tricks i have learned to successfully begin astral travel is to focus on the slight ringing noise inside your head. push all thoughts aside. listen and do not talk. and of course your body has to be completely relaxed. hope this helps!
edit on 29-2-2012 by ZiggyStardust because: typo

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

The "Experience" of Astral Projection/ OBE is very real.

I am 100% sure because I've experienced it quite a few times by inducing a trance/sleep paralysis state to make it happen.

Now am I sure if I'm actually entering some spirit world or observing the real world outside my body? I can't be 100% sure of that. I have yet to get positive proof. But I have read many experiences from other people seeing things that happen outside their body only to confirm it when they wake up.

Anyway once again the 'experience' of it all is definitely real and you can experience this with enough practice.

PS flying is the best!
edit on 29-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZiggyStardust
you don't need to go through sleep paralysis to astral travel. i've unwillingly experienced sleep paralysis and it is scary and unpleasant. i've been experimenting with astral travel lately and so far i have been able to snap myself out of it at will (with sleep paralysis i couldn't).
the best tricks i have learned to successfully begin astral travel is to focus on the slight ringing noise inside your head. push all thoughts aside. listen and do not talk. and of course your body has to be completely relaxed. hope this helps!
edit on 29-2-2012 by ZiggyStardust because: typo

Did you experience a trance like state before AP? If that is not SP, at least it's similar, because to succesfully AP you must not move your body, and to me it feels like SP when it happens.

I think the difference when you induce the trance/SP yourself compared to unwanted SP is that you can snap out of it at will, it's also very easy to leave an AP compared to staying in it.

But when SP comes randomly, it can take some time to get out of it because you werent ready for it. And it can be a very fightening experience for some reason.

Anyway my point is whatever happens when you try to AP, it does not feel like the SP people complain about in this thread because of one vital key: This time you are in control.

By the way my first OBE/AP was done exactly how you described. I woke up one night and for some reason got the idea to listen to the ringing. As I focused on it I went into a trance and succesfully had an OBE.

edit on 29-2-2012 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Malcher

The "Experience" of Astral Projection/ OBE is very real.

I am 100% sure because I've experienced it quite a few times by inducing a trance/sleep paralysis state to make it happen.

Now I'm I sure if I'm actually entering some spirit world or observing the real world outside my body? I can't be 100% sure of that. I have yet to get positive proof. But I have read many experiences from other people seeing things that happen outside their body only to confirm it when they wake up.

Anyway once again the 'experience' of it all is definitely real and you can experience this with enough practice.

PS flying is the best!

lol everytime i hang out with a good friend DeMeTri.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by braydenf

lol everytime i hang out with a good friend DeMeTri.

lol I'm getting Deja Vu, you've posted this comment before right?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

maaaybbe there is a glitch in the matrix.

yes i have. haha there is also a lot of out threads about out of body experiences too.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
My brother and I have suffered from sleep paralysis for as long as I can remember. It was the most frightening thing being 5 years old, and I can hear my mother having a conversation in the other room, I can't move, and there is something behind door that wants to get me. Absolutely horrifying. Can't move, can't scream, can't even open my eyes ( I guess this is where the Astral Projection part comes in) but can vividly see the room.

I still experience it at least a couple of times a month. For the longest time, I had no idea what it was. It takes some strong will, but I can usually wake myself out of the paralysis. However, if I try to go right back to sleep it will immediately happen again, so I usually get up and get something to drink and kind of walk around the house for a bit before trying to go back to sleep.

It doesn't frighten me as much anymore since I've read up about it. But for someone who rarely or has never experienced it, it can be horrific. I've since tried to make myself slip into a lucid dream when experiencing SP (worked a couple of times). However, the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me during SP was when I was a teenager. I left my body and passed through my bedroom wall and was floating on my back in my front yard. I remember some sort of string or something that was attached to me and my physical body. I had no idea what was going on... was I dying??? Scared me enough that I snapped back into my body like a rubber band. Never had that kind of experience since.

P.S. This has always happened to me while I was sleeping on my back...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
As an occasional sufferer of SP dating back 30 years and having discussed many of times on ATS i think your crazy for wanting to experience this

I understand your thought process on not being scared and wanting to experience the physical side also however id say SP has given me some of the most frightening experiences in my life. Id never wish it on anyone.

Each to their own i guess but id say you will struggle to be in control. In my experience and from discussion with other the "Fear" of SP is about 80% of the experience. The other 20% is simply being paralysed

Good Luck

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

I honestly don't know why anyone would want it.

I've tried astral projection and I never go anywhere besides asleep, and I have sleep paralysis way more than what's considered normal, at least 4 or 5 times a month.

You may not have any fear of it and that's a good thing, as it isn't anything to fear, but it's incredibly scary when it's happening. Especially when you start seeing what it is you're dreaming right in your room.

I've heard that to start lucid dreaming you are supposed to periodically (when awake) tell yourself "I'm dreaming, I can control what is currently happening to me". Do this for several weeks, every hour or so. Then you will start subconsciously doing it while asleep. That is the only thing I can think of that might work for someone wanting to try it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Dude it's a terrible feeling. I have had sleep paralysis since I was 11. I really notice it happens to me if I take a nap during the day, and then when I try to sleep later it'll happen, so I usually try to avoid naps. I'm not too sure about this astral projection stuff cause that never has happened to me. All that happens to me is what feels like my mind begins to wake up, but my body does not. I'm almost still in a dream state but am aware of my surroundings, I usually try to scream for my girlfriend to wake me, but it feels like the I have no voice, and I often end of whispering what ever I'm trying to yell. Had a couple terrible times where I felt like I was being watched or captured, but thats a whole different story

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's an unnerving experience, but I wouldn't necessarily call the sensation itself frightening. If you've never had it, it freaks you out a bit. The time I had my OBE experience, it was probably only the third time I'd experienced sleep paralysis in my life, but I was able to will myself out of body. The heavy feeling on your chest makes it feel like you can't get a breath, but I think this has more to do with the fact that you are not in conscious control of your breathing, your body has taken over for you, than actually not being able to breath.

The scary experiences, which are the effects of hypnagogic hallucinations, are what most people become frightened of. I've never seen or heard anything during a fully conscious episode of sleep paralysis. There has only been one instance I can think of where it felt like there was a presence in my room, and I was only semi conscious. I wouldn't let these kinds of experienced deter you. I'm pretty fearful of weird stuff like that, and it doesn't deter me.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
the trick is to allow your physical body to go to sleep (paralize) while your mind is still awake. your body has ways to check to see if you are still awake, you know that urge to roll over and change position? that is your body asking your mind (you still awake) if yes you will move if no it goes into paralisis. So next time you get the urge to move DONT and trick your body into going to sleep, voila sleep paralisis, and all those stories about ghosts and the hag or what ever it is, is fake, you feel like someone is sitting on you because you are no longer in conrol of the most basic function we have breathing it's now on automatic hense the feeling someone is sitting on your chest. for more information google lucidology 101 it's free.

good night,sleep tight, well you know the rest

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join