It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Year on, Ghosts Stalk Japan's Tsunami City

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ishinomaki city was devastated in Japan's tsunami , this report from AFP By Miwa Suzuki tells of the peoples belief that the ghosts of the dead haunt the city reliving the moments before the wave struck .

One reconstruction project appears stalled because of fears the undead spirits of those who perished last March will bring bad luck.
"I heard people working to repair the store became sick because of ghosts," Satoshi Abe, 64, said, gesturing to a half-repaired supermarket.
"People died everywhere, here and there. The city is full of such stories," he said.

One taxi driver, who did not want to give his name, told AFP of his unwillingness to stop in parts of the city that were all but wiped out by the enormous waves of last March, because he worries that his customer will be a spirit.
A woman who lives in the city said she had heard stories of queues of people who can be seen rushing towards the hills as they try again and again to escape the waves, an endless replay of their last, fruitless minutes.
www.google.com...

I have heard it said that ghosts are the spirits of people that have died in traumatic circumstances and are unaware they are dead , or maybe in this case they are just a manifestation of the grief of the people lucky enough to survive the tragedy .

Shinto priests have been called upon to console the souls of the dead and ease their passage into the next world before they purify the places their bodies were found.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

"I heard people working to repair the store became sick because of ghosts," Satoshi Abe, 64, said, gesturing to a half-repaired supermarket.

I doubt it is ghosts that have made people sick...unless radiation is an ingredient for those who come to an untimely death.

Any anyways, Japanese culture has always been fascinated with this topic. Now, if they get something on camera, which they have an abundance of, then we should re-think the circumstances of death; otherwise, this should be expected from that region.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Very interesting

I love tales like this, its always fun to wonder about.
And my love goes to all those that have suffered from the tsunami.

It seems like Japanese and other Asian cultures see ghosts on a different point of view, and I like their way to see on things.

A friend of mine who come from Thailand, told me when we were younger, about the tales of lost spirits wandering around in their streets. That you could sometime hear sandals running up the street, and then stop.
He also kinda told me the same story as you, that it is spirits trapped in time, trying to escape their own death.

All that he told me when he was around 12 years old. He told about it, like it was something standard to know.
So I guess they take it very serious

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yea I heard stories about my granddad when he was a taxi driver he would never go to certain places because it was forbidden or something so he wouldn't bring a group of people so another taxi driver brought them instead and that driver ended up getting sick.

Or it could be just a coincidence

On a serious note I do believe in spirits not wanting to move on maybe because they don't realise their dead or they have loved ones or something important that isn't finished ect, all those sort of things.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The Japanese do have a cultural belief in Ghosts or Yūrei in that they are thought to be spirits kept from a peaceful afterlife.

However, if the person dies in a sudden or violent manner such as murder or suicide, if the proper rites have not been performed, or if they are influenced by powerful emotions such as a desire for revenge, love, jealousy, hatred or sorrow, the reikon is thought to transform into a yūrei, which can then bridge the gap back to the physical world.

The yūrei then exists on Earth until it can be laid to rest, either by performing the missing rituals, or resolving the emotional conflict that still ties it to the physical plane. If the rituals are not completed or the conflict left unresolved, the yūrei will persist in its haunting.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Propaganda when what is killing people isn't so much supernatural but is coming from Fukushima. Tepco are probably spreading bul# like this meanwhile the planet gets poisoned

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Its still happening, and there are a rash of ghost passengers taking taxi rides now!

Horrified cabbies pick up 'GHOST PASSENGERS' in area devastated by 2011 Japan tsunami

At least seven taxi drivers in Ishinomaki have reported such an experience of a 'phantom fare', according to The Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

The coastal town in Miyagi Prefecture was among the regions most seriously affected by the deadly tsunami, which killed nearly 16,000 people in total.

More than 3,000 Ishinomaki residents lost their lives in the tragedy, including 70 students and nine staff members at Ishinomaki Okawa Elementary School.

He said he was working in the town when a young woman dressed in a coat climbed into his cab near Ishinomaki Station and told him: “Please go to the Minamihama (district).” In response, he told her that the area was 'almost empty' and asked her if she was sure she wished to go there.

The woman replied in a trembling voice, "Have I died?".

Chillingly, the driver said he then turned around in his seat - but no one was there.

Another cabbie, in his forties, spoke of a similar experience.

He said a young man climbed into his taxi and asked to go to “Hiyoriyama" (mountain).

The customer would not elaborate on his response, but pointed in the direction he wished to go in, he said.

The driver set off, but when he eventually pulled over, he realised the passenger had disappeared, the newspaper reports.

Creepy stuff.

top topics

join