It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're On Food Stamps, You Should Lose Voting Privileges?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by buster2010

None of the founders would support anything this country does today NOT A SINGLE ONE especially what passes for welfare.

because if they did they would have put rob from the rich give to the poor over 100 million Americans can't survive without a Government paycheck.
edit on 29-2-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

The founders also would have said quite clearly to free slaves if they wanted it
but they didn't..matter of fact, they defined a bit of slavery also in regards to how much of a person they are

Why then did we decide to overrule the perfect wisdom of the founders by freeing slaves?

-eyeroll-

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Are you really under the impression that slavery ever ended in this country?

Never has.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

What about women? Seems our founding fathers seemed to have forgotten all about the rights of women.

Seems they didn't get it all right eh?

You would probably support them not having rights anyway...ya know...since you hate everyone.
edit on 29-2-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Never has.

Guess not
Corporations now enslave nations

and..well..corporations are people, my friend.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Since you obviously know what i think how about just filling in the rest of this post and any other save me the trouble and do something worth my time.

Since apparently the only thing sad little people can do is make me the topic.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Who cares just as long as the American gets their free food,free education,free healthcare and free homes and their free retirements.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Since you obviously know what i think how about just filling in the rest of this post and any other save me the trouble and do something worth my time. Since apparently the only thing sad little people can do is make me the topic.

You make yourself the topic. The comments you post are your thoughts...are they not???

You seem to be someone who likes to dole out the criticism but can't handle it himself....and whenever this happens...you cry, "I'm not the topic!!!" Well bud, if you don't want to be criticized for your comments, quit posting.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Hardlly other people do God forbid someone have a different viewpoint attack and marginalize.

Do people really think i give a # what people say on here I don't but my patience is at and end.

Move on to someone else

16) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, libelous, defamatory, hateful, intolerant, bigoted and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Seems ATS terms and Conditions are quite clear on this
edit on 29-2-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Who cares just as long as the American gets their free food,free education,free healthcare and free homes and their free retirements.

Sounds good actually...unfortunately that is not the way things turn out. Instead, what is given is special favors and special interests so a few people can get golden mansions, meanwhile the rest have their rights infringed, their minds sedated, and their paychecks go overseas due to unjust trade laws.

No, we should not reward and incentivise laziness of the poor person, however that is stealing a breathmint when you compare the blatant political tayloring of our entire system to prop up corporations that are fueling the total collapse of the western market for their own profit consolidation...If you read this far, you deserve a cookie btw, but moving on. What is more disturbing is soo many people are more concerned about the mint theft poor person, and they totally ignore, or even cheer on the corporate bank robber.

and I see your type as the biggest contributor to the current state of affairs..not to say your discussions don't have merit in itself, but you, in my views of your focus, spend countless hours decrying the mint stealing poor, while indeed justifying the bank robbery, or at least turning a blind eye because the paid off cops (politicians and talking heads) told you to.

in 1776, some men got together and came up with an absolutely brilliant new way of thinking..not totally new mind you (magna carta was used as a inspiration), but new for the times...but it was a living document. the FF knew they weren't going to get it right on the first, second, or 500th time for an eternity...its a living document. Each step taken, from the first amendment, to the 999th amendment in the future is under the hopefully wise guidance that it is to create a more perfect union. So, get over the mindset of "omg, the FF would have never thought or done that'....no kidding...otherwise they probably would have..but as shown, the women thing, the slave thing, etc...they were not gods..they were men using wise council and with the best knowledge and understanding of the day...knowing the knowledge would grow and more wisdom would come in future generations.

The more you demand things stagnate to a 1776 style governance, the less you honor the highly progressive spirit of the founding fathers.

-book over-

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Well they are the lowest of the low in society so i wouldn't care if they did lose their privileges.

Financially speaking, you are correct. But morally, spiritually, .. how can you paint with such broad a brush of absolute ignorance... I wonder how you will feel if you loose any means of monetary income... foot in mouth perhaps....

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Wow, is all I can say. The atmosphere in here is extremely thick. Both sides have good points, to some effect. I have been on both sides of that fence and can relate whole-heartedly.

When I was 13-14, times got really hard for my family. My mother was trying to fend for 5 kids on here own. It was in the late 70’s just before Ronald Regan. My mother was at the lowest point in here life. She did have an upholstery business and did allot of other work on the side to include teaching art at a local community college. But, in the late seventies when things got bad, there was little to no work. My mother had always done well until then.

My mother had a great deal of pride so you cannot even image how terrible it was that she had to seek assistance. She was a liberated woman and didn’t mind doing things on her own without a husband. Its all thanks to people like Anita Bryant, and I can’t fault her for that, because I had never seen her take a day off in her life.

Anyways, she did receive general relief and food stamps for a period of about 6 months or so. In addition, we would go stand in the cheese line twice a month, and the rice line once a month. Both the rice and cheese were packaged in plain white packages with black lettering. On a side note, a couple of years latter, those packages of foods were showing up at the grocery and termed as “Generic”.

It was during that 6 months that I had learned humility. And I do personally believe that it might have made me a better person. If everyone was put in that position at least once early in their lives, we might have a better society.

In any event, I watched my mother manage what little money was provided. She paid for rent, food, clothes, and regular incidentals. It was not squandered in any way shape or form. Every cent was accounted for. And, meals were sometimes interesting. There is nothing like having spaghetti for dinner and finding it included things like corn and peas. When you would ask about it she would say, “ I’m stretching it. Now, shut up and eat it.” And follow that up with “ Do you know there are starving kids in Africa”.

My point is that I grew up in a time when things were done right. There wasn’t a drug epidemic, there wasn’t a serious crime problem, and OUR children were instilled with Family Values.

The welfare system has turned into a JOKE. Just about anyone can call em up and have assistance within the week. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. People have discovered that they don’t have to do a damn thing and draw a check. Welfare fraud and abuse runs rampant like a rabid dog in heat. Last year, our Governor was due to sign in a law requiring recipients to take random drug testing, as well as meet other requirements. I thought to myself, Hell Yes, that will put stop to that sh*stuff. But wait, it was declared unconstitutional because, Why penalize the child when it is the adults problem.

Now, I do propose a simple remedy. How about We Put Benefits in the Childs Finger Print. Can’t you imagine that? That would require both the parent and the child to make a transaction. Maybe there are allot of reasons that it might not work, but I bet I can come up with just as many reasons why it might.

As for being restricted from voting, I find that to be completely unconstitutional. Let alone the fact that there are voters in that group of unfortunates.

This is not something that I think is going to fly. It stands no chance ever actually. My proof is,. . .. . . . This thread . . . Can you see how passionate some seem about their points of view. There are powers of both good and evil in politicians that make those decisions.

I would also like to rebut the claim that this thread is Just about foods stamp programs. I say its NOT. I say that all of those programs reek of Fraud and Abuse and it pi$$es me off. They are indicative of MASS CORRUPTION. Imo I think the way the monies are distributed needs to be rewritten.

In the mid 80’s a program called Metropolitan Housing completely destroyed the housing market. This was a time when a typical 2-bedroom apartment went for $250.00 a month. Metropolitan offered a maximum amount of $450.00 for that same apartment providing that the property had been metropolitan approved. From that point on, everyone wanted to get the maximum money out of their property weather it was worth it or not.

That is an example of the mass corruption.

This is a problem that EVERYONE needs to work on. But, until we ALL agree to do the right thing, we will be losing things like our right to vote. And, until EVERYONE is damn sick and tired, and on their last damn nerve, and actually grows a pair, we shall not see the end of the corruption that causes us ALL to pay.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Wow! Shocking and sickening comments in this thread! Its not surprising that our country is falling on its face when you hear others refer to their fellow man as trash and useless because they are in a situation beyond their control. It makes me want to just give up on the lot of humanity and just join the slaughter! Granted some of you who were being so crude may have just got off of work and had a bad day...but imagine if there was no work for you or the work you had paid so little it took the check just to go.Imagine worrying everyday if your kids are going to eat,forget about yourself...just got to feed the kids..but you don't have it! Imagine the the major humiliation of having to pretty much beg a social worker to put you on food stamps to feed the kids! The reality of the situation to those who really don't have a clue on how food stamps work is this: YOUR NOT GETTING RICH! An average healthy adult is given around $58 a month, around $250 for an adult with children.That's for an entire month of food. Granted if you are working this is just the right amount to help get you on your feet,but you still are not living large as some would love to think.
Obviously there are people who take advantage of this and do nothing to improve their situation,this is shameful and draining on the economy and you should be punished for such. However, NEVER should a citizen be stripped of there right to vote in a country they live in because their peers feel they are below them socially,morally or any other prideful standard. Is this not what is done from the dreaded powers that be so many rant about on this site?Why then would you ever suppress the same judgement to your kin? SMH...I just don't know what else to say! Do unto others and all that...whatever! Just grow up! We are all going to be in the same boat before too long anyway!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ideasarebulletproof
dailycaller.com...

Just read this ridiculous article.
So according to this guy, people on food stamps should:
1. Lose voting privileges so "they couldn’t vote for greater benefits or easier terms (most of them don’t vote, but now they couldn’t)."

2. Be forced to shop at "Government Stores" so they feel the humiliation of being "wards of the state".
Oh and the "Government food products" would be easily recognizable, to further humiliation for people on food stamps.

3. Be subject to monthly tobacco and drug screening, and if found with tobacco or drugs in their system, be dropped from the program.

I really hope this is a joke, but I'm guessing it isn't. The sad thing is, a lot of people on this site will probably agree with this reprehensible person.

edit on 2/29/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/29/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

reluctantly.. i have to agree with this idea.

being on food stamps is a priviledge. having someone ELSE support you.. is a priviledge.. other people are paying for YOU to survive.
i've been on food stamps before, and believe me it's not fun.. and if you have no direction in life, or are indulgent and lazy, i could EASILY see it being abused on a mass scale.

i think it's a RIGHT to be able to live on this planet without having to be a 'slave' to the point of abusive pointless work that does not use your personal talents efficiently....
but to have other people work to let you chill at home for free with zero cooperation to humanity.. and then increase taxes more because medicade pays for lung cancer sufferer's service.. whom themselves got from smoking cigarettes (former smoker here) ... that's just not fair.. and in fact when you see the big picture it's actually insane.. and in a sense actually seems to ENCOURAGE unhealthy behavior with cigarettes and junk food.

there was an article i read about a concept called "food oasis" which focused on the fact that in the vast majority of throughout the low income neighborhoods of america.. exist only convinced stores within walking distance.. while many low income people cannot afford the gas (or vehicles) to get to a place with healthy food...
these conveninece stores have expensive junk food alcohol and tobacco .. and nothing healthy..

what this very real situation CAUSES.. is unhealthy people who suffer from maladies caused by their diet and consumption of vices .. which ups the bill on tax payer payed medicare...
why would the government (and tax payers) have to PAY for people to eat this crap and

if anything i think this idea is putting the bureaucracy and their lobbyists that are making BILLIONS off of tobacco and junk food ... off of the government aided foodstamps program.. that money FROM the taxpayer is going directly into medicaid-contracted health services and junk food companies who have zero interest in helping YOU out and your wallet....

if it makes people (viewed in this situation by the gov as numbers here).. who have zero or low income HEALTHY or HEALTHIER than before..by a non junkfood diet and less tobacco... then you're paying LESS for medicade towards them...

YOU the taxpayer are paying LESS by this happening... and you want LESS humiliation of being on food stamps buying bland white "dharma" type foods then get healthy and gradually attempt to work your self back up till you can afford products with pretty graphics and labels on them.

this is a money issue not an ego-bruising one.

i understand the gravity of the unemployment situation in this country right now.. believe it i feel it just as much as anyone... and have suffered greatly from it.. but i can look at it unbiasedly and see the logic in the offered solution in this article.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
Well That wouldn't work out too well for obama, that's half his voter base.

Nice political bait post there.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   

reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

America is no different now than when it was formed.

Same problems same BS different day.

LOL OK. Ya know, you can't always hind behind the founders and argue from authority. You interpret their writings the way you want to, then pretend they apply to today.

But they don't. Come up with a better argument than "The founders said X 200+ years ago, therefore X".

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by andersensrmI'd bet the folks who agree with this are the ones who don't tithe at their churches either. (I don't - I don't go to church - I don't need a building for spirituality) And what about the children. Does the idiot that proposed this, and those that agree with it, wish to humiliate the children as well? Or would they prefer the children to go hungry? And the mentally disabled? Or the soldiers? I've read that a good 40% of those serving in the military these days are on food stamps. I've wasted enough of my time on these folks, who fail to understand and/or lack compassion towards their fellow human beings. Isn't this how your Bible says you go to HELL? "Love thy neighbor as thyself" . . . or something like that?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Don't think so for the simple fact what they said 200 years ago is still said today and will be for another 200 unlike this thread.

The founders said X like the Us Constitution.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I think that most people on foodstamps and any government assistance would rather do an honest days work,but at this moment in time theres not enough jobs to go around.but then there are those people that just scam the system ,Im from wisconsin and back in the 80s an early 90s i knew people that got ssi and disability checks for being alchoholics and thought they deserved it.And there were woman that would just keep getting pregnant to stay on welfare,the governor tommy thompson passed welfare reform an people would have to get job traing or schooling,and if they didnt do that they would lose their benefits.thats the only good thing he did as governor.thankyou op for the post s&f for you

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Again, No substance, just riding on the founders coat tails to further your own opinions. You are full of sound bites, not ideas.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Hilarious really just what do you think every American in this country is doing?

Riding on the founders coat tails.

Nice personal attack which doesn't have any substance who knew that so many people have problems with free speech oops riding on the founders coat tails again.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join