It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The government is trying to protect us from straw holes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Thank God the holy government is there to protect the public from evil straw holes!

Bill proposes no straw hole for drive-through daiquiris

Senator Dan Claitor proposes legislation to make it illegal for drive-through daiquiri shops to continue to use lids that can be punctured by a straw.

"This bill simply says it can't be pre-perforated," he explained.

The Baton Rouge lawmaker wants to remove the straw hole to make it harder for drive-through daiquiri customers to put a straw in their drink while they drive to their destination.

Seriously Louisiana... there's nothing more important than that to deal with?

Not to mention, how in the hell is that government's business??
edit on 29-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Isn't it illegal to drink and drive as it is?

Who the hell is going to protect me from the government.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Actually, there is almost no place in the country with drive-thru alcohol stores, and those that do have drive-thrus are very particular about "packaged" liquors.

Daiquiris are definitely liquor.

However, a straw hole or no straw hole is a ridiculous detail. Either you want drive-thru daiquiri bars or you do not want them. It is ridiculous to have them, but then try to neuter them as much as possible.

link   

Next thing you know, they (TPTB) will be pushing to remove the straw holes from drive through coffee shop lids...Oh the travisity.

link   

This is gonna cause alot of auto accidents, What happens when drunks try to put the straw in the cup, in the dark, while driving. Instant wreck, lol.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Actually, there is almost no place in the country with drive-thru alcohol stores

Yeah I didn't know these existed...

They should put a cop on duty at each exit... drinking and driving? Instant jail.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Actually, there is almost no place in the country with drive-thru alcohol stores

Yeah I didn't know these existed...

They should put a cop on duty at each exit... drinking and driving? Instant jail.

I was shocked to learn about them from a friend also. Nothing remotely similar to this in Missouri!

I was also shocked to find out there are bars in Florida on the beach, where you can go in, buy a drink or a beer, and carry it out of the store while drinking it and go for a walk down the beach, or the boardwalk, or get in your car and drive away! Most places I've ever lived made you throw away your drink before exiting the bar.

Then, I finally visited New Orleans, and sure enough! Drive-up Daiquiri bars, people walking down the streets in the French Quarter with their "hand grenade" drinks, "Big Beers" and other New Orleans specialities!

A straw hole is the least of their worries.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If you're not allowed to drive after you drink, how is it legal to drive while you drink?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Because by definition you are not yet drunk? Just trying to think along with you.

I'd rather the government spends their time trying to protect me from a different sort of hole, it begins with an a but it's not on the tip of my tongue.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I thought I went through a time wormhole when I saw my 1st drive thru daquerie(sp?) in Louisiana. It was a weekday and I got myself a 12oz "180 proof" Cajun Eggnog... for $1.05!! I was shaking like a leaf worrying about the cops pulling me over down the road after leaving that place. I don't understand how those places have lasted so long.

They keep liquor drive thrus legal AND care about my health and safety on the roads?
I

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
If you're not allowed to drive after you drink, how is it legal to drive while you drink?

It's not legal.

When they give it to you, there's electric tape on the straw hole... that way it's still ``closed alcohol container``... if you are stopped and drink it, you are not driving and drinking... and I doubt you break the alcohol limit just drinking a daiquiri... depending on the size of course.

If you open the container or put a straw in, it's considered an open container with alcohol in the car and it's illegal.

So my guess, the only way it's legal for you to go there is to buy a daiquiri, leave it shut, go home and drink it there... but by the time you're home, your daiquiri probably isn't a daiquiri anymore.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Thank God the holy government is there to protect the public from evil straw holes!

Bill proposes no straw hole for drive-through daiquiris

Senator Dan Claitor proposes legislation to make it illegal for drive-through daiquiri shops to continue to use lids that can be punctured by a straw.

"This bill simply says it can't be pre-perforated," he explained.

The Baton Rouge lawmaker wants to remove the straw hole to make it harder for drive-through daiquiri customers to put a straw in their drink while they drive to their destination.

Seriously Louisiana... there's nothing more important than that to deal with?

Not to mention, how in the hell is that government's business??
edit on 29-2-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I guess so it is harder to drink and drive?

If you have ever driven in New Orleans you will soon find out that you can find worse drivers
if you loaded the streets with blind senior citizens.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mastahunta

Yeah because people won't remove the top to drink??

I mean... if you want to make it hard, ban drives in for bars...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

....Drive through daiquiri?

WTF?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I remember in Ohio we had drive-thru's .. you could pick up a case of beer or a few bottles of wine and cigars on your way home from work. It was awesome in the winter.. you don't have to get out of the car or anything..

But a drive-thru daiquiri is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Why not have drive-thru Whiskey stands.. you can drive by, get a few oz's straight or on the rocks and promise not to drink it till you get home.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
How bout instead of getting rid of straw holes we get rid of the stupid idea of DRIVE-THRU LIQUOR!!! I am glad we dont have these in my area...we have enough problems with drunk drivers here.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You can buy shots also, they come in a test tube, or a small 1 oz plastic cup with lid, for your convenience.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chopperswolf

I really don't know what to say to that to be quite honest..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by chopperswolf

I really don't know what to say to that to be quite honest..

You say nothing, ya drink.

There should be a limit they can sell to people driving so they can't get over the limit...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

reply to post by mastahunta

Yeah because people won't remove the top to drink??

I mean... if you want to make it hard, ban drives in for bars...

I'm not arguing, just trying to point out the inanely obvious...

Like I said, I New Orleans many people drive 5 miles an hour and often times just stop in
traffic for no clear reason.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join